Wisconsin in N
Hi, I've been admiring the great modelling throughout this forum for a while, so as my first post I thought I'd introduce myself and show what I'm up to!

I've been modelling various scales for about 35 years, the last 10 I returned to N scale but now American prototype. My main interest is operations, so that is the focus of my layout, admittedly at the cost of creating a rats nest! But hey, it works for me. I've taken the bulk of my 'inspiration' for this layout from Wisconsin, based at the end of the Wisconsin Central period. The WC2scale yahoo group have been a great help in providing me with information and photos of areas I can't access as I live in the UK.

Basically this is a around the room 'nolix' design with three levels, staging at each end of the main, a depot and yard with adjacent industrial park (that was once a separate switching layout) in the centre and a branch to a paper mill.

So ..... here's a few photos, though no where near the level of modelling I see through this forum, but you all inspire me to do better!

First the depot and main yard - still a fair bit of work to do here, utility poles need painting and 'planting' once the moulded bases are removed, building at the back need finalizing:

[Image: Depot.jpg]

[Image: MainYard3.jpg]

[Image: MainYard2.jpg]

Next the industrial park on the edge of town, lots of details and finishing to be done here (especially those utility poles! I must make that a priority 357 :
[Image: IndEst1.jpg]

[Image: IndEst2.jpg]

[Image: IndEst3.jpg]

Towards the other end of the layout are a couple of industries including a mill complex, this awaits weathering and detailing:
[Image: Mill.jpg]

And a large lumber mill (which supplies pulp wood and wood chips to the paper mill) loads of work here still to do! More pesky utility poles to plant, trees to plant (loads more needed) pipes to the wood chip loader, and all buildings to be weathered:
[Image: LumberYardApproach.jpg]

[Image: LumberYard1.jpg]

[Image: LumberYard2.jpg]

And finally we have the paper mill itself, again far from finished!
[Image: PaperMill3.jpg]

[Image: PaperMill2.jpg]

[Image: PaperMill1.jpg]

Being a glutton for punishment I also have an HO scale shelf layout in progress based on the Wisconsin Central's Banta Sub, just bare boards, track and some building mock-ups done on this so far.

I'm also wanting to plan an N scale shelf layout to use the collection of Norfolk and Western diesels and rolling stock I've somehow accumulated! This would be based around 1968 to 1974, but that's as far as I've though so far!

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Hey Kev,

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting! Great looking layout! What is the large corrugated metal industry? It really caught my eye. I used to see lots of WC power rolling through New Brighton, MN. I miss it. It was a good looking road.
Ralph
Welcome to the Forum Kev...!!!

As a former Badger I'm always on the look-out for anything W related. Is this based on a particular location..?? Or is it a WC generic..??

Look forward to seeing your posts.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Hi Kev and Welcome . Good to see someone modeling in the normal scale! Nice layout you got there. Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks for the kind words guys, the layout has been 'in progress' for about 12 years - I'm not expecting it to be finished any time soon Icon_lol

It is a generic Wisconsin Central layout, but primarily based on the Stevens Point / Wisconsin Rapids area, but ther was so much cool stuff i 'cheery picked' rather than sticking to one specific location. The depot building for example is based on a GBW prototype similar in style, though considerably smaller than the one at Stevens Point. One of the guys on the WC2scale group was kind enough to say my paper mill reminded him of the one at Nekooska where he had worked 8-) one of my next projects is to build the Theile kaolin plant at Wisconsin rapids:

http://wc2scale.org/zenphoto/wc-industri...to.jpg.php

I had wanted to include parts of the 'Plover Sub', specifically the Del Monte and McCains plants, but haven't managed it yet.

Ralph, the large steel sided building is a scratch build representation of a Flambeau Plastics moulding company. They were one of the major suppliers I had dealings with when I was working in quality assurance some years ago. Not a Wisconsin based company, but I wanted to include a plastics company and it seemed fitting.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Your roads are in far, far too good of shape to be anywhere in Wisconsin.
railohio Wrote:Your roads are in far, far too good of shape to be anywhere in Wisconsin.
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
They're in far better shape than the ones in Northeastern Illinois ! Eek Eek Eek 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
We don't have roads in Michigan,just potholes with pavement in them. Eek :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Very nicely done..

Got more photos? Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Well Kev, that all looks very promising!
I don't think you need to do anything drastic to make your layout look even better, and as you've said , it's not finished and loads more to do,
so a here's a few things I think you could do with relative ease to make the layout look even better:
- weather the roads giving them a used and worn look.
- weather and/or paint (some of) the structures so you loose the plastic shine.
- blend in a few more colour and texture variations in the ballast/grasses etc, and use an airbrush or similar to give a bit of a general weathering to the whole area, blending things a bit further, by carefully over spraying with a dilluted weathering color.

I think those 3 steps will help you making it all look more realistic, and blend in. (remember that the colors you use to weather structures, should also be used on terrain, after all, a structure or similar, will be affected by the surroundings it is placed in).

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Thanks guys, I might be able to come up with a few more photos Wink

Koos, all the things you suggest are on my 'to do list'. I've been a bit wary of weathering as I've seen some horrible cases of excessive weathering. I'm currently working on a micro layout specifically to practice weathering techniques which I can then apply to the main layout. I'm also practicing weathering rolling stock as that can look amazing when well done.

Sadly when it comes to airbrushing I'm a ham fisted klutz!

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Kev1340 Wrote:Thanks guys, I might be able to come up with a few more photos Wink

Koos, all the things you suggest are on my 'to do list'. I've been a bit wary of weathering as I've seen some horrible cases of excessive weathering. I'm currently working on a micro layout specifically to practice weathering techniques which I can then apply to the main layout. I'm also practicing weathering rolling stock as that can look amazing when well done.

Sadly when it comes to airbrushing I'm a ham fisted klutz!

Cheers,

Kev

I used to be a hamfisted klutz myself, then progressed to reasonable levels (I am still far from being an expert, but getting more confident) . The idea of a practice layout is a good one, the only way to get to grips with something is to practice. weathering rolling stock can be done easily too. Just find yourself some old , even broken rolling stock at flea markets etc, doesn't matter what scale and what prototype they are, you can practice making things dusty, rusty, and anything in between, before you attempt it on your priced possesions, let alone a locomotive..

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Welcome aboard!!!

That's a very nice layout and quite large to boot!!! Everything seems to be near completion from what we can see. I second Ralph, your Flambeau Plastics building fits perfectly! Nothing beats a large industry, but I'm repeating myself!

I remember when CN absobed WC few years ago. Their nice boxcars were the first "foreign" cars I've seen on our local subdivision. Their still plenty of their beautiful boxcars still in the original classy paint scheme.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the welcome Matt.

The layout fills a 12ft x 10ft room, with a 50ft + main line run, so not a bad size. The basics are there, though as said lots of weathering and details to do. A couple areas have 'stand in' buildings that I'm not entirely happy with and will be redone at some point.

The biggy is a lack of signals. I'm not fussed about having working signals but I've not been able to find any suitable dummy signals. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Catt Wrote:We don't have roads in Michigan,just potholes with pavement in them. Eek :mrgreen:

Good to know crappy roads are all over North America... feels awkwardly good!

Kev1340 Wrote:Thanks for the welcome Matt.

The layout fills a 12ft x 10ft room, with a 50ft + main line run, so not a bad size. The basics are there, though as said lots of weathering and details to do. A couple areas have 'stand in' buildings that I'm not entirely happy with and will be redone at some point.

The biggy is a lack of signals. I'm not fussed about having working signals but I've not been able to find any suitable dummy signals. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Cheers,

Kev
Unfortunately, I'm modelling in the "WRONG" scale, can't be of any help. But if signals aren't working and prototypes not to fancy, maybe you could scratchbuilt them from wire and make small target with thin styrene sheet or paper.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/