Ollies Trainstuff - Scandinavia
Hi Guys!

I have a web site of photos of trains from Scandinavia on my website which I have shot for years now. They are mostly from Sweden and Norway but some Finnish stuff too, non dane, as I haven't been there yet. There are some 5 000+ photos there and the url is http://www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

[Image: di3616a.jpg]

[Image: e2nora.jpg]

Cheers
Ollie aka Painkiller
What are the bars over the windshield for?
MountainMan Wrote:What are the bars over the windshield for?
357 357 357
There are times when I simply cannot resist- - -
357 357 They're protection against "low flying pigeons" 357 Wink Big Grin Big Grin

Seriously, I would suspect there is a part of the right-of-way, where falling rocks present a danger to the locomotive crew.
I recall seeing something like this in use in some U.S. Cities, where things were being thrown at trains.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
A local feature to protect the cab crew from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippi_Longstocking">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippi_Longstocking</a><!-- m --> 357
Reinhard
Sumpter250 Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:What are the bars over the windshield for?
357 357 357
There are times when I simply cannot resist- - -
357 357 They're protection against "low flying pigeons" 357 Wink Big Grin Big Grin

Seriously, I would suspect there is a part of the right-of-way, where falling rocks present a danger to the locomotive crew.
I recall seeing something like this in use in some U.S. Cities, where things were being thrown at trains.

So instead of eliminating the falling rock problem the solution is to protect the windows? What happens to the rocks that land on the tracks?

Sounds like rodent-centric engineering to me. (that's Mickey Mouse engineering)
Those bars were standard on many road units in Norway as they protected against falling rock from the mountains. Remember that 70% of the country is mountains. the bars wew replaced by bullet proof glass in the 1980s. the Nohab seen in the photos is a preserved engine made by Swedish firm named NoHab and is a European version of the EMD F3-F7s. The bodies were modified to confirm the smaller European profiles, they were double cabbed and equipped with six wheel trucks. The were used in Denmark (DSB), Norway(NSB), Belgium(SNCF), Hungary(MAV) and Luxembourg (CFL).

The engines ordered by Belgium and Luxembourg were license built by a another firm. Of the Nohabs all but three ordered by NSB (Norwegian State RR) were equipped with C0-Co trucks while the others were using three axle trucks with the 2 powered axles and the middle axle being an idle axle to distribute the weight.

[Image: t41204.jpg]
T41 204
Strange enough Swedish State RR never ordered these but ordered 5 in cab version (T41), which were forerunners for smaller but larger group of diesels of T43 class in the early 1960.s. In later days many of the private operators in sweden has bought many of the DSB units and are run secondary freights, unit trains and on regional lines. The local operator here, runs both ex NSB units along the DSB units on unit container trains. During the winter lash ups of up to three units makes a great show while getting the heavy trains in motion in very cold temperatures.

[Image: t43222.jpg]
T43 222 repainted in original colors.

Cheers!