No response
Since about two weeks I do experience a strange problem.
After 5 -10 read postings stops the server responding. The browser (Safari as well as Firefox) gets a timeout and reports "no response". That situation continues for at least 5 minutes until I can do a new "reading session". Looks like I am locked out temporary after browsing n postings.

I did force that situation and it locks up as expected. This extension is made via my iPad connected via another provider with another IP address. Looks like the IP address is locked out but not the user faraway.

Now, I did force it on the iPad too and it locked up too. Currently is the iPad receiving "no response" while the iMac is back to normal operation permitting this add-on.
Reinhard
Just a quick comment before I look into this a bit more for you, but if we had you locked out by username, email address or IP address, you would not be able to log on, but you still would see the site. I have on occasions, gotten messages saying the same thing, "no response" and I panic thinking Big Blue is down, and a few minutes later, the problem has gone away. It is rare when that happens, and it doesn't last for long, but it has happened to me too. Let's face it, I go on here well over a dozen times a day, so I figure this could be that my ISP or our server is busy, or there's a bottleneck somewhere along the line, but when it does happen, I can't get it to do it consistently, just once or twice, then I'm good for months after that.

Right now I don't know where to look, but I'll try a few things and get back to you.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
It was also my first assumption the server is down, the server is overladed, the Germany - USA internet is overloaded etc. But I can reproduce the error easy and all other US servers work perfect while I am locked out. Next focus was on my Safari browser but it happens with Firefox too. Next was my iMac computer with German Telekom provider and DSL connection. But it happens with iPad via cellular radio connection and German O2 provider too.
I have no clue where to look at :?:
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:It was also my first assumption the server is down, the server is overladed, the Germany - USA internet is overloaded etc. But I can reproduce the error easy and all other US servers work perfect while I am locked out. Next focus was on my Safari browser but it happens with Firefox too. Next was my iMac computer with German Telekom provider and DSL connection. But it happens with iPad via cellular radio connection and German O2 provider too.
I have no clue where to look at :?:

Neither do I at this point. No one else seems to be having this problem, so I'm not sure what we can do on this end. Again, if you were locked out of here for any reason, you still would be able to get onto the site. If you tried to log on, you would be notified that you wouldn't be allowed to.

I'll keep poking around as see if there's something that I can reset. In the meantime, if anyone else is having the same problem, please let us know.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I've had some weird things happen when I try to "post reply" ( I use IE ) and it will essentially go to the all white screen with " IE can't access that web page etc " ......after I get out of Big Blue and go back on , all is fine . It has been happening over the last few days , but not right now of course . I think it's the same ghost that makes things disappear when you drop them on the floor . Wink

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
One thing that we normally ask people that are having problems to do is to reset their cache and history. I'm not sure, but you might give that a try. One other thing, I don't know what URL you are using, but try to get to this site using one of these, if you're not already doing so:

http://www.the-gauge.net

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/search.ph...d=newposts

The first two should take you to the main index page, the third one should take you to a list of new posts. That's the one I usually use to get here.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
teejay Wrote:I've had some weird things happen when I try to "post reply" ( I use IE ) and it will essentially go to the all white screen with " IE can't access that web page etc " ......after I get out of Big Blue and go back on , all is fine . It has been happening over the last few days , but not right now of course . I think it's the same ghost that makes things disappear when you drop them on the floor . Wink

T

One of our moderators was having problems getting on here and he switched to one of those that I listed above and that worked. He was having consistent problems though and couldn't get on at all. I've had problems like that elsewhere when a URL that I've use for a long time stopped working, and I just remove something like, "/index" from the end of the URL and that's all I needed.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I've had problems like that. When we were camping and using the campground's connection. It would clear up when we came home.
I could log on but shortly would be logged out and unable to reply.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I did read this morning 10 new postings and did one by myself and had no lockup Smile
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:I did read this morning 10 new postings and did one by myself and had no lockup Smile

That's good, but just so I know, what is the URL that you normally use to get here? Let's hope all is well and you won't have this problem again. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
This is the URL stored in the favorites: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts">search.php?search_id=newposts</a><!-- l -->

The newposts part was added as recommended after the software upgrade some time ago.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:This is the URL stored in the favorites: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts">search.php?search_id=newposts</a><!-- l -->

The newposts part was added as recommended after the software upgrade some time ago.

That's the one I normally use to get here. If you are having problems again, you just might try one of those others that I listed above, just to see if that makes a difference.

I had a problem last week where my AV couldn't update. It kept telling me that I had a 404 error, or it couldn't find it's own site. :? I went into my cookies and cleared the ones for my AV and sure enough, that's all it needed. That's one reason why well ask people with problems like yours to clear the cookies and cache for our site as a possible solution. Frequently it works. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The cache has been cleared several times. None of the <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.the-gauge.net">www.the-gauge.net</a><!-- w --> URL will work for a while when I have been locked out. I do simply get no response, it is not the so well known 404 error.
I think there is something like a session that hangs and has to wait for a timeout to be cleared. IP has no sessions and TCP timeouts should be much shorter. I am not familiar with the HTTP protocol in details and how and if sessions are build, held and released.
Reinhard
Don , I know there have been problems on RRL although don't know how similar they would be . For the sake of possibly getting an idea , maybe check with Rick over there ....just a thought .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
teejay Wrote:Don , I know there have been problems on RRL although don't know how similar they would be . For the sake of possibly getting an idea , maybe check with Rick over there ....just a thought .

T

Thanks, I just tried to get on there and after it timed out, I got a, "the connection to this site was reset". If that's a general problem there and no one can get on, I don't think it's the same. I'll try them again in a bit.

BTW, this is the same thing I get when I try 2guyz, and we know that they've been off line for some time now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and