Keeping the Brain Cells Active
What did you just say? Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Spock never lies!

I'll go with Smith.

That's correct. Waveof7

The businessman living nearest to the engineer is Smith and the engineer's income is exactly a third of his. Therefore, this businessman cannot be the brakeman's namesake as the latter earns $3500 which is not divisible by three. Hence, the brakeman's name is not Smith. Neither is the fireman's name Smith, since railway man Smith beats him at billiards and so must be a person with a different name. This leaves the engineer to whom the name Smith may be correctly applied, thus answering the question.
2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Cheers
Mike

I still go with Spock on this one. 35

Congrats Mike, you got it Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
The last time I got it I had to go to the doctor's for a shot to get rid of it.
Icon_lol
Mike

Two books, Volumes 1 and 2, stand side by side, in order from left to right on a bookshelf. Not including bindings, each book is one inch thick, while the bindings are each an eighth of an inch thick.
Starting from page one, Volume 1, a hungry bookworm eats its way to the last page of volume 2. How many inches did he consume?

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Two books, Volumes 1 and 2, stand side by side, in order from left to right on a bookshelf. Not including bindings, each book is one inch thick, while the bindings are each an eighth of an inch thick.
Starting from page one, Volume 1, a hungry bookworm eats its way to the last page of volume 2. How many inches did he consume?

Wayne

Mr. Spock calculates just about 1/4".... Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Old Favorite:

If a hen and a half lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many eggs will six hens lay in six days?

Cheers
Cid
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck...?
Cid
doctorwayne Wrote:Two books, Volumes 1 and 2, stand side by side, in order from left to right on a bookshelf. Not including bindings, each book is one inch thick, while the bindings are each an eighth of an inch thick.

Wayne
The bindings are on the edge so I will say 2 inches.
Charlie
Since the volumes are side by each, it has to eat thru one binding of each volume. That means it goes thru 2 1/4 inches.
On the chickens, the half chicken is in the skillet, which leave 1 chicken to lay an egg in a day and a half, or 4 eggs in 6 days. That means 6 hens lay 24 eggs in 6 days. Or, if the other 5 are whole hens, they could lay an egg a day, or 30 eggs plus the other 4 for a total of 34. DUH!

Lynn

PS. A woodchuck can't chuck wood , but if he could, why would he?
Whitehouse, Tx
I'm going with 1/4" for the bookworm too Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
A train leaves Jacksonville Fl at 12:00 noon heading due West.

What time will it get to New Orleans (550 Miles West) if it travels at an average speed of 40 MPH and has to stop every 3 hours (for 15 minutes) to let other trains pass?
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:A train leaves Jacksonville Fl at 12:00 noon heading due West.

What time will it get to New Orleans (550 Miles West) if it travels at an average speed of 40 MPH and has to stop every 3 hours (for 15 minutes) to let other trains pass?

I'm going to say 1:45 AM assuming that the "average speed" include the 15 minute stops.

I asked Spock and he agrees. 2285_

And yes, the answer has to 1/4" since page 1 of volume I is closes to the last page of volume II, therefor he only goes through two layers of binding.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Mr. Spock and Mikey have it correct. With the books on the shelf as described, the front binding of Volume 1 is immediately adjacent to the back binding of Volume 2

cid Wrote:Old Favorite:

If a hen and a half lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many eggs will six hens lay in six days?

Cheers

My grandmother used to cite that one somewhat differently:

If a hen-and-a-half could lay an-egg-and-a-half in a day-and-a-half, how long would it take a rooster, sittin' on a doorknob, to hatch-out a hardware store?

This one actually is a riddle, but it's extremely difficult. I'll leave it here for a little while, and after three people have given-up, I'll reveal the answer.

Here's another one from that old book:

A circular pool, 25 feet in diameter, has a remarkable lily in its centre. This lily grows by doubling its area each day. At the end of thirty days, the lily exactly covers the pool. In how many days does this lily cover half the pool's area?