"Hammerhead" RS-3 Conversion, in HO Scale.
Guys,
Well, I've done it again. I've created something that was only done in a specific way. I've modeled the "Hammerhead" to go onto a ALCO RS-3. Thing is, it has been done in the past, with just a nose to the locomotive. I've done it with the cab attached to the nose! The nice part is, it actually replaces the entire section of the locomotive! No more of this cut the nose off, and fit it to the locomotive front sill. You remove everything from the front of the nose to the rear of the cab, fit it to the long hood, and glue into place. That simple! Also, NO modifications to the drive either, it will allow the factory drive to remain the same! See:

[Image: ALCOHammerheadNoseCab001.jpg]

[Image: ALCOHammerheadNoseCab002.jpg]

The major part of this whole design, is its not made to just fit "one" manufacture, locomotive! IT will FIT ALL of the RS-3's made! With little effort. Not to mention, if you want a "Hammerhead" RS-2, it can also be done! In the above pictures, I have it fitted to a MDC Roundhouse RS-3, that carries the "Athearn" type drive frame.

I know there has been some guys interested in this conversion, and here it is, after 3 years of molding parts, heres one of the progresses after a long time of design stages!

Anyone interested in purchasing any, please contact me off forums and or through my website, found in my signature!
~John AKA "Yellowstone" OR "EM-1"
Don't forget the C&NW RSD-5 hammerheads.

Nice work.

Dave
-Dave
Dave,
Yeah that casting will fit any of the ALCO's that got the Hammerhead extension on the short hoods....I merely did it, for those to model whatever they want as I sell these....

I wanted them to model a few Western Maryland Hammerhead RS-3's.....

As for the model part, it will fit ANY of them made, As long as the cab is the same as whats pictured as that "white" nose and cab is all ONE piece! No assembly of my parts is the key, less work on the detail part and more in the rest of the locomotive its going on.....
You are tempting me... the PRR did have 1 hammerhead...

Dave
-Dave
Dave,
Well I do make them to sell, but if you have a look:

http://www.yellowstonetrainrepair.com/yt...olding.htm

They aren't to bad for price at $8.50 each plus shipping.....Were I think the ones that Canon & Company made were that price, but less the cab!

You choose to get one, let me know PM me!
Hey John ,
I was checking out your site and noticed the SD30.I remember reading where EMD actually had one designed but only had one sale so they cancelled the loco.If I were doing that loco (might do one in N) as a B&O unit I would go for the capital dome logo on the nose.

I should put mine on the rebuild list. See what you have started? Eek
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Thanks Catt,

I'm not sure how I'm gonna finish mine yet as its a ways off to be completed as I had to put a few things on all of my back burners due to customers so.....BUT I think I am going to do the B&O's "Capitol Dome" paint on it......

I also thought of doing a B&O old paint as it was going to have a high nose, but I changed my mind and will remain a low nose unit....So the old B&O 2 stripe, with"Baltimore And Ohio" written out on the long hood is not going to work!

Thanks for reviews on the website, I should hope, you signed the guest book as well!
"Thanks for reviews on the website, I should hope, you signed the guest book as well!"

Not yet,but it is going in my favorites folder :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Catt,
Well thanks for the compliments! Anything you need let me know! I'll do the best i can with parts and details I make and such!
Here is a pic of the SD30 I built...

[Image: DSC_0298.jpg]

Be sure and post pics of yours when it is done!

Dave
-Dave
John, I've sent you a PM.
Puddlejumper Wrote:Here is a pic of the SD30 I built...

[Image: DSC_0298.jpg]

Be sure and post pics of yours when it is done!

Dave

Dave,
LOOKS GREAT! Mine is still in Southern paint but will become a B&O "What-if" when I'm done for the heck of it......
jwb Wrote:John, I've sent you a PM.

jwb,
See your PM inbox, I have replied!
My SD30 is in the strip tank,that old paint is sure fighting to stay on the shell. Eek
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Catt, that old Bachmann paint is a real bugger to remove as I have had issues getting it to come off as well, not on the GP30 shells, but other shells.....Be sure to post pictures when you have them stripped! I would like to see how the SD30 turned out!

I may get mine ready for B&O paint in the near future!