New Genset
2013 becomes a good year for Genset lovers Thumbsup

http://www.atlastrainman.com/HOLoco/tmhogenset1.htm
Reinhard
I seen that..I might be interested in a IHB unit since I like IHB..To be honest I been resisting the urge to model IHB.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
The new style is the one BNSF is using in the Los Angeles area:

It's also the style in use on California Northern. Unfortunately, Atlas brought out the older style in incorrect CFNR paint and doesn't seem to want to issue a correct one in this run.
Absolut fantastic !!

Not only a new Genset - Atlas makes the right version for me right at the first relase.

2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
greetings from northern Germany
Joerg

Indiana City, my layout
http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=5379
jwb Wrote:The new style is the one BNSF is using in the Los Angeles area:
It's also the style in use on California Northern. Unfortunately, Atlas brought out the older style in incorrect CFNR paint and doesn't seem to want to issue a correct one in this run.

:o Icon_twisted and- - - that is what paint stripper, an airbrush, masking tape, paint, and decals are for. :o Icon_twisted 357 357 357

Decal paper that is ink jet printer friendly, and a spare bit of software or two, make custom decals far more attainable.
The artwork, for the BB&G tour cars, got sized, and then printed with my ink jet printer, on decal paper from the local Hobby Shop. Because of the nature of the decal film, the HO decals were harder to apply than the N scale ones. Both, however turned out quite nicely.
The real beauty of "home made" decals is that it is not too expensive ( compared to commercial decal sets ) to learn, and to get good results. You just have to be willing to remove, and replace the decals that don't go on right the first time. Yes, that does mean ( and does include ) sometimes having to print a second set. ( again, far less expensive "mistakes" than with commercial decal sets ).

P.S. The procedure I would use is:
1- strip the paint, and prime.
2-Mask and apply new paint scheme.
3- when dry, apply clear gloss ( decals should always be applied over a gloss finish )
4-Apply and set decals.
5- apply a clear flat over everything, then weather to suit.
P.P.S. If this process, or any part of it is new to you,
find an old piece of rolling stock to use as your " practice piece " Wink Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I've done that, but what I meant in the post above was that the CFNR 3GS21Bs are of the new type, with the longer long hood and dynamics, while the verson Atlas brought out for CFNR was painted on the old style body. Stripping won't help there! Beyond that, I agree that a real expert could paint the RailAmerica 3-color scheme (and there are commercial sets available), masking that and getting a straight line is not work for anyone but an obsessive. It's actually kept me from doing more with the San Joaquin Valley:

The alternatives: get an FEC GP40-2, or wait and see what Genesee & Wyoming does when they finally get control.
That is also very welcome news:
"NEW! Finer scale handrails (Replacement handrails for earlier models are now available for pre-order.)"
Reinhard
jwb Wrote:The new style is the one BNSF is using in the Los Angeles area:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

exactly what I was moaning about on my blog, I model the CFNR, and didn't buy the old gen-set as it wasn't correct. I am still dubbing if I should take the plunge and buy an undecorated version of this run, and paint it myself (problem will be decals perhaps..) or wait and see if they will release a CFNR one at the next run, perhaps second half next year? Who knows, the CFNR one in the first release wasn't released immediately either.

fingers crossed..

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->