Suggested change for the "quote" function
When I want to quote previous post, the forum automatically quotes everything in the post including any other quotes that were in that post, then when I try to submit it, it won't let me until I delete all of the extraneous quotes that I didn't want to quote anyway. If I wanted to quote a previous post that the person quoted to reply to, I would have quoted that post directly. I think it would be easier if the forum was set to quote only the reply in the post being quoted without quoting any quotes that are in that reply.
I will agree with Russ, all the quotes can get a little difficult and annoying to sort out and delete if you dont want them or the forum wont allow you to post because of too many quotes. Is there anyway to fix that?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Yeah, I think so. I find it kind of annoying too. I'll take a look and get let you know.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
It should only quote one level now, let me know if it doesn't.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looks like it is still doing it. Just tried to quote a post from Robert in this thread: http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/posting.p...=17&p=8031

and it came up like this:

Russ Bellinis Wrote:Robert, if the plywood board has warped, I would suggest getting some steel studs designed for wall construction use. Remove the old frame, all structures, and any removable details, and lay the studs on a couple of saw horses with the plywood layout board laying on the studs. ...
The only reason that I can see for actually tearing down the layout and starting over is if you are going to build a bigger layout, or have decided to radically change the track plan and it is easier to remove and replace everything than it is to modify the existing layout.

RobertInOntario Wrote:Thanks, Russ -- I appreciate this info. I guess I could buy the steel studs from Home Depot and similar places? Rob

Showing both Russ's and Roberts quote when it should be only Roberts quote lol

**EDIT** Well hmmmm thats weird, when i tried to post it how it originally was it wouldnt let me lol and said; "You may embed only 1 quotes within each other.". Anyways, it still came up with both there quotes when i clicked on quoting only Roberts Quote.
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
I'm not sure how this was going to work, but I thought it would only capture the main quote and not the quote inside the quote. Apparently, it's making you do all the work. I'm going to return it to the way it was until we can figure out how to capture only one quote without having to manually delete the second one, or the quote within the quote.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Personally, I wish it would allow all of the quotes within the post being quoted, with no upper limit to the number that would prevent posting by the person doing the quoting. It's a simple scan and click to delete whatever you feel might be extraneous. It would be nice, too, to see the "multi-quote" option that we had at "that other place". You can do it here, too, but it's a copy and paste operation.

Wayne
Cheers on both points. Multi level posting can have it's uses and it's not too dificult to edit out the post(a) or parts of posts that you don't want.

Tv multi post function I've found very handy - you can edit to get the same effect, but that exceeds my personal pain point. Does the software even sopport this function?

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
You can do multi quoting. You need to reply to the thread. While you are in the compose screen, the history of the thread is at the bottom of the window. I think you can click quote buttons from the history and it will insert those quotes where your cursor is. It's pretty functional, but hard to find/figure out.
path Wrote:You can do multi quoting. You need to reply to the thread. While you are in the compose screen, the history of the thread is at the bottom of the window. I think you can click quote buttons from the history and it will insert those quotes where your cursor is. It's pretty functional, but hard to find/figure out.

Trucklover Wrote:Looks like it is still doing it. Just tried to quote a post from Robert in this thread: http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/posting.p...=17&p=8031

and it came up like this:

Russ Bellinis Wrote:Robert, if the plywood board has warped, I would suggest getting some steel studs designed for wall construction use. Remove the old frame, all structures, and any removable details, and lay the studs on a couple of saw horses with the plywood layout board laying on the studs. ...
The only reason that I can see for actually tearing down the layout and starting over is if you are going to build a bigger layout, or have decided to radically change the track plan and it is easier to remove and replace everything than it is to modify the existing layout.

RobertInOntario Wrote:Thanks, Russ -- I appreciate this info. I guess I could buy the steel studs from Home Depot and similar places? Rob

Showing both Russ's and Roberts quote when it should be only Roberts quote lol

**EDIT** Well hmmmm thats weird, when i tried to post it how it originally was it wouldnt let me lol and said; "You may embed only 1 quotes within each other.". Anyways, it still came up with both there quotes when i clicked on quoting only Roberts Quote.

Russ Bellinis Wrote:When I want to quote previous post, the forum automatically quotes everything in the post including any other quotes that were in that post, then when I try to submit it, it won't let me until I delete all of the extraneous quotes that I didn't want to quote anyway. If I wanted to quote a previous post that the person quoted to reply to, I would have quoted that post directly. I think it would be easier if the forum was set to quote only the reply in the post being quoted without quoting any quotes that are in that reply.

Hey, you're right: it works!!

Wayne