Looks like google predicts the end of model trains
Funny -- you are all basically saying the same thing that the Amateur Radio world is seeing.... Kids are interested in a hobby - ANY Hobby- that their parents are interested in... At the teenage years they drift away (opposite sex, Cell Phones, Computers etc) and when they "grow up" and have kids, they "return to the hobby" whatever it is and get their kids involved Big Grin Big Grin.

Money is definitely a factor!! I had no real money until I got a good job (at 24), so i got right back into trains... until i started dating again and the trains sat stagnant, until I moved and built another layout.

But I was always into cars. Talking with other car enthusiasts, we think the greatest problem with teens now, is that you can't "customize" these cars. you have to get a 70's or older car to "make it your own".... THAT was the fun!!! Flames coming out the tailpipes, running with no mufflers, Smile Smile swapping parts so you made "your car' look different... you can't do that now, not do it and pass inspections at least. And you can't advance the timing cheaply (twist the distributor -- for street racing) and you can't remove the catalytic converter! Eek

So... You either spend a fortune on an old car or you play your computer games until you get a "real Job" to afford what you want....

As far as Ham Radio, They removed the "Morse Code" requirement to make it easier for young bucks to get a License. So far it's worked. Smile I got mine 2 years ago at 52, directly due to the Code requirement being removed (I'm Dyslexic and could never learn code).

There is man I talk to that his whole family has licenses. His wife, and his 10 yr old son and his 12 yr old daughter! Smile Again though... they will most likely drift away as they get older, then come back. Smile Smile Both of them enjoy talking on the radio too.... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Not only is model railroading in decline but the sky is falling. Eek

I am sooo tired of people trying to exterminate this hobby.It is not dieing,it has not been dieing and I'm getting awlfully tired of people who know nothing about it predicting that it is.

Like Pete I was at Trainfest as was Brian (Rail Ohio) who is a young man by the way.There were not only a lot of young people there but in several skin tones to boot.Both male and female.

One thing I have noticed (I am a people watcher) is the more attention you give people asking questions about YOUR hobby the more interested they become in YOUR hobby,and that is the first step in making YOUR hobby THEIR hobby. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
ezdays Wrote:Can we blame things like video games and text messaging for this decline of all that is old and sacred?

Don,No more then R/C car racing,1/32nd slot car racing,R/C models,RP games,Pinewood Derby racing and other hobbies.

Contrary to popular beliefs its not the cost-just check out the cost of video games,RPG dragons,gnomes,elves,monsters,knights etc etc.

I've met the enemy and it is us.

How many clubs has regular visitor nights or public open houses? Very few these days.

How many clubs keep a low profile as a "secrete society" and visitation/membership is by invitation only?

Theres 5 HO clubs in the area and only 2 has open visitation and membership,two are by invitation only and one is so low keyed most don't even know it exist.

How many "lone wolves" keep their hobby hush,hush?

IF the hobby fades out in the coming years we have nobody to blame but us..

However..

There is hope.

The amount of model railroad videos on you tube opens the hobby up to unknown tens of thousands.

Every year during the county fair we have several kids to come in with their locomotive-some are high dollar Genesis and Atlas with DCC/Sound and ask if they can run their engines..We do allow such during the fair.

Every year we have several 8-10 year old boys that is highly interested in the hobby and according to mom or dad they boys have a layout usually the standard 4x8 plywood central.

A number of adults say they have a 4x8' table layout they work on during the winter as a "past time".One even showed pictures of his 1' x2' dioramas he hope to use on a layout after he retires.

We have Thomas and Chuggington as ambassadors for the hobby.

So,in all this gloom and doom talk there is hope.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I didn't want the discussion to be black and white because it's not ...........it isn't either " everything is wonderful OR the sky is falling " , nor is it easy to identify . I don't think money is an issue ...kids have a lot of money these days compared to what we had , it's where is the money going ? And things will never be the same as it was when we are young nor do I expect that . What I do expect is that excitement and passion and stick-to-it-ive-ness and hard work and personal pride stand out in our hobby and others that were mentioned . Attention spans seem to be much shorter .

People involved in minor sports are concerned about diminishing attendances of kids wanting to play . Lots of reasons of course , just like trains , but it's happening and we just have to figure out a way to keep things going , be it trains , slot cars , what have you .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
ezdays Wrote:Can we blame things like video games and text messaging for this decline of all that is old and sacred?

Yes and no.

I know from my biology training that organisms will do whatever is easiest. In terms of Bio-remediation, there are plenty of bacteria that eat oil and PCBs, but they would rather digest other stuff, because those things are hard to eat.

It is the same with this hobby. video games are easy to "digest". You pick up a machine that can play the game, and then you play it. There is almost zero pressure. In the long run, I suspect they are cheaper too. they are easly accessible.

Very little about model trains is accessible. Building a layout (benchwork) can be intimidating. Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing isn't a Beginners skill either, and that can also be intimidating, so you won't see to many people trying to save money that way.

If you're a young person, all of these things are especially intimidating, and may require adult supervision/assistance, such as the use of power tools. Its not easy.

Sumpter250 Wrote:Garble ( :oops: ) Google ( :oops: ) No, I was right the first time GARBLE is just that, Internet trash.
The numbers of young people, kids through teens, that were at Trainfest, show me that the interest is still there. If there is any decline in the hobby it is probably more related to the ever spiraling price increases for hobby related goods, which, hopefully, will lead to more scratchbuilding.
When I first started in this hobby, I didn't have the luxury of large amounts of spendable cash. Scratchbuilding, using affordable materials, was how I got started, and to this day how I enjoy the hobby.
I see internet sites, like this board, keeping model trains popular, and in so many ways, "affordable". We all just have to be willing to teach the "new kids" how it's done . Big Grin Big Grin

There are always a few young people at train shows, but how many of them came because they are genuinely interested in modeling trains, or because one of their parents did?

I agree that the prices have a lot to do with it. Heck, I'm just looking at the depressing cost of those Concor MP54s, and Walther's Metroliners. I could barely afford a car or two (and even then it would be difficult to justify). I don't see how any young people without some sort of income would be able to buy half of this stuff.

When you started scratchbuilding, did you have guidance? did someone teach you, or were you self taught? I think our culture has changed since then, and I'm not so sure it is a simple step to go your route these days.

Perhaps there are ways to adapt the hobby to the modern day without sacraficing too much.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Brakie Wrote:Contrary to popular beliefs its not the cost-just check out the cost of video games,RPG dragons,gnomes,elves,monsters,knights etc etc.

I disagree. True, an Xbox costs about as much as a high end locomotive, but thats it. once you have it, you have "your layout". Few games cost more than $60, but most locomotives cost WELL over that price. Sure you can scrounge up some deals, but that depends on A.) how much you trust Ebay and B.) if there are any hobby shops or other places selling the stuff cheap.

Quote:I've met the enemy and it is us.

How many clubs has regular visitor nights or public open houses? Very few these days.

How many clubs keep a low profile as a "secrete society" and visitation/membership is by invitation only?

Theres 5 HO clubs in the area and only 2 has open visitation and membership,two are by invitation only and one is so low keyed most don't even know it exist.

How many "lone wolves" keep their hobby hush,hush?

IF the hobby fades out in the coming years we have nobody to blame but us..

I agree with this. there is very little support out there for model trains. My guess is that the overwelming majority of model railroaders are of the "lone wolf" type, since every once in a rare while, I'll hear about a huge layout in some guy's basement in the middle of nowhere, that nobody even had a clue the guy was building. some popular exposure to the hobby would probably help.

Quote:However..

There is hope.

The amount of model railroad videos on you tube opens the hobby up to unknown tens of thousands.

Every year during the county fair we have several kids to come in with their locomotive-some are high dollar Genesis and Atlas with DCC/Sound and ask if they can run their engines..We do allow such during the fair.

Every year we have several 8-10 year old boys that is highly interested in the hobby and according to mom or dad they boys have a layout usually the standard 4x8 plywood central.

A number of adults say they have a 4x8' table layout they work on during the winter as a "past time".One even showed pictures of his 1' x2' dioramas he hope to use on a layout after he retires.

We have Thomas and Chuggington as ambassadors for the hobby.

So,in all this gloom and doom talk there is hope.

Perhaps, but the hobby shops i go to paint a differnet picture, that its usually these kids 20-30 years later who are picking up the hobby. I wonder if there has ever been any legitimate research on the topic.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
disagree. True, an Xbox costs about as much as a high end locomotive, but thats it. once you have it, you have "your layout". Few games cost more than $60, but most locomotives cost WELL over that price. Sure you can scrounge up some deals, but that depends on A.) how much you trust Ebay and B.) if there are any hobby shops or other places selling the stuff cheap.
-----------------------
Let's not rule out the newer Bachmann with DCC/Sound that costs less then some Dragons for RPGs and video games.Then there's the DCC on board locomotives that sells for around $40-60.00..Also today's teens and young adults already know shopping on line saves money-this is the computer age.As far as hobby shops the pallbearers is at the door-unless the shop has a web page with competitive prices.The old school hobby shops are going by the way of the dinosaur.
---------------------
Perhaps, but the hobby shops i go to paint a differnet picture, that its usually these kids 20-30 years later who are picking up the hobby..
----------------------
Again the hobby shop is no longer the go to source for any hobby-the internet age has clearly won the sales battle-even the big box stores sell on line and will ship to your house or closest store.
------------------------
I wonder if there has ever been any legitimate research on the topic.
-----------------------
With all the unknown modelers and dabblers out there would that be possible? I don't think it would be.

At any rate I suspect we would be surprise how many teens and young adults are in the hobby that has never seen the inside of a hobby shop..There's no longer a need to go to a shop and pay full MSRP..Any question can be research on line,on you tube or one of the hundreds of model railroad forums.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Funny Larry , I was thinking about what you brought up in your final statement , just the other day ......." I wonder how many young people are buying train related stuff from internet " vs going to a shop ....I certainly hope the numbers are big , for the sake of the hobby .

T
Catt Wrote:Not only is model railroading in decline but the sky is falling. Eek

I am sooo tired of people trying to exterminate this hobby.It is not dieing,it has not been dieing and I'm getting awlfully tired of people who know nothing about it predicting that it is.

Like Pete I was at Trainfest as was Brian (Rail Ohio) who is a young man by the way.There were not only a lot of young people there but in several skin tones to boot.Both male and female.

One thing I have noticed (I am a people watcher) is the more attention you give people asking questions about YOUR hobby the more interested they become in YOUR hobby,and that is the first step in making YOUR hobby THEIR hobby. :mrgreen:

Yep. This pretty sums up my thoughts on this subject. Can we stop beating this horse? It's been dead for a very, very, very long time.
THE WORLD IS SUPPOSE TO END 12-12-12.......AND ALSO THE YEAR 2000; THE MILLINIUM...????? ITS UP TO YOU AND ME TO KEEP MODEL RAILROADING AFLOAT........SURE MANY COMPANIES CLUBS ,HOBBY SHOPS ,TRAIN SHOWS HAVE GONE UNDER...........MORTAGE THE HOUSE AGAIN AND KEEP BUYING, IN JOHN ALLENS ERA LOOK AT THE GORRE& DAPHETID ....DO YOU THINK HE ,AT THE TIME WAS WORRIED WHAT WAS AVAILABLE HE MADE HIS OWN,EVERYONE CANT BE LIKE JOHN BUT.....ILL NEVER SAY DIE,,,,,,KEEP LOOKING ON LINE{E-BAY].....MAYBE KEEP THE IDEA [POSITIVE] AND SURGE YHE INTEREST AND DONT LET IT END!!!!!!!!!!! train
On the subject of model railroading ,the common theme is that HO is king.That must be why the main LHS that I use almost always has somebody buying N scale when there are no people in the HO aisles.The reaason I bring this up (BTW I shop both aisles) is that my fellow N scalers seem to fade away from sight once they are out the door while the HO folk are oviously out there promoting their hobby.

What I am wondering does anybody have any idea why this is.I know I can't figure it out. Nope
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I'm an HO modeler but , thinking back , I don't necessarily promote that scale . All scales have there advantages / disdvantages . N scale is a wonderful scale for great mrring in a small space as we've seen with some of the modelers here . ON30 would be my choice right now but I'm reluctant to sell all my HO stuff at pennies on the dollar to switch . If I had the extra money I would do it but that isn't the case .

The Mrr club I used to belong to had a large modular HO layout to transport to train shows . Then they built a smaller N scale modular layout , sensing that some onlookers wanted to see other choices ......it has been a sensation at shows .

T
tetters Wrote:Can we stop beating this horse? It's been dead for a very, very, very long time.

You're absolutely right. No more discussion on a discussion forum.
Out of the deep mists that now obscure much of my memories of my youth, come the distinct sounds of my grandparents voices, speaking much the same words, as already uttered here.

Yes, the world will go on, but, . . . . . . . . . . just not in the way we envisioned it, in our younger days.
The future, is, and essentially is meant to, not be what our present, and past are, and were, However - - - -.
The future generations must " learn far more from their own mistakes, than they will ever learn from another's advise".
I only can hope that they, at least for a moment, review the mistakes of the past so as to try, not to repeat them.

Aaaaaaaaah poop! Wink We're Human. We have to know THAT isn't going to happen ! Icon_lol

Icon_lol Icon_lol
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Amazing...

Everyone is leaping to dire conclusions because "Google says so". This is the same "Google", may I remind you, that censors the internet on behalf of repressive governments.

When the various railroad publications start talking about the end of railroad modeling, I'll take it more seriously. When the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette says it's ending, I'll take it VERY seriously.

Certainly the hobby is changing. The trend is towards larger scales and mega-layouts, well beyond the means of a lot of adult modelers, let alone young people. It's also a largely sedentary hobby that mostly takes place indoors, which is not usually attractive to young, active people.

Clubs need to re-learn manners and common courtesy. The last show I went to featured the Colorado Springs Slim Rail club. They stood in front of the audience and blocked the view of the trains in action. They made no effort to talk to the viewing audience and get them involved, and their layout was positioned too high for kids to even see. This club might as well not have bothered to show up or set up. You must get people involved to get them interested.

I used to be a volunteer for the Colorado Reptile Rescue, and my wife and I "sold" the idea of snakes as positive creatures to the public, using real snakes. We set up once a month in the lobby of the local PetsMart. I also went to schools with tubs of critters and snakes and got the entire class, plus the teachers, to begin handling them, overcoming phobias, and getting to know complex and interesting creatures on a personal basis. My one hour presentation became an entire afternoon for the entire fifth grade one day, at the specific request of the teachers themselves, who observed the deep interest of the kids. The principle is the same. You have to get people involved personally to generate interest, especially young people.

I recently chastised my friend who runs the LHS in Colorado Springs. I asked him if he held operating sessions for the store layouts, or invited people to watch the construction of the O gauge layout in the storefront window. Nope, he replied. Why not? I asked him. You're in business to sell this stuff, but you are passing up golden opportunities to not only interest the current group of modelers and potential modelers, but the next generation as well. Then I told him Kevin Costner got it wrong: because Mike opened his L:HS, people might come, but they wouldn't buy unless they wanted tl, and making them want to was Mike's job, not just operating the cash register.