Perishable Trafic
postman Wrote:
Mike Kieran Wrote:I'm modelling 1979. My perishable traffic is fresh fish so that I have a reason for calling my railroad the Port Able Railway. My facilities are basic, a Pikestuff loading ramp to load the reefers from across the parking lot of the pier and warehouse.

Nice!. Do you have a photo of that industry?

Not yet. Layout building is on hold for now due to my one year old daughter's first birthday and working on child number 2. It's really as easy as a team track platform, but it doesn't even have to be that. At the old Fulton Fish Market in NYC, they just loaded pallets of fish onto the truck with a forklift.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:I'm modelling 1979. My perishable traffic is fresh fish so that I have a reason for calling my railroad the Port Able Railway. My facilities are basic, a Pikestuff loading ramp to load the reefers from across the parking lot of the pier and warehouse.

Thanks!. BTW. Do you know a good and safe place for railfanning freight trains in NYC?
NY&A Bushwick Branch isn't bad. NY&A A Yard in Long Island City has some areas to shoot. The Fresh Pond Junction Yard is a good spot too.

New Jersey has some shortlines like the NYNJ Rail & Port Jersey Railroad operations as well as the East Jersey Terminal Railroad and tons of CSAO ops.

If you go on Railroad.net, there are tons of information on where to go.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:NY&A Bushwick Branch isn't bad. NY&A A Yard in Long Island City has some areas to shoot. The Fresh Pond Junction Yard is a good spot too.

New Jersey has some shortlines like the NYNJ Rail & Port Jersey Railroad operations as well as the East Jersey Terminal Railroad and tons of CSAO ops.

If you go on Railroad.net, there are tons of information on where to go.

Thanks Mike!
On the L&N here in Frankfort, KY, in the late 70s through the mid 80s, we frequently received reefers of perishable food items that were unloaded on one of the team tracks. Shipments included butter, meat, and turkeys for the school system. Interesting thing was that most of these shipments were Stop Off cars, that would go to at least three of the school systems in this part of the state.

Typically, the car would stop in Shelbyville where the Shelby County Schools would unload their portion, then the car would be forwarded to Frankfort where Franklin County Schools, unloaded their portion and then the car would finally be forwarded to Lexington for the Fayette County Schools to unload the remainder of the shipment. Always got one or two car loads of frozen turkeys this time of the year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The butter shipments were usually "Print Butter", you know the little squares of butter on wax paper. At least twice I remember us getting stop off cars of ham for the schools in the late 70s.

Gives you a loads in/loads out movement that only requires a team track or other open spot to handle. The schools would just send their own refrigerated van to the team track and transfer their part of the load directly from the reefer to the van.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I´m modeling the mid 2000s and If I´m right all the perishable trafic goes to big warehouses.
Postman,
Until recently, the Ballard Terminal Railway shipped out frozen fish much the way that I described. The Mount Vernon Terminal Railway also shipped out frozen fish.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I plan on modelling a portion of PEI potato traffic that was shipped from small warehouses and sometimes loaded directly from trucks to reefers or insulated boxcars. I'm still working on my era but I doubt it will be any earlier than 1975 but no later than 1985.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
postman Wrote:I´m modeling the mid 2000s and If I´m right all the perishable trafic goes to big warehouses.

Some reefers are unloaded on transload track.. The majority of these transload areas are operated by contractors. The receiver pays this company to unload the car and deliver their product.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Lots of inbound perishable traffic with two grocery warehouses modelled, plus a cannery. Outbound (off-layout destinations) include fresh fish, sugar beets, fruit and vegetables, and dairy products. There are also livestock movements, both in- and outbound, and plenty of overhead perishable traffic, moving across the layout from "somewhere" to "somewhere else".

Wayne
GERN also ships out food products. They compact by 3% to fit into the reefers.

Defense contractors and chemical companies also use reefers for temperature sensitive materials. Of course with GERN's military weapons division, the materials are 3% more stable.

If you model 1980, you get to include IPD boxcars (yay!).

Oh yeah, maybe this is why my wife tells me that I need a life. 35 Icon_lol
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines