Non-train modeling forum
I know I said this before in passing, but there's other members here that also enjoy modeling in things besides railroading

I would be nice to show them off here than in other sites Icon_lol

Subsection? Where to put it?

Comments? 790_smiley_picking_a_fight
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
What - you mean there's OTHER hobbies?!?!?!?! Eek Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth

Put it in the Hobo's Camp Section or the Lower Berth...

Or, we could put a "main" forum in the Mainline section Smile
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=13">viewforum.php?f=13</a><!-- l -->
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Funny you should mention that , Tom . I was talking recently with an old friend from the mrr club I used to belong to and did a lot of work for . He would like me to get back to the club but i suggested a MODELING club where you would build anything and everything , not just trains . I probably felt that way because of my involvement with the Ebbets Field ball park build. Personally I think a non-train club would be an interesting way to go . A forum that is involved that way is Westlake Forums which is the old Fine Scale forum ....a spin off from trains . The members are intimidating though , because they are so talented and tend to judge everything posted . Not laid back .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
:?: :?: All the boats, and ships in "New Modules", "Tour Boat", and the occasional posting of sci fi models???
Wait ! :o 357 maybe people think that "only moderators can get away with that" Eek Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Lower berth is so broad and the hobo camp is about the members.

teejay Wrote:The members are intimidating though , because they are so talented and tend to judge everything posted . Not laid back .

T

T, it's more common than not, unfortunately
Tom

Model Conrail

Wasn't being lumped in with many other areas of modeling outside of MRR one of the main reasons for splitting from the original Gauge forum??
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
scubadude Wrote:Wasn't being lumped in with many other areas of modeling outside of MRR one of the main reasons for splitting from the original Gauge forum??

Nope being lumped in with many other areas of modeling outside of MRR, was "tolerable" Wink .
:x :oops: It was more about "the management" of the "ZOO" we were "lumped into". :oops: "shoeheads"?? really??! Icon_lol
The "discipline" of model building, is universal, and there are techniques that each "discipline" develops, that in fact can be used in other disciplines. So, it's can be useful to have them share a space, if for no other reason, than the education in the use of "other media", for model building.
That said, there is more to Model Railroading, than just the model building, which makes keeping it the primary purpose of the group, a "friendlier environment". Here on Big Blue, Railroading, and railroad modeling, can coexist in relative peace, and, to some degree, be mutually beneficial.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
scubadude Wrote:Wasn't being lumped in with many other areas of modeling outside of MRR one of the main reasons for splitting from the original Gauge forum??
Who said anything about making one sub-section bigger than the train forums?
Tom

Model Conrail

tomustang Wrote:
Who said anything about making one sub-section bigger than the train forums?

What he is referring to is our old forum where we woke up one day and found we were no longer "the-gauge", but part of "Zealot" with three other modeling groups. The card modelers outnumber us and their forum was bigger to begin with, so in that case, over at Zealot, the card model section was indeed and still is bigger than the railroad section. The other two (R/C and slot cars) just kind of disappeared because all their members bailed at the get-go. Some of the card modelers stayed, but most of the MRR's that were left came here when we start Big Blue four years ago.

Zealot is still going, but the card section is still a lot more active than the railroad section.

Now, do we want to add a "Non-train modeling forum"? If we did, I'd like to see it encompass more than just modeling. We have a lot of members here that work on cars, do woodworking, run R/C and have other hobbies, and it would be neat to have someplace where they can showcase their work and trade info with others. I'll talk to Mikey about it and see what we can come up with. Remember, we are here for you and can get things done with just a few PM's. On Zealot, we lost that ability as soon as it was sold, and so that's why we put this show on the road. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I'd say give it a try and if it doesn't work over about a year , scrap it . If it is active , great !

You mentioned " card models " at Zealot ....do you mean paper ( cardstock ) modeling ?

T
Well Don, the right people are in charge here so I don't see a zealot scare coming anytime Thumbsup

I say non-train modeling since their many other modeling genres. Manga, sci-if, war games, military tanks/planes, cars/trucks, rockets, non-train legos, ships, of that nature
Tom

Model Conrail

That's right T
Tom

Model Conrail

Military modeling is something that really intrigues me and if I had the money ( which I don't Sad ) I would be into that too . A lot of the modeling techniques ...weathering , detailing etc . are directly related to mrring so could be a great benefit . Although the sci-fi stuff doesn't do anything for me , I appreciate some of the wild and crazy ideas like those on the fitchen-foo forum .

T
I hear ya, if I had the dough I'd get me a bunch of 1:72 military
Tom

Model Conrail

OK, you asked, and we agreed, so we're going to give it a try. We've added a sub forum right below the Hobo's Camp called: "All Other Hobbies". So that includes modeling other things plus anything else you might be doing as a hobby. We didn't want to leave anybody out since some of you do some interesting things in addition to railroading. Take a look and participate, it should be fun and informative for us all. Thumbsup Thumbsup
2285_ 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD