Ez's 2013 duff challenge
I had no choice, the EPA, OSHA, FCC, FAA, FDA and even Janet Napalatano insisted that I restore the bank to its original splendor. Expecting a very large grant from the feds any day now, I went ahead and found a way to truck in some very large boulders and plant them where they probably were in the first place.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, but if you think carefully, a few others here, whose opinions I highly respect, just might have had an influence on how this change all came about. Big Grin ... Thanks guys, I hope this looks better, I wasn't too impressed with the wall either. Nope

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
VERY nice Don ! Thumbsup That looks natural, like it belongs there.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
That looks a LOT nicer than the wall Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thanks guys, Big Grin believe me, it was easier to do than either of those walls. The first one I made from a mold that I also made, and the second one I made out of some scrap plastic. I saved them both plus the fence, you never know when the need will arise for a sturdy wall or a steel fence. Icon_lol Icon_lol

Time to go make some trees. That's going to be interesting since I've not made too many, but I'm ready, willing and able. Thumbsup

I appreciate the feedback. Smile
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, IMHO the wall did not work because it still had a after thought look to it.If it had run the length of the hill it would have made more visual sense.The only thing wrong with that idea is all your nice rockwork would not be seen.

One more thing I would do is add some greenery at the bottom edge of the rock.

My rating on Don's project Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:Don, IMHO the wall did not work because it still had a after thought look to it.If it had run the length of the hill it would have made more visual sense.The only thing wrong with that idea is all your nice rockwork would not be seen.

One more thing I would do is add some greenery at the bottom edge of the rock.

My rating on Don's project Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Thank you kind sir, I respect everyone's feedback, and agree that both walls did look like afterthoughts. I will start dressing things up a bit after I get my trees planted and the hill put in place. I'll add a bit of talus in a few spots as well.

I had an idea and good intentions, they just didn't work out like I thought. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
"I had an idea and good intentions, they just didn't work out like I thought. Nope "

Story of my life most days lately. Eek :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Oscar Wilde or Gustave Flaubert:
"This morning I took out a comma and this afternoon I put it back in again."
(many variations on the quote)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Oscar Wilde or Gustave Flaubert:
"This morning I took out a comma and this afternoon I put it back in again."
(many variations on the quote)

Story of my life... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Probably the worse example of that is when we hired someone to paint our house. We picked the color from a set of color chips that he had and he went off to the paint store to have it mixed. He did a great job, covered the windows in plastic, put tarps over the plants and trees and finished the whole job before we got home from work.

"Gee", I said, "that doesn't seem to match the chip we picked". Nope Somehow a lime green house just stood out, even in the dark. :o Well, turns out that the paint store forgot to add the brown tint to the mix, and he didn't pick it up, so the poor guy had to start over the next day. 35

There's a moral to this story somewhere, it just escapes me right now, but I'll bet this guy, with all his good intentions, will always check the paint color before putting it on a house again. He had to replace more than just a comma that day. Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just a bit of progress. I was going for a full hill of trees thinking I'd have a few full trees in front, then just a canopy behind them. Turns out that the hill is really too small for that, so I decided to populate it with fewer separate trees. So, I have just about finished the left side of the hill. I've got about a dozen trees of five different species, and several fully grown bushes. I'll do just about the same on the right side. The hill is still not anchored in place so I can work on it easily, plus I have to level the base before I do that.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Cheers Cheers "Rock" On Don ! 2285_ Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Man this little project is gonna "ROCK"your world. :mrgreen:

You deserve all of these Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Thank you kind sirs. Goldth You gotta admit that I did get off to a rocky start though........ 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Looks excellent ! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string