Ngauger's 2013 Duff Challenge
Hopefully it's something simple like a wire that came loose or a wheel or gear that is binding on the body or frame.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Hopefully it's something simple like a wire that came loose or a wheel or gear that is binding on the body or frame.

Agree, it could be either. I'd put an ammeter in the circuit to see what happens. If it's electrical, the amps would drop to zero, if it's mechanical, the amps would jump up and the volts would probably drop because of he drain. That should give you an indication of what's going on.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Im thinking it's electrical since it just seems to die..
No humming, no vibration, as if it's on a dead spot on the track... but Yeah, one of the things i did was clean the track - just to be sure Sad

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try more over the weekend...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:Im thinking it's electrical since it just seems to die..
No humming, no vibration, as if it's on a dead spot on the track... but Yeah, one of the things i did was clean the track - just to be sure Sad

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try more over the weekend...

That does narrow it down since you would get some sounds if the motor was trying to turn, but was binding up.

Good luck, and have fun finding it. I've always enjoyed troubleshooting, but then again, that's just me. Goldth Eek
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:I've always enjoyed troubleshooting, but then again, that's just me. Goldth Eek

Cheers I earned my living troubleshooting, I enjoyed it that much.

Could it be...............a cold solder joint ??????? :o Wink 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
It may be a schmozzle in the schnazzola. Misngth Misngth

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:It may be a schmozzle in the schnazzola. Misngth Misngth

Wayne

Oh, found this tip about that at: Hasenfeffer.com 357 357

Quote:One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
Sclemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.
We're gonna do it!
Give us any chance, we'll take it.
Give us any rule, we'll break it.
We're gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin' it our way.
Nothin's gonna turn us back now,
Straight ahead and on the track now...

I'm sure this'll be a big help. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:That does narrow it down since you would get some sounds if the motor was trying to turn, but was binding up.

Good luck, and have fun finding it. I've always enjoyed troubleshooting, but then again, that's just me. Goldth Eek

Yeah - I always like the "challenge" and I feel a sense of accomplishment when I learn the "why & what happened" Smile Smile

It's the same with working on cars, you have to isolate the cause, then cure it Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Well - I isolated the cause... and it can't be cured Sad Sad Wallbang Wallbang

I Took it all apart and tested the motor, the darn thing decided not to work!!! Eek

Even with direct connection to a 24V LGB power supply, it doesn't want to move - it just sputters a second from the current, I guess and stops..... So I tried the HO transformar, (18V) and it moves a bit more and then just stops.... Brushes maybe????

Anyway, i never specified a running engine in my original challenge so I'm going to keep at it and finish it. I can always find a can motor somewhere in the future.. I guess....

In the meantime, I was looking for the meter and it fell behind a few boxes. I moved the boxes off of the shelf under the bench and my Dremel tool that I was looking for a month ago was there too 2285_

So now I pushed the boxes all the way back, so it won't happen again. Go figure...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I you sure that it's not a AC motor?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Eek Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin I had to go downstairs and check!!!!!!

Here is what I have so far:
  • It's a DC Motor
  • The original Bachmann Power Pack that came with the set is 16 V DC - measured at the track "feeds"
  • My layout (Crest Radio control) is 18V DC - I read the voltage at the track
  • 5 weeks ago I had it on the layout running just the frame with nothing else, it would sputter, but it would run. I ran it back and forth a few times - about 5 ft each way - Then it stopped running and started just "Sputtering"
  • I took it apart and cleaned all the contacts inside and it started running again - 5 ft again a few times forward and back
  • I built the wood frame around it taking care to give 3/8" clearance around all wheels and drive bars
  • Now, 5 weeks later it's back to sputtering Sad Sad
  • I tested it on the layout (18V) and it wont "run" it just takes a shot of voltage and moves about 1/4" Wallbang
  • I took it apart today, tested the "pickup" connections with the 18V and 24V power supplies and even when I go directly to the motor leads, It just sputters, then stops.
  • I went down just now and tried it again with the original power supply (touching the leads to the drive wheels) and it sputtered, then after i kept touching the leads to the wheels, I got a half turn out of the wheels and it went back to just the "sputter"

Are we having FUN yet?????? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

and --- just in case anyone asks.... Today was the first time i put 24V to it and that's actually the power pack rating, so it's more like 18V-22V out
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Mikey: will the motor run if you start it spinning by hand? That would make it a bad pole on the armature. Unless you're retired, it's a better use of time to buy a new one.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Mikey: will the motor run if you start it spinning by hand? That would make it a bad pole on the armature. Unless you're retired, it's a better use of time to buy a new one.
I cant reach the motor itself, it's inside the frame Sad If I spin the wheels, there is no difference, it just "sputters"
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Sounds like time to use that motor for a "lake depth indicator". Icon_twisted Icon_twisted

You toss the motor into the lake.
If you can see the motor on the bottom, the lake is shallow.
If you cannot see the motor on the bottom, the lake is deep. Wink Wink 357 357 357 357

Either way, you then have a really good reason to find another motor! Cheers Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Too Funny!!!! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75