East Terminal & Newburgh
Hello,

visited my hobby dealer and found there a pair of crossings gates from NJ International:

[Image: dsc03723w3kf2.jpg]

[Image: dsc03724bvkwx.jpg]

[Image: dsc03725cyjf3.jpg]
Thinking about how to turn this crossbuck around 180°; simply turning the mast will not do here. Huh

[Image: dsc03722qij06.jpg]
Tapped M2,5 threads onto the studs and so i can simplly screw ist onto the base board.
Next thinking is how to actuate the barriers, i decide to postpone it for later.

Lutz
Lutz, typical North American practice is to place the gates so that each one controls the lane(s) of traffic coming from each direction - one on each side of the track. 
In the U.K. and likely parts of Europe, too, it seems that the gates are designed to block the entire road, from either one side or both.

In North America, because the gates block only the lane in which a person is driving as they approach the crossing, there are many drivers who see the single gate as an easy route to cross the tracks by simply going around the gate - sometimes this is a successful option, but many times it ends in grief.  The upside of this practice is that it's slowly upgrading the over-all I.Q. of the driving public.

Wayne
Wayne,

i have screened about 200 historic photos of RR crossings in the States an Canada. I rural environment it is common as you wrote, only one lane, the approaching one, is blocked by the barriers.
But in urban agglomerations both lanes are blocked, so the screened photos told me.
And Flats is an industrial area settled in a urban vicinity. So it seemed me vindicated to block the whole road, as this is an major connection between city and industrial area. As car traffic increased it would became a necessity to replace the old metaled narrow 2-lane road by the means of a then generous 4-lane freeway/turnpike/highway and the level crossing eliminated by the means of an overpass.

The type of crossing barriers, so my recherche, were introduced as early as 1936. Marginal for the 1930's, but credible. There here must be one of the very first ones installed. Only 4 years later, so my mytical historiography for Flats, the highway was opened.

And this kind of special high risk sports of circumnavigating closed barriers is not unknow here in Germany and Europe. Beginning with bicyclists (mostly racing bike type), dashing sales representatives ($ale, $ale, $ale), family minivans (bad moms at the steering wheel), SUVs (here Ego Man coming with his armoured vehicle), parcel vans (Useless Parces Service, sorry your parcel is still missing) until 40ton trucks driven by vodka saturated drivers of Est European origin.
Sometimes with and not so seldom worst results.

Lutz
(01-07-2021, 08:19 AM)Schraddel Wrote: ....And this kind of special high risk sports of circumnavigating closed barriers is not unknow here in Germany and Europe. Beginning with bicyclists (mostly racing bike type), dashing sales representatives ($ale, $ale, $ale), family minivans (bad moms at the steering wheel), SUVs (here Ego Man coming with his armoured vehicle), parcel vans (Useless Parces Service, sorry your parcel is still missing) until 40ton trucks driven by vodka saturated drivers of Est European origin.
Sometimes with and not so seldom worst results.

Lutz

Great description, Lutz!  It caused me to actually laugh out loud!

Wayne
Time to start building earnestly:

[Image: dsc03726t8ktn.jpg]
Beginning with the sidewalls.

[Image: dsc03728r2jx3.jpg]
The parts for the roof were stubborn and warped. To get more adherent i recyled one of these bothersome leafleets still finding it's way into my mail box although there is a fat sticker on the outer side "KEINE WERBUNG" (no advertising leafleets) Angry

[Image: dsc03729qnjud.jpg]
It has still more similarity to Chinese or other Far East roofs.

[Image: dsc03732jqj0d.jpg]
So weighting it down and let the glue curing over night.

Lutz
Now THAT is a sturdy roof!!! Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Hello,

@Wayne
The roof parts were not so balky as certain Westerfield parts used to be ... Wink

[Image: dsc03730srjew.jpg]

[Image: dsc03733pdjoj.jpg]
Next day i assembled the side walls. A pretty much straightforward job.
As seen in the background, the roof has given up it's Far East aspirations and now is more North American style.

[Image: dsc03734fij41.jpg]
A quick probe how it fits now after the treatment.

Lutz
(01-13-2021, 06:32 AM)Schraddel Wrote: Hello,

As seen in the background, the roof has given up it's Far East aspirations....

Lutz

You have a great sense of humour, Lutz!   Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol 

Wayne
Hello,

next was to take brush, colour und some patience.
[Image: dsc0374818jxe.jpg]
The walls were painted white, also the roof and the gasoline pumps.
The lower portions of walls and pumps were painted green.
The ground and top side of the island somewhat concrete gray.

[Image: dsc03749slk99.jpg]
This was done freehand, because masking the small parts seems me to be too hassle.

[Image: dsc03750zlkea.jpg]
The parts put loosely together.

[Image: dsc037519uj4n.jpg]
Glassing the windows.

[Image: dsc037538zkh2.jpg]
Windows mounted.
The pumps were drilled where the hoses and the gas pump nozzles will be fitted lateron. The were also drilled on their underside. Into this hole were short pieces of brasswire pushed. Into the island the appropiate bores were done. So the pumps will be still removeable and the wire adds stability too.

Lutz
Looking good!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Looks like you've got a pretty steady hand, Lutz...no need to waste money on masking tape. Applause Applause Applause 

Wayne
Hello,

when it comes to the issue of gas stations, then it comes to the issue of cars inevytably.

[Image: dsc03754tfkf3.jpg]

[Image: dsc03755yhjx4.jpg]

[Image: dsc03756qqjgp.jpg]
Here i arranged some pieces of scenery loosely. A car beside the pump island became just filled up. A wrecker lurking for happy or not so happy customers. A piece of fence to mark the property. A junk car beyond repair abandoned in the backyard. A piece of high fence to prevent gas customers taking a disandvantageous look. A shelf with cans and some tools.

Lutz
Really sweet looking station, love the cars. Applause Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
That's coming along nicely, Lutz, and I like those vehicles, too.  Who's the manufacturer that offers those convertibles - they look like they'd fit-in well on my late '30s-era layout?

Wayne
Wayne,

the convertible model is a Wanderer which was made by Brekina several years ago (out of production):
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeK...76&bih=672

[Image: dsc03757zfjgj.jpg]
Here i replaced the too small wheels by contemporary spoked ones. The front axle was reset about 1mm forward. So the center of axle now is sitting just beneath the highest point of the curvature of the front wings.
As i am planning to reproduce a gas filling up scene, the trunk in the rear got a bore approximetely were a filler cap may be situated.
One of the gas pump nozzles was then glued into this bore.
But wait a little, then you will see the whole scene.

Lutz