Furnace Filter Trees.
Been sometime since I've posted something worth while on here. I've taken a shining to building furnace filter evergreens. Never having done this before, I consulted a couple of videos and on-line resources to man up the courage to try. After building four of them over the last couple nights, I have to admit I rather like the process and the results I get for a few hours of work. If I plan future builds right, I can probably knock of five or six a night. The methods used are not terribly difficult either.

Here are a couple photos of my results so far.

[Image: SAM_1079.jpg]

[Image: SAM_1081.jpg]

I'm not sure what I was trying to achieve with the last one but I still rather like it. I downloaded a hand book called "Tree Book - Learning to Recognize Trees of British Columbia" and saw the silhouette of the Black Spruce. So I wanted to duplicate the basic shape. I think its okay but it still needs some work. Perhaps some bare branches thrown in here and there. All in all I'll find a home for these on my layout for sure.

Thanks for looking.
One of the oldest forms of tree modeling and they still look damn good. :mrgreen:

Nice work.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
tetters Wrote:Been sometime since I've posted something worth while on here....

...but when you do post, it's always worthwhile. Goldth
Good lookin' trees, Shane. Thumbsup Thumbsup That type of furnace filter isn't seen much around my area, so it's probably a good thing that there's not a lot of spruce and pine forests in the area which I'm modelling. Misngth

Wayne
What type of furnace filter is it? And can I use it to make copper beeches?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
The furnace filter is commonly known as "Hogs Hair" type of filter. It either comes in blue or green depending on the manufacturer. The product I purchased was called True Blue. Although apparently you can get the same type of filter called NatruaAire (or something like it) at Wally World and it is green in colour. I have not tried the wally world stuff, but since you are going to paint your filter brown the colour really does not matter.

I think for your Copper Beech, you'd be best served by Super Trees from Scenic Express. The furnace filter is best suited to conifer trees.
Hi all; Nice work, as usual Shane. Always good to see what you're up to.

Cheers;
Gord Schneider
Port Credit, Ontario
President and Chief Engineer
Kootenay Lakes Steam & Navigation Co. Ltd.