More operations on the Kings Port Division
I continue my efforts to create as many operations possibilities as I can on a layout that really wasn't designed with that in mind. I built a layout to watch trains go around and got the operations "bug" later. I've been working on some ways of having ops fun without having to completely redo my layout. I wrote about operations on my layout in a previous thread but have revamped it since then. I've developed a scheme that allows me to run two through-freights, one local "turn" that serves all of my industries, a passener train, a transfer run to and from my car float, and the car float switching itself. That's a lot of operations for a lone wolf runner. I plan to gradually describe what I'm doing in this thread but everyone can feel free to comment any time if you'd like.

The large Empire Grain structures on the left side of the layout hide part of my continuous main line and a long siding behind them. On an upper level immediately above this hidden track is an apparent double main line that actually leads to a return loop. This is also hidden behind Empire Grain so I can park trains there out of sight when needed.
[Image: 003_zps1a725361.jpg]

One of the small modifications I have made to the track plan to enhance operations was to extend this spur in front of Empire Grain...
[Image: 001-20.jpg]

...past the complex and into this tunnel that goes under a return loop. The hidden track beyond the tunnel can accommodate a ten car train. This is where my local "turn" comes from and eventually returns "off layout".
[Image: 002-20.jpg]

As an example, a GP30 pulls the local out of the tunnel. I know it's odd to have loading bays along this track, but while running the local out of this staging I ignore them and treat the track as a branch to the town of Mayfield. Other times when the local is hidden away and not to be brought out, I'll treat the track as a mere spur and may set out covered hoppers and boxcars there.
[Image: 003-9.jpg]

I can arrange a meet with this train by holdng it on the spur while one of the through-freights staged behind Empire Grain comes around and passes it in the foreground. I can enjoy watching this train traverse the layout and then return to its original staging place.
[Image: 004-11.jpg]

Once its out of the way I can run the local.
[Image: 005-13.jpg]

[Image: 006-7.jpg]

That's enough for now. Next posts I'll follow the "turn" around the layout and demonstrate the limited paper work I use (when I feel like it! Misngth )
This train of mostly box cars is designated MK-3 (Mayfield to Kings Port-Southbound). It will serve all trailing sidings on the way to Williams Yard in Kings Port. Once it completes its work at Williams Yard the loco will runaround and haul it back Northbound. It’s designation will then change to KM-4 (Kings Port to Mayfield-Northbound).
[Image: 007.jpg]

Here is the kind of simplified switch list I use. It’s based on an operations system described by Tom Driscoll in the online Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine. The idea is to designate what kind of cars are being picked up and set out without bothering with car numbers. Nice for folks like me that aren’t as focused on those details. Since we're going Southbound from the Mayfield Branch at West Mill we'll follow the operations from the Southbound part of the switchlist on the second half of the page.
[Image: 028.jpg]

The first job is to pick up four loaded hoppers at the Float Yard and exchange them for four boxcars. The hoppers were staged there prior to the start of the session. Any four boxcars are acceptable for the set out. We start by uncoupling the designated boxcars from the rest of the train.
[Image: 008.jpg]

The local pulls the rest of the train ahead and then backs up to couple with the four hoppers
[Image: 011.jpg]

The hoppers are set on the main siding by the Float Yard and the four boxcars are set out on a Float Yard track.
[Image: 012.jpg]

The loco and one boxcar back up to couple to the hoppers and pull them out to join with the rest of the train waiting on the main.
[Image: 013.jpg]

Once this work is done the train moves on to pick up a loaded gon at Sal’s salvage. This was also staged prior to the session. GERN is right nearby but will be served on the return trip Northbound.
[Image: 014.jpg]

After uncoupling the caboose and pulling ahead of the turnout, picking up the loaded gon is a simple backup move....
[Image: 029.jpg]

The train then continues on to Kings Port for more work to be shown later....
[Image: 030.jpg]
Coming around the other side of the layout the train reaches what I call "lower Kings Port". The continuous loop dogbone shaped plan creates the illusion of a double main line here. I designed my track plan before the idea of only passing through a scene once became very influential. I deal with this by considering the main and spurs closest to the edge of the layout as "lower Kings Port" while the main and other track farthest from the layout edge is "upper Kings Port" to separate them operationally. There aren't any crossovers from one main to the other so the track plan is actually linear that way (i.e.. trains have to contnue upgrade to a return loop and come back down before they can access track in the back part of this area.)
[Image: 015.jpg]

The first industry to serve is Booms Ready Mix.
[Image: 023.jpg]

We need to pick up this covered hopper...
[Image: 017.jpg]

The track configuration creates a complication. The trailing siding to Booms is on a switchback from a facing siding into Kings Port Oil Supply (KOSCO), and there are tank cars occupying that track.
[Image: 016.jpg]

It is necessary to pull the tankers out of KOSCO and temporarily place them on the main, ahead of the turnout in order to access the track to Booms
[Image: 018.jpg]
[Image: 020.jpg]

Once that's done the covered hopper can be picked up with a couple of forward and back moves...
[Image: 021.jpg]
[Image: 022.jpg]

Before leaving lower Kings Port that B&M boxcar needs to be spotted at the team track loading ramp next to Booms Ready Mix. (Whoops! I see I neglected to include that on the switch list! D'oh!)
[Image: 025.jpg]

And then, after the tank cars are replaced at KOSCO,...
[Image: 026.jpg]

The train heads out of town for the trip up to Marion, and then Upper Kings Port and Williams Yard where it will be turned around for the return trip to Mayfield.
[Image: 027.jpg]
[Image: 031.jpg]
This just gets better 'n better..!!! A great urban scene not vey often modeled...!! Thumbsup

BTW...How did you do the gondola with all the scrap in it..?? I'm gonna be needing a couple of those.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Very nice.. Thumbsup

I guess the grainry no longer load boxcars of bagged grain on a routine bases since the Pennsy GP30 uses the loading tracks as a branch?

A lost like that would hurt the SCR. :cry:
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Thanks Gus! The gon load is aluminum foil I randomly spray painted with a few colors, cut into small pieces, and then glued to a balsa base that I can pop out of the car easily. I was given a recommendation in another thread to try pencil shavings spray painted silver to represent metal scrap. I plan to try that sometime.
Ralph
Brakie Wrote:Very nice.. Thumbsup

I guess the grainry no longer load boxcars of bagged grain on a routine bases since the Pennsy GP30 uses the loading tracks as a branch?

A lost like that would hurt the SCR. :cry:

Thanks! Well, actually I fudge a bit and assume the loading bays there aren't used when the local comes off "the branch" there...but once the local returns and goes off layout I then change reality and make that track a serviceable siding. Not the most satisfying scheme but it works OK. Adapting my layout for operations w/o making big physical changes motivates some compromises like that.

Ralph
Great layout Ralph---both operationally and photogenic Cheers
Ralph Wrote:Thanks Gus! The gon load is aluminum foil I randomly spray painted with a few colors, cut into small pieces, and then glued to a balsa base that I can pop out of the car easily. I was given a recommendation in another thread to try pencil shavings spray painted silver to represent metal scrap. I plan to try that sometime.
Ralph

Thanks for the tip... Thumbsup I'll give it a try....
Gus (LC&P).
Nice photo and operation !!! Thumbsup Popcornbeer Cheers
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Thanks Harry!

As we follow MK-3 upgrade here is a short (50 seconds) video of the train at a grade crossing. It looks best small screen. Click on the photo below to see it. Diesel sound effects provided by my iPod.
[Image: th_001.jpg]
MK-3 works its way upgrade and passes through the station in the background.
[Image: 002.jpg]
[Image: 003.jpg]

Meanwhile, behind Empire Grain I have staged the Penn Central passenger train, the Dewitt Clinton. Powering the block behind the grain elevator allows this train to head downgrade while MK-3 is on the other track heading up, creating this pass by.
[Image: 006.jpg]
[Image: 007.jpg]

After the meet MK-3 continues past the Ulster Ave overpass, works it's way around the Midway Stadium, and slips behind the hills that lead behind Empire Grain. The local freight is parked there out of sight temporarily.
[Image: 008.jpg]
[Image: 009.jpg]
[Image: 010.jpg]

While the local sits behind Empire Grain, a Kings Port & Western coal train pops out of the tunnel by West Mill.
[Image: 013.jpg]

This train is full of KP&W hoppers along with several from bil's LS&W
[Image: 015.jpg]

A ariel view of the coal drag as it rolls through West Mill
[Image: 016.jpg]
The KP&W coal train reaches lower Kings Port.
[Image: 017.jpg]

As it works it's way upgrade I can create another pass by by powering up the local that was waiting behind Empire Grain and let it drift downgrade.
[Image: 018.jpg]

And then the coal train slips out of sight behind Empire Grain and is parked there while MK-3 heads to upper Kings Port.
[Image: 019.jpg]
[Image: 023.jpg]
Arriving at Upper Kings Port, the local will drop pff four loaded hoppers at Kings Port Steel. It stops before the turnout and uncouples the designated cars...
[Image: 024.jpg]

...pulls them onto the siding in preparation for the backup move to set the cars in KP Steel's holding yard...
[Image: 025.jpg]
...and backs them in.
[Image: 026.jpg]

After dropping off the hoppers the train is supposed to pick up three coil cars for delivery to nearby Williams Yard
[Image: 027.jpg]
[Image: 028.jpg]
One great scene after another---I especially like the Ulster Ave. location Thumbsup