Ngauger's 2013 Duff Challenge
Just spent an hour and a half with the engine.... and it's Working!!!!!!! 2285_

There's good news and bad news though Sad

It does not like switches. It hops off the track whenever it goes through the turnout. As long as it's going straight through, it's fine... So it can't go around the layout Sad Sad But it can go back & fourth... in place of the trolley Smile

I was thinking about what I wrote in the list above and I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on... and I finally realized that maybe the pickups themselves were not working correctly. I got out the recently recovered Dremel and polished up all the brass.. the journals that the pickups rest on, the pickups, the wheels etc.... So I really have no idea of which issue was at fault - but now when I put it on the track it GOESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Problem number 2 Sad The chug chug sound does not work "slow" enough - it's one continuous sound. I located the 2 "trip bars" on the axle and removed 1 of then to slow the sound down, it helped, but not enough....

Then - I cut the 2 red wires that have been dogging me, i still have no idea what they did, but I don't need them for the LED headlights, I'll just run the light wires off of the repaired pickups Smile There was still no voltage through them even though everything is working correctly now Sad Sad
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Woooo Hooooo, Thumbsup Thumbsup good things come to all who wait... or something like that. Goldth Goldth

Good to hear. 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Icon_lol I'm at work - Thinking about how to run the wiring for the lights!! Smile Smile

Even "away from home" I'm still working on the challenge!! Eek Goldth Cheers
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:Even "away from home" I'm still working on the challenge!! Eek Goldth Cheers

357 357 When I get to - -- - Cheers Cheers ........ I done for the day, working on "the Challenge" 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I got the "sides" on!! Smile More detailing next weekend - I hope......

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Look-in good so far.. Are you going to paint or stain the wood that you used on the body?
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I'm planning on using chalks to weather it. The front is already started,it's hard to see with the flash lighting the pics Sad Sad
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Into the home stretch and looking good... Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
OK- This is it!!!!! I'm-a Done!! Finished even! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin First - My inspiration:

And - Where I am now....
Brass door handle & step

Showing the back with the guard chain and another wooden engine in the background.

Visiting the GERN plant...

Details of the other side..... as it rides past me.

I have not had the chance to buy the LED lights, so I put a single light above the hood for now Smile I'll add lights if funds and time permits, but for now - I'm done with the Duff Challenge!!

Thanks to all who helped along the way with comments and offered thoughts (especially the one where i dumped the "new style " hood for the older looking type).. Cheers Goldth Goldth Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Cheers Cheers 2285_ 2285_
NOW !!! FINALLY !!!! we KNOW !!!!!

What "THAT" would look like in 1:20.3"

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Cheers Cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Cheers Cheers 2285_ 2285_
NOW !!! FINALLY !!!! we KNOW !!!!!

What "THAT" would look like in 1:20.3"

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Cheers Cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup

Ya - BIG!!!!! Eek Goldth Icon_lol Goldth Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Throw some boxes and barrels in the back and your good to go ! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Now that's just fun! Cool Mikey! Thumbsup
Son-of-a-gun, it almost makes ya want ta go to some large scale with lots of details and options you can't get in N. Unfortunately, I don't have room inside, and it's way too hot here outside... Eek

I like it, nice work my friend Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

And you finished ahead of schedule. Not bad for a government employee. 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and