Short line loco project
Here is a pic of the loco I'm working on for my short line , It's a old atlas with kato drive GP 7 (it runs like a clock) I "m going to install a mrc 16 bit ( 567 ) sound decoder & a rail master speaker in it . The loco was $25.00 , sound decoder $40.00 & speaker $12.00 trying to work on a shoe string budget just like a short line!! I'll take some more pics when I do some more work on it & also a $3.00 model power caboose I did some work on.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice start, are you going to get rid of the NYC paint scheme?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Don't you hate it when taggers get to the equipment?! Smile

What do you call the short line?
Are you going to do a Finger Lakes Railway and paint the engines in a New York Central Lightning Stripe Scheme? If you mix and match NYC lettering sets, you might come up with an interesting name. An example would be to take Boston & Albany lettering and Peoria & Eastern lettering to make Albany & Eastern.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Ralph Wrote:Don't you hate it when taggers get to the equipment?! Smile

What do you call the short line?

A post Tuesday said "on my shortline PRT (Passaic River Terminal RR) " <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6376&p=120602#p120602">viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6376&p=120602#p120602</a><!-- l -->
The short line is PRT (Passaic River Terminal) it is my version of the NYG&L RR . I think I'm going to keep the colors it's kind of ruff & looks like a struggling short line on a shoe string budget , just the letters PRT on the side ! Here is a pick of the decoder installed , it runs great sounds good now i need to find some LEDs to put in it !!! The only thing that sucks is you have to send for everything no one locally has anything anymore!!! I give you more back story on my RR when I do some more work on it!!

Attached Files Image(s)

That's looking great! I have a Kato/Atlas GP-7 from the mid-'90's that runs very, very well, and thanks for some inspiration. I'm with you. Patch on some leasing company lettering and use it as you will. Or not. Very nice! No serious MR hobby shops anywhere near Corpus Christi, so I'm in the same boat. I think y'all have a very cool shortline locomotive. Ric
The engine can also be one of the geeps from the Finger Lakes Railway since they sold them off. I figured that you were doing the NY&GL (I saw that you posted in the NY&GL thread on Railnet).
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Atlas stuff from the 80's and 90's really runs awesome. I had an Atlas ALCO S-2 pull 15 cars around the old West Island Model Railroad Club layout. They really pull.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Nice work!!! Where did you manage to cram the speaker?? Wink

EDIT: Never Mind!!! I just saw it!! Tongue
Carmine A. - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer! Tongue
Pacific Belt Model RR, Created 1975 - in my mind!
kamerad47 Wrote:The only thing that sucks is you have to send for everything no one locally has anything anymore!!! I give you more back story on my RR when I do some more work on it!!

Cheers Cheers

I should have kept a log of the miles Eek , I had to drive to find and buy the castings for my outside frame 2-6-6-2.

Ready To Run is burying the art of scratch building, and/or superdetailing ! There are a lot of castings I remember, that are no longer available.
How did that song go ? " I want it all, and I want it NOW "......I have to be thankful for getting into this hobby back when a lot of theses things hadn't been made yet, so I had to develop the skills necessary to build them myself.
The one benefit of coming full circle is that the RTR is far better detailed than it was back then..............
.....and Sad far more expensive :o Sad Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I did a litte bit of work on the loco today . I put in some 1.8 mm leds , here is a couple of pics

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is a pic of a small styrene square I mounted the resistors on!

Attached Files Image(s)

Here it is with it all button up ! I mounted a rotary beacon on the roof & it works! The lights work & the number boards! It's not done some more detail work to do , but I can run it now. My goal was to build a short line loco with sound as cheap!!! as possible !!! So far $25.00 for the loco , $41.00 for decoder , $12.50 for the speaker & $5.00 for leds & Resistors & beacon $1.50 Just around $85.00 not to bad!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

VERY nice!!!! Worship Worship Worship