Rust
Have any of you used the rust system made by Sophisticated Finishes sold by craft stores, like Michaels?
I have tried it and it works quite well except for one problem. The Paint itself ( black with iron powder in it I am thinking) was completely solidified in the bottle when I brought it home --took it back-- got another , it was still liquid , barely ,and turned solid a day after opening. I saw a U tube presentation on using this product and in that the presenter stated that once the bottle is opened -- its" pot life" is rather short. In as much as this kit is 18 bucks from Michaels and apparently is only good for one use --more or less--.I think this may not be a problem to Michaels ,as they sell this kit to treat fairly large iron projects or large art projects -- not planning on a modeler wanting to use it over a long period.
I am wondering how buying some powdered iron at a chemical supply store and mixing it a bit at a time into black paint would work? Perhaps if one used water based paint you would not even need to use the acid wash that is part of the process, tho the acid wash from the kit will outlast their paint by ages!
Another thing IF this iron powder idea will work -- how much risk is there in trying to buy iron powder , considering that IF you were to mix it with Aluminum powder it creates thermite -- perhaps buing EITHER of these materials will have MIB knocking on your door or worse, everybody you know doors.

Dave ( Sending this from a hidden location JIC)
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
I'm glad you pointed that out ....bought mine a few months ago but haven't used it yet . I just shook the two bottles and both are liquid . Up here that kit is $25 at Michaels but the results I've seen are pretty good . Really , I like Synopia pigments , brushed on with Dyosol and a drop of diluted white glue , better than anything else I've seen or used .

Terry
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
teejay Wrote:I'm glad you pointed that out ....bought mine a few months ago but haven't used it yet . I just shook the two bottles and both are liquid . Up here that kit is $25 at Michaels but the results I've seen are pretty good . Really , I like Synopia pigments , brushed on with Dyosol and a drop of diluted white glue , better than anything else I've seen or used .

Terry

Thanks Terry ,
Perhaps both the kits I got at Michaels were very OLD stock and the one the guy on u tube was demonstrating was old as well. Maybe I will call the company and find out about getting fresh material .
I am still wondering if my suggestion of powder in ther paint might work?
What are Synopia pigments?
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Guess I misspelled it , it's Sinopia . I don't know how different the product is from Bragdon that is more familiar , but the product is in powder form and will last many , many years . The surface has a nice roughness to it , there are dozens of colours and shades ( must be 10 "rust " ) and if you use the dab of white glue , you don't have to spray with a fixitive ( which changes the whole look IMO ) . It makes a rusty , metal boiler look very real ....did this on my Sierra West Boiler House kit .

T
You got my attention on this one,, please post some pics on how it looks...
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I've got pics on my old computer drive that I haven't salvaged yet . Other than that , the models have all been packed away for moving . Sorry .

T
This gondola was done using the Sophisticated Finishes Rust system about 10 years ago...I like it, it works well but it can be over scale for HO at times...Id practise a bit on an old freight car or even paint some scrap plastic the body colour and then try the rust on it until you get the hang of it.

Cheers
Gene

[Image: DSCN1869.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1871.jpg]