Richwood
I have been observing the layouts here for some time. Now I'm thinking about turning a portion of spare room in my home into an N scale layout. When traveling to Cincinnati a few weeks ago, I discovered an industrial park in the suburb of Richwood, Kentucky. The park appears to be served by an NS local out of Erlanger in the evening or afternoon hours and at first glance appears to be a good candidate for a long, narrow, compact switching area that could be easily modeled. It appears that most of the customers n the actual Richwood area are receivers of paper, but if one is not completely in love with just boxcar traffic, some creative liberties could be taken to diversify the traffic base.

The modern design of the concrete and steel buildings in the industrial park would appear to make scratchbuilding the structures that would be relatively simple to do, especially with the guidance of some of the recent posts on this forum.

The area in question in an entire wall along one side of the available room and the 'L portion' is an alcove in the room that is almost EXACTLY the size of an 80" door. At this point, I think benchwork would be one 2' door in the alcove area and two 18" doors stretched end to end along the long wall.

A link the the area is provided here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=&mkt=en#JnE9LnJpY2h3b29kJTI1MmMlMmJreSU3ZXNzdC4wJTdlcGcuMSZiYj02MS42NTg5NjQ0NjQ1NzY4JTdlLTE2LjY4MTYxNzczNiU3ZTMuOTc0NjM3MDE0NTQ4MDUlN2UtMTU0LjY2OTg5ODk4Ng==">http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q ... g5ODk4Ng==</a><!-- m -->

Thoughts, comments & suggestions welcome!

Geno

Attached Files Image(s)

.pdf   Richwood.pdf (Size: 33.72 KB / Downloads: 222)
Hi, that looks interesting. The industry building of the Vent?* Group withe large glass windows at the corners is an absolute must! Looking forward how you building that model. The other one is the last building at the track with the tanks (reminds my on Walthers bakery tanks!).
Do you live close enough to go back and do a series of photos of the building details? Google streetview is not so good because the distance from the street to the buildings is so large. That is also true for the last industry with the tanks.
There is a lot of "unused" land. May be you can get closer without explicit trespassing?

* I can not read the company name clear enough on street view
Reinhard
Hi Geno;

Richwood is indeed an interesting area and is served by the NS out of Erlanger. Living close to that area, I've checked out that spur and several others in the area quite a few times over the past couple of years for inspiration for my own switching layout. A better view of the spur can be seen in this Google View: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Richwood,+...y&t=h&z=17. By the way, when looking for industrial spurs, use Google rather than Bing as Google map view will show the locations of spurs and other features that you won't see on Bing.

You've got a good variety of potential rail served industries on that spur, including: Merchants Cold Storage, Sherwood Foods, Roosevelt Paper, Verst Group Logistics (the building with the interesting window configuration), International Paper and finally Duro Bag Corp.

Your track plan does a nice job of capturing the look of the prototype and will be looking forward to seeing your progress.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I agree with Ed..You have capture the over all look of the prototype and I will say the industries Ed named is interesting and off the beaten path of normal layout industries.

Needless to say I like the plan and types of industries.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!