Intermountain Grain Hooper
This is my second attempt at weathering a model & wanted to try & a use this image as a rough template to work from. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hiddenimages.ca/railroad/freightcars/images/500/skpx.gif">http://www.hiddenimages.ca/railroad/fre ... 0/skpx.gif</a><!-- m -->

Firstly it was a case of thinking up a way of getting the black rust streaks down the body. I started by masking off the body of the hooper using masking tape & leaving just some small strips on the body visible for the paint to get in.

[Image: DSC_0840.jpg]

Then came the blast of spray. I use Railmatch paints by Howes of London which do a range of railway colours to suit british outline models. For this i used dirty black from there weathering range. There paints are in my opinion brilliant & easy to use.

[Image: DSC_0841.jpg]

Once i had blasted the sides with the weathered black paint i removed the tape to reveal the black streaks which line up with the walkway brackets.

[Image: DSC_0842.jpg]

The bodywork & the streaks are far to in your face at this point so i thought i would give this a shot. At this point this was make or break time for me & the chances of destroying a very good model. I blasted the sides with dark rust paint in a very mist. The plan was to tone down all the colours of the bodywork 7 the streaks & hopefully make the whole job look more natural.

[Image: DSC_0844.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0843.jpg]

I Think that the finished product looks fantastic & i'm really impressed with the outcome. To just try & give the body extra tone & depth i finely blasted down the sides where the streaks were using the dirty black paint & give the streaks a bit more dirt. once this had dried i sealed it with dullcote.

[Image: DSC_0847.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0846.jpg]

Hopefully its captured the rough look of the photo, i'm impressed with the outcome anyway & best of all it only took a couple of hours.

Si
Looks a lot like the prototype photo to me! Thumbsup I'm fascinated by the way the black streaks developed those straight lines down the side of the real car.
Ralph
Thanks Ralph Wink

This is one of the things that fascinates me about American railroads. The state of some of the freight cars makes you think there only fit for the scrapper. It's a really good challenge painting something from a picture I must admit I probably spent more time choosing how to do this car than the actual painting of it.

I'm trying to concentrate my collection now to rolling stock items that would be used in the state of Maine but tracking down Bangor & Aroostook, Boston & Maine, Guilford System & Maine central items is hard here in the uk. I'm dreading the cost of import tax etc for a second hand loco I purchased & a exactrail freight car. I think I am going to have ago start asking the people I buy items from to put a birthday card in & write gift on the box so I don't get stung by the tax man.

Si