Scenario cards: a second try
In my first experiment with scenario cards I tried to use them to determine operations for the whole layout. The cards selected which trains I'd need to run and which industries they would serve (along with what pick ups and set outs needed to be done). I let the cards take total control for the ops set up. This time I'm taking control over which trains I want to run and am simply using the scenario cards to determine what work those trains will do.

First I sorted the cards for the twelve industries/destinations on my layout. Each pack has several cards with varied instructions for pick ups and set outs. Some cards indicate no work is to be done for that industry.
[Image: 001-27_zps2d6d3ee6.jpg]

I use a route sheet of trains I can run on my layout to tell me which industries each train can efficiently serve (i.e. which industries on this train's route have trailing spurs).
[Image: 002-23_zps8c637aa7.jpg]

I'll pick the first train at the top of the list MK-2 (Mayfield to Kings Port). That done, I pick only the packets of cards for the industries that train serves (the Float Yard, Sal's, Booms Ready Mix, the Team Track, and KP Steel)
[Image: 002-23_zps4ba644e4.jpg]

Then I select one card from each of these packets (this is where the randomness comes in).
[Image: 003-11_zpscc18057a.jpg]

I then go to my rolling staging yard and grab appropriate cars.
[Image: 005-15_zpsfb16e6cb.jpg]

I assemble the train by hand on a staging track according to the order of industries on the route. Then I write their car numbers on the switch list I'll use while running it later.
[Image: 004-13_zpse36c2087.jpg]

That's it! I think I'll design simpler scenario cards. The current ones have info about destinations that don't necessarily work as well in this second way of using them.
Naturally, the point of a hobby is to suit yourself, and I agree with all the guys who say your layout is extremely well done and fascinating to look at in photos. I'm not sure, though, if you aren't making a lot of extra work for yourself in this approach. In earlier versions of computer switchlists, I found that you did in fact have to work all the way through the whole list of trains you'd set up, which got old. However, by far the best computer switchlist, JMRI, is now free for the download.

The way I've approached the problem you're seeing -- what if I don't want to run the whole bleepin' routine, but want to have a few minutes' (or whatever) fun is to set up different trains and work assignments on JMRI. This parallels the prototype, for which either the same job will have different tasks on different days (e.g., serves industries to the west of Smithtown on MWF, to the east on TTS), or different jobs are called for particular assignments (e.g., serves Massive Dynamic as needed on weekends).

This will pretty quickly save you a lot of time and paperwork.
I'm trying to implement a computer-generated program for car movements (been working on it on & off for a few years...) And a few days back the thought came into my (feeble) mind to throw in some "glitches" into the system which would throw a wrench into the "normal" operations of the layout. Scenearios like "Passing track at Portales undergoing maintenance-do not use"...Still working on that as well.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Jwb, I've done some recent reading about JMRI and it looks interesting. That said, I rather like the hands-on quality of shuffling paper. I can choose the scenario cards and even write out the switch lists while watching a ballgame. Only thing I can't do from my easy chair is choose the actual freight cars and write their numbers on the switch list. I'd have to go down to the basement to do that. Man, I think I just literally invented "arm chair model railroading!" Misngth

I designed some simpler cards...I'll spend the weekend filling them out with scenarios specific to my layout.
Gus, I was considering throwing in an occasional card that says there is MOW on a certain siding, etc.
Ralph Wrote:Gus, I was considering throwing in an occasional card that says there is MOW on a certain siding, etc.

You could move MOW cars from point A to Point C.

Locals does that type of work a lot(or did)..It saved the railroad from having to call a extra crew for that move.

We called them a "nuance move".Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
We had an article in MTI magazine a while back, for using Game Theory (dice) on Northeastern Rail Roads to simulate weather - that can throw in a few glitches too! Icon_lol
jwb Wrote:...The way I've approached the problem you're seeing -- what if I don't want to run the whole bleepin' routine, but want to have a few minutes' (or whatever) fun...

I was messing around with the idea of just running a short local for a session and came up with the Float Yard Turn. The Float Yard in West Milll is close to Empire Grain, GERN, and Sal's Salvage. I drew a new, simplified card, from each of these three industry decks. Other cards in each deck ask for different numbers and types of cars to be picked up or set out (ex: "No work today" or "set out one tank car of lubricating oil for the car shredder at Sal's", etc).

[Image: 001_zpsf7591ff7.jpg]
In this draw I have to pick up a gon of scrap metal from Sal's, a couple of loaded boxcars from GERN, and exchange a pair of covered hoppers at Empire Grain.

Staging for this scenario involves placing the two boxcars at GERN,
[Image: 002_zps8d5709f0.jpg]

The loaded gon at Sal's,
[Image: 003_zps4e2e1de9.jpg]

...and the covered hoppers at Empire Grain,
[Image: 004_zpsaf331aed.jpg]

..and the Float Yard (which I forgot to photograph in the yard as staged and ready). Wallbang
Some photos of the job...

The KP&W switcher leaves the Float Yard, negotiates a couple of switchbacks to get to Track 2 of Empire Grain's loading bay, and pulls the hoppers. It then pushes them south on the main to GERN and Sa'ls to do the rest of the pickups.
[Image: 005_zps2f4491c4.jpg]

It backs off the main to grab the two boxcars at GERN and will also back into the loaded gon at Sal's....
[Image: 006_zps0dce67f3.jpg]
[Image: 007_zpsc305b4a9.jpg]
[Image: 008_zpsc41673cd.jpg]
The Float Turn heads back to the yard with all of the pick-ups...
[Image: 010_zpscea56441.jpg]

Cuts off the covered hoppers and boxcars and shoves the gon onto one of the yard tracks....
[Image: 011_zps83667d69.jpg]
[Image: 012_zpsea6a9432.jpg]

Then it couples up with the covered hoppers and boxcars and takes them to the yard's siding so the switcher can run around them...
[Image: 013_zps542eefdf.jpg]

...makes the runaround move...
[Image: 015_zps323c1907.jpg]
[Image: 016_zpsbd799af9.jpg]

...and shoves those cars onto the track with the gon.
[Image: 019_zpse15916ad.jpg]
The last bit of work is spotting two hoppers at Empire Grain. The switcher pulls them out of the yard...
[Image: 020_zps6efd854e.jpg]
[Image: 021_zpsed626fff.jpg]

...but has to do a similar runaround move to get behind the cars to push them into Empire Grain....
[Image: 023_zps1a0ca613.jpg]

...and then does a couple of back and forth moves to cross over the main to the loading tracks...
[Image: 026_zpsbfc93f32.jpg]

...finishing the job!
[Image: 027_zps9a75ef2d.jpg]
Brakie Wrote:You could move MOW cars from point A to Point C. Locals does that type of work a lot(or did)..It saved the railroad from having to call a extra crew for that move.
We called them a "nuance move".Icon_lol

Good to know! Thanks!
I'll close out this thread by showing the set up for a full ops session...something that I think could keep me busy for a few days.

I selected locals MK-2 and KM-3 from my route sheet. I also plan to run a couple of short extras, one to Penvan for ACME Auto Parts (a boxcar load of gaskets and a coil car of steel), and what I'm calling the "Steel Job" (pulling three empty gons and moving some coil cars from one track to another at KP Steel) .

I'll also be running the RDC, switching the car float, and rolling the two "through trains"; KP&W's S101 Coal train, and PC's KV-6 ( a run from Williams Yard to Selkirk) across the layout. These trains are regulars that I keep staged on tracks behind the large Empire Grain complex.

OK, so after drawing cards to set up scenarios for the locals and extras here's how things look at the start.

[Image: 001_zpsba934bda.jpg]
KP&W's RDC is set up to exit the tunnel, stop at stations and go back to staging.

MK-2 is set up on the Mayfield Branch (a hidden staging track)
[Image: 002_zpsc8c73743.jpg]

KM-3 is set up (except for power which will come from Kings Port's loco yard later) at the entrance of Williams Yard.
[Image: 004_zpsce7583e7.jpg]

The Float Yard is ready with cars to be set on the car float (other cards specify the opposite or else ask for more cars that are placed in yard tracks for later).
[Image: 003_zps3e5f9947.jpg]

The short extra to Penvan's ACME Auto Parts is staged sans power on the "pocket track" in Kings Port.
[Image: 005_zps60230b42.jpg]

The "Steel Job" is set up at KP Steel
[Image: 006_zps83c810f1.jpg]

Power for KM-3 and the Penvan Extra is ready to go...
[Image: 007_zpsdc0d24f4.jpg]

...and finally here are the switch lists and reminder notes I'll use throughout the ops session. It took me about 45 minutes to draw cards, set up the cars, and create the switch lists. All part of the fun for me. I'll come up with a design for Extra Orders to replace the scrawled notes on 3X5 cards. Smile
[Image: 008_zps26f9fd0c.jpg]
Ralph I dunno if I'm going to go the scenario cards route or not but I sure found this thread very interesting and have really enjoyed all the great pics of your layout!
Worship Cheers Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Ralph, good job !!!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N