computer problem
I have to login everytime I open Big Blue. Then sometimes it just disappears and goes to desktop. I was told sometimes clearing history and cache would help. I don't even know what they are, or where they are, much less clearing them. Does anyone know how to do this, IN VERY SIMPLE TERMS, PLEASE.

Lynn Wallbang
Whitehouse, Tx
You didn't say what computer or operating system you have . Is it Windows ? If so , there should be a tool bar on the top of the screen where you can clear history .It may or may not be the problem , but should be done anyhow .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
yellowlynn Wrote:I have to login everytime I open Big Blue. Then sometimes it just disappears and goes to desktop. I was told sometimes clearing history and cache would help. I don't even know what they are, or where they are, much less clearing them. Does anyone know how to do this, IN VERY SIMPLE TERMS, PLEASE.

Lynn Wallbang

Lynn,

We need to know what browser you are using, then we can give you a step-by-step on how to clear your cache and history and even your cookies if need be.

I use Firefox, and I've noticed that occasionally, it will change to a different window or tab or even the desktop on it's own, and I'll need to go to the taskbar at the bottom of the screen to restore the window I want to see.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I have an Emachine with windows Vista. On SUDDENLINK cable. If you clear HISTORY at the top toolbar, does it say history. I've never seen or noticed it? Is there something special to do to clear it? I could get lost inside a barn.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
yellowlynn Wrote:I have an Emachine with windows Vista. On SUDDENLINK cable. If you clear HISTORY at the top toolbar, does it say history. I've never seen or noticed it? Is there something special to do to clear it? I could get lost inside a barn.

Lynn

That's fine, but it's your browser that stores this info. Are you using IE9, IE10 or an earlier version? Or perhaps Firefox or Chrome? And some of them will say "history" on the toolbar, like Firefox, you cannot clear it from that menu, but only view your history. To clear it, one has to go to, "Tools/clear recent history", and there you can find that you can clear history, cache, log-ins and a few other things. In IE9, you can go to, "Tools/delete browsing history" and do the same thing in the popup window.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
If you clear your cookies, you remove your password information from the memory of your computer. I have had that happen to me in the past and ended up as you are now.

You should also check your browser's security settings and ensure that it allows this site to "remember" you. FireFox, for example, can be peculiar that way sometimes, as I have learned the hard way.
MountainMan Wrote:If you clear your cookies, you remove your password information from the memory of your computer. I have had that happen to me in the past and ended up as you are now.

You should also check your browser's security settings and ensure that it allows this site to "remember" you. FireFox, for example, can be peculiar that way sometimes, as I have learned the hard way.

Your password information is still on your computer, even after you've cleared you cookies. When you visit a site, like Big Blue, it looks at your cookies to see if you've asked to remain logged on. If so, it lets you proceed. When you clear your cookies, that information is no longer there so it asks you to log in again. Your passwords and usernames should be stored under "saved passwords". In Firefox, go to: "tools/options/security" and click on the "saved passwords" button. There will be a list of all the sites where you've registered and it will show you username for that site. You can then click on the "view passwords" button to also display your passwords for these sites. I use Xmarks to remember this list but I will periodically print it out, just in case I need to look up a forgotten password or username.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, , I got tools/internet options/security/, but there is no saved passwords button. I don't think I have firefox, so that is probably it.

Thanks everybody for the help, but I believe I just don't have enough savvy to hardly follow instructions. I can, to a point, but then if it isn't exactly right the road quits and I'm back in the woods.

Gotta feed my dogs. Thanks again for trying to help me.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
Lynn , it certainly is NOT a crime to be a little foggy about computers . They aren't " everyone's cup of tea " . Maybe there is a neighbour or relative that can help out ?

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
yellowlynn Wrote:Don, , I got tools/internet options/security/, but there is no saved passwords button. I don't think I have firefox, so that is probably it.

Thanks everybody for the help, but I believe I just don't have enough savvy to hardly follow instructions. I can, to a point, but then if it isn't exactly right the road quits and I'm back in the woods.

Gotta feed my dogs. Thanks again for trying to help me.

Lynn

Lynn, at the top of screen is a toolbar. Right next to "tools" is another menu called, "help". Click on it, and at the bottom of that menu it will tell you what browser you are using. Have patience, we will walk you through this. It's never too late to learn. 8-)
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
yellowlynn Wrote:I have an Emachine with windows Vista. On SUDDENLINK cable. If you clear HISTORY at the top toolbar, does it say history. I've never seen or noticed it? Is there something special to do to clear it? I could get lost inside a barn.

Lynn
Lynn....I'm using Vista on my PC as well.

At the top of the display, there's a "Tool" bar with several options-one of them says "Tools". Click on that and a drop-down menu opens up. Click on "Delete Browsing History" and it'll erase all the sites you've visited.

Hope this helps.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
OK, I went to help and I am on INTRNET EXPLORER. On tools I deleted all browsing history. After several tries, I got back to BB. The last time, it showed name and password. I clicked login, and it did!!!! Eek

I may have problems, but there is no snow outside

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
yellowlynn Wrote:OK, I went to help and I am on INTRNET EXPLORER. On tools I deleted all browsing history. After several tries, I got back to BB. The last time, it showed name and password. I clicked login, and it did!!!! Eek

I may have problems, but there is no snow outside

Lynn

Glad that fixed you up..!!! Cheers
Gus (LC&P).
Lynn:
I've had problems where I'll be browsing Big Blue and when I try to reply to a thread or check new posts I find I'm back to visitor status. This used to happen a lot in our campground, but I'd find that with no changes operation was perfect back home. I've had occasional problems with other outside internet sites.
We solved the one problem by changing from the campground's TV cable internet to our ISP's portable system.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Something happened. Last nite while shutting down it told me it was installing some new programs (or whatever), which it ocassionally does. This AM it took a while to boot up and straighten out whatever it did. I opened BB and......Glory Be, I was logged in. I reckon that doing all that stuff I was told to do worked. It just took its good ole natured time about it. Youall helped me get it operating, and I certainly appreciate it

This thread had nothing to do with trains, other than the fact it was keeping me off of here, AWAY from trains.

Thanks everybody, and God Bless
Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx