Headed to NYC
Actually, I am going to Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, but it's minutes from NYC. Going out for work. I could use some tips or suggestions of things to do while I have some down time.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
That's a coincidence since I go to Teterboro, NJ almost every week and stay in the Hasbrook Heights Hilton right by the airport...(a good hotel to stay at by the way).

But unfortunately, I've no knowledge of anything train-related around that area, except for the NJ commuter train that runs the tracks behind the hotel. There's some major yard operations around the port area by Newark Int'l Airport, mostly CSX and NS trains with some railfan picture possibilities there. And there must surely be some good hobby stores to visit...Brooklyn Locomotive Works comes to mind as well as the headquarters for Atlas in Hillside, NJ. But besides those ideas, I'm afraid I don't know of any other things to see/do.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I used to live in Bayonne, not too far from there. There is a nice size yard there at the south end of rt 440, just before you cross over the Bayonne bridge. The New york cross harbor RR has a set of car float bridges on the Bayonne /Jersey city border. If they are open you could check out the New York Society of model engineers .<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://modelengineers.org/">http://modelengineers.org/</a><!-- m --> . The NYS&W has a small engine terminal where RT 46 crosses over the Hackensack river. the RT 46 bridge has a pedestrian walkway that is a good place for getting pics. In Hoboken there is the former DL&W station right on the Hudson river, it is now used by NJT, but a great spot to get some train pics.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Herc,

It is a small world. I am staying at the Hasbrouck Heights Hilton. I will be there from tomorrow until thursday afternoon.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
That hotel has a good burger and a descent breakfast. Unfortunately, I'm not "on the road" now otherwise I'd say hello in person. Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)