When one door closes....
....another one takes its place. Misngth

For a long time, I've not been pleased by the end walls of the shop supply track of the Lowbanks Shops. (I'm not sure exactly how long, but I got the Vollmer roundhouse kit, from which the Lowbanks loco shop was built, in 1969, and built it as-intended. It was later torn apart to construct the shop building shown in the first photo). While the doors were operable, they opened inward, but what bothered me most was their wood construction (basswood sheeting scribed with random-width planks) and the fact that the shed-type gables they supported were supposed to represent brick. Not only is this a structural faux pas, Confusedhock: but even worse, it's æsthetically displeasing. Eek Misngth

[Image: CNR3513004.jpg]

I found some of the left-over walls from the original roundhouse and decided to correct that problem, and at the same time, fix a couple of other items. Here's one of the "new" walls, scribed to be cut and set in place:

[Image: LowbanksShops-May29th2013003.jpg]

And with the cuts complete:

[Image: LowbanksShops-May29th2013007.jpg]

I removed the old interior bracing (.125"x.125" basswood strips) and added similar-sized strip styrene as bracing and gluing surfaces:

[Image: LowbanksShops-May29th2013012.jpg]

Here's the front doors made-up from Evergreen .030" thick "O" scale passenger car siding. The bracing is .010"x.040" and .010"x.060" strip styrene. Because the doors are so thin, the pivot-type hinges (barely visible at the bottom of the doors) are .015" music wire. Door jambs and lintels are built-up from Evergreen strip and structural shapes, roughly mimicking the style used on the original roundhouse:

[Image: LowbanksShops-May29th2013009.jpg]

Here's the finished wall and doors in place. The back end of this area got the same treatment:

[Image: LowbanksShops-May29th2013016.jpg]

I also added steel posts (.080" styrene rod) with hooks (.015" piano wire) to which the doors can be attached when open, to prevent them flapping in the wind. The loop and eye assemblies on the doors were built from .012" brass wire, soldered together, then blackened:

[Image: LowbanksShops-May29th2013021.jpg]

All of the original roundhouse doors got the same treatment:

[Image: LowbanksShops-May29th2013022.jpg]

As you can see in this view, I replaced the original door on the lean-to with a more suitably-sized one, and added a few windows, too:

[Image: LowbanksShops-May29th2013026.jpg]

The final alteration was to the shop floor. The main part of the structure had brick paper over balsa sheet flooring, while the shop supply track's floor was Holgate & Reynolds embossed vinyl brick, also over balsa. The main problem was that the floor was too thick (by the thickness of the brick paper in the main area of the building and by that of the H&R sheet in the supply annex). Once enough of a locomotive's wheels were within the shop, they were lifted just far enough off the track to lose electrical contact.

[Image: LowbanksShops-May29th2013011.jpg]

Using a straightedge and a sharp blade, the offending material was trimmed back by a couple of brick-widths, then the exposed balsa painted with a similar colour. With the roof in-place, the missing detail is unnoticeable, and the need for the trusty 0-5-0 to drag a dead loco out by its coupler has been eliminated. Thumbsup Goldth

Wayne
Nice work ! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Great remodel! I'm really impressed by the door hardware! Thumbsup
Great job Wayne, I love the details. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Very nice job.

Larry
Nice ....makes the whole scene more interesting .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Hi Wayne.
When are you going to start putting some details on your projects? Goldth

This is unbelievable. That project was well worth the pleasure you got from doing it. I really like the rings and the posts to hold the doors open. A nice detail always overlooked, even by some of the prototypes.

Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:Hi Wayne.
When are you going to start putting some details on your projects? Goldth

This is unbelievable. That project was well worth the pleasure you got from doing it. I really like the rings and the posts to hold the doors open. A nice detail always overlooked, even by some of the prototypes.

Charlie

This Cheers is why I felt so honored to finish in the top three, with Wayne, in the voting for the "Duff" challenge.
The flip side of that is, keep up the good work - - - - I'm learning Wink Smile Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Nice work. So, the structure was still glued to the layout, and you dodn't even have to take it to the workbench to make this modification? Did this create any difficulty? I would have probably just tried to glue a brick veneer to the front of the old wall, but now that I have seen how this was not such a big deal - I may have less fear in actually gluing some of my structures down.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks for the kind words, guys. :oops:

Kevin, most of my structures (once I've determined that they're in the best place both operationally and visually) are simply held in place by the surrounding ground cover. The loco shop, however, was built before I had decided where to place it (most likely even before the layout was built) and there's a partially modelled foundation under the grey wood lean-to. Beneath the main brick portion of the structure (and the entire approach track area from the turntable and all of the crane-served area to the rear) is a slab of 3/4" plywood, and the balsa wood floor is simply glued to the plywood. The wood-sheathed lean-to and its partial foundation was pressed into wet Durabond, so I'm guessing that this entire structure is not removeable....at least if one wanted it to remain intact. Misngth Icon_lol

While working on it on the layout is less pleasant than at the workbench, most of the structure is very close to the edge of the layout, and layout height here is only 36" above the floor.

Wayne
Very nicely done Doc.. The interior really is a nice touch.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thanks Steve. The interior is from a time when I was more interested in such things, and some of the detail stuff has been removed, including a small overhead crane, some machinery, and working overhead lights. The crane and lights were sacrificed for an easily-removeable roof. Goldth

Wayne