Ngauger's 2013 Duff Challenge
Next step - Paint the "poles" black so they can be placed next to the wooden posts and have the wires threaded through them. That way the speaker and the circuit board can be hidden in the roof assembly. Also, the wires will be extended for the headlight Smile

After that - I'll begin placing the boards on the sides and the front & back ends, so noone falls out Smile

Then - The roof will have to be designed and then after placing the speaker, circuit board and headlight and then wiring everything, I'll test run it to make sure everything works... This should be in a few weeks, the way I'm working Eek Goldth Goldth

After that - the weathering and detailing will begin........
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
The "Redesign as I go" has begun Eek Goldth Nope Nope Nope Nope

ngauger Wrote:Next step - Paint the "poles" black so they can be placed next to the wooden posts and have the wires threaded through them. That way the speaker and the circuit board can be hidden in the roof assembly. Also, the wires will be extended for the headlight Smile

The speaker is about 1/2" too big to fit in the car Sad Sad Sad So off to Radio Shack for a smaller 8 Ohm Speaker.......

ngauger Wrote:After that - I'll begin placing the boards on the sides and the front & back ends, so no one falls out Smile
Can't place the boards - till I figure out where the "new" speaker will go Sad Then - I'll begin hiding everything Smile Smile

ngauger Wrote:Then - The roof will have to be designed and then after placing the speaker, circuit board and headlight and then wiring everything, I'll test run it to make sure everything works... This should be in a few weeks, the way I'm working Eek Goldth Goldth

The architect/drafter forgot to leave 1/2" clearance for the roof "bow" Wallbang 35 So now it may be a flat roof, or maybe I'll remove the cross pieces at the top and make the roof to just "sit" on the support poles Smile Smile that may do it.... I'll have to see.....

To give some idea of what's happening... The GERN Flux Coal treatment plant has 5.5" clearance from the rail head.. I built the car 5.25" high.. OOOPS!!!! You can't fit a 1/2" to 5/8" high roof into a 1/4" space.. Unless I'm missing something here Eek Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Took the lower sections out of the GERN Coal plant Smile I now have clearance Smile Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

So, I decided to build the roof and let the glue harden until this weekend, which may be the next time I get to work on it Goldth

The Radio Shack Speaker was too small, so I'm going to have to mount the speaker inside at an angle - no biggie, except I have to build an enclosure for it...

The front view of the roof beam in place

To set the roof in place on top of the poles, I had to drill through the roof and through the tops of the supports and put a piece of 12 wire through the holes, so the roof will not slide off the top. Note: at front right you can see a wire sticking out from the top of the wood. Also, the 2 plastic poles that the speaker & light wires are going through. These will be painted black soon Smile

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

then it's time to glue the roof beams in place (so they will be nice and sturdy in a day or 2 Smile

Each beam will be about 3/4" apart, except for the rear of the engine..

Lines of glue 3/4" apart

The support beams all in place.

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Not sure about the car grill on the front (looks a little undersized) but everything else is looking good.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Not sure about the car grill on the front (looks a little undersized) but everything else is looking good.
Do you mean the grille itself being not to scale or the entire "hood"? I'm trying to decide if I should maybe cut off the lights and just use the "hood and maybe put some kind of spacer underneath it and give it more height. You know - make it look larger than it is.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Nope man!.... don't mess with the grill ..... it's Chrome 8-) 8-) Thumbsup Thumbsup Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Actually I meant the whole thing. I like what you are trying to do with it, I just think it needs to be bigger (which means more chrome Pete Icon_lol ).
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
You've heard about, "raise the bridge or lower the water", what Mikey can do is make the box smaller, then his grill will look bigger..Just a thought 357 357

Ahh, don't pay attention to me, what do I know, all I can do is make rock piles. :? :?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Ok - I think I can add to the sides and bottom to make it a larger scale Smile Smile I'll think about that in between everything else.... Thanks !!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Now - where did I leave that green putty? Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I'm having trouble with the width on the cab.. The height is now about 1/2 taller now that i added 2 sheets of posterboard to the bottom Big Grin

Then I pu the sandpaper (60 Grit) onto the framework from above to form the roof.

I built the speaker enclosure, this will have holes in it for the speaker and also have side panels added to it too.

I then cut out the wood for the front wall of the engine and few minutes after I finished all this - THE LIGHTS WENT OUT!!!! Eek Nope Shoot

The roof will be painted brown or black. I haven't decided as yet. The speaker enclosure will be black and the cab will also be black - with chrome!! Notice I removed the grille before I started using the glue and green putty. Which you can't see since it's on the sides of the cab Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Painted the nose and it looks a bit larger with the foam underneath Smile
The blue & Green will be the grille area Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Yeah, it does look more to the right scale now. Thumbsup With all that weight you just added on the front end, I hope you've considered going with a heavy-duty braking system... Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:Yeah, it does look more to the right scale now. Thumbsup With all that weight you just added on the front end, I hope you've considered going with a heavy-duty braking system... Big Grin
The enginneer only has to stick his feet out of the bottom Eek Goldth Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Yeah, it does look more to the right scale now. Thumbsup With all that weight you just added on the front end, I hope you've considered going with a heavy-duty braking system... Big Grin
The enginneer only has to stick his feet out of the bottom Eek Goldth Goldth
I would then suggest you supply him with heavy-duty, extra thick rubber soled shoes, plus a bucket of water to cool off his tootsies after he gets stopped. 35 35

I remember when I was going to school, I had a car just like that.... Eek Eek
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and