Lest We Forget
This is Memorial Day Weekend, a day set aside for more serious things than mere barbecues and sports.

This is the time when we remember all those who paid the ultimate price so that we live the way we do.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Right. Thank you for the reminder. I'm posting a photo I took at the Tomb of the Unknowns in DC. One of the most moving places I've seen.
[Image: IMG_1053.jpg]
Amen to that ! God bless every last one of them.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
This is the first Memorial Day for me to remember my friends who died in a C-130 crash putting out fires in South Dakota last summer.

May my friends and fellow crew members, along with all those who fight no more, rest well and in peace.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
The best way to remember is to write your congressman whenever they plan to cut the VA budget or better every time they want to start another one of their stinking dirty wars.

Remember there's nothing the dead needs.Its those that need life time medical attention for their war wounds,diseases and mental anguish that needs the help and support and there are veterans that needs the medical attention the VA supplies.It is these veterans that gets the knife in the back from the country they defended by cuts in the VA budget.

Let's not allow that to happen.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Well said Larry and I agree 100% ! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
It should be hard to forget, but there are those that only know about most of these conflicts by reading about them in textbooks. WWII lasted over four years, but how many pages are there about it in those books? I remember that war and the sacrifices that many made just so we have our freedom. I was fortunate being in the service during the Korean "conflict", but never having left US soil, others weren't so lucky. Many of these wars are fought in other countries so the affects on our lives aren't as profound, but to those that fought and their loved ones as well, we cannot thank them enough.

And yes Larry, it's a pity the way politicians find enough money to raise their pay, take junkets all over the world, give billions in foreign aid to countries that despise us and build bridges to nowhere, but then not find enough to take care of those that need it the most after doing their bidding.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
This is my first Memorial Day without my father, a WWII and D-day veteran.

Fair winds and following seas Dad, we all miss you Pop-pa.

Mark
I've lost 4 close friends in the last 7 months, none of them were vets, but I have lost a lot of family and friends who were. Always a rough holiday to go through. We have a Memorial Day parade that will be going by my house today. I'll post pics here, I'm sure there will be Military representation.....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
We don't have Memorial Day in UK, ansd I don't know how much has been reported in USA about the off-duty soldier who was literally hacked to death by two terrorists, after being deliberately run down by a car in Woolwich, London this week.
The terroeists wanted to become martyrs and hung about until an armed patrol arrived - they were shot (but only in the legs) and are currently under armed guard in hospital - which might be the closest they get to their 72 virgins! He was wearing a "Help for Heros" T-shirt - the only good thing is that that charity (up till last night) has had £600,000 (around $1,000,000) in donations since this dreadful occurence last Wednesday. The attack has been condemed by people of all faiths.

This was sent to me and was written by one of his mates (the reference to "an early stack" for those who don't know means finishing work early - The "angel" was one of three ladies who approached the attackers and attempted to give him help - with no thought for their own safety - primary school kids were just coming out of the school opposite where the incident occured.

Someone sent me this, written by a fellow soldier of his:

Just out for a walk after an early stack
Not looking for trouble, not watching my back
Mothers with prams holding hands with their kids
Not paying attention to the car as it skids
Caught completely off guard not expecting what comes
One man with a knife another with guns
No chance of defence no chance to fight back
Looking for help as the cowards attack
An angel arrives as the light turns to grey
A woman attempts to steer attackers away
My last thought of 'Thank You' never strays from my brain
As my body shuts down and I feel no more pain.

I look to my left and I look to my right
Thousands of squaddies are all that's in sight
Uniforms are crisp and their faces are clean
No sign of anger or hate to be seen
As if by command they salute all as one
The RSM smiles, says 'Welcome home son"