EZ's 2013 adoption challenge
ezdays Wrote:
Tyson Rayles Wrote:I don't know what height your layout is but I make mine elbow height (45 inches in my case) so I don't have to bend over to work on it. Also at that height I can sit up under it when I need to work on the wiring or whatever.

I'm sitting right at 42". It's not the height, but right now, it's the standing for long periods that gets to me. Given a choice, I need to spend more time sitting at the bench for now. You'll understand when you start to get decrepit with age. Icon_lol Icon_lol

Don, Thanks :o Wink :o I look forward to 10 years from now when I'm "decrepit with age". 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Don, Thanks :o Wink :o I look forward to 10 years from now when I'm "decrepit with age". 357 357

Uhh, Pete, you'll find it kinda sneaks up on you. Decrepitness comes earlier for some than it does for others, so don't count on that number being absolute. Nope The realization came to me when I tried to pick something up that I put down a few years ago. Confusedhock: Confusedhock: You manage to get things done though, just that you do it a bit different than you used to.
Waveof7 Waveof7
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Wow! I didn't realize you were that young! Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Wow! I didn't realize you were that young! Worship

Yeah, few people do. It's always fun to be carded at the checkout lane with my 12 pack of NA beer. 357 357 I guess I need to grow my bead longer, like those on "Duck Dynasty", and then they won't ask for ID anymore. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:Uhh, Pete, you'll find it kinda sneaks up on you. Decrepitness comes earlier for some than it does for others, so don't count on that number being absolute.

I'm beginning to suspect that the "body" will long outlive the "mind".......now where did I put that carrot I was going to eat...
:oops: Oh, yeah, :oops: Wink I just ate it. Icon_twisted Icon_lol 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Uhh, Pete, you'll find it kinda sneaks up on you. Decrepitness comes earlier for some than it does for others, so don't count on that number being absolute.

I'm beginning to suspect that the "body" will long outlive the "mind".......now where did I put that carrot I was going to eat...
:oops: Oh, yeah, :oops: Wink I just ate it. Icon_twisted Icon_lol 357

That happens to you too..??
The one I "like" the most is not finding something I'm looking for, and it's a few inches away from my hands.... Curse
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:That happens to you too..??
The one I "like" the most is not finding something I'm looking for, and it's a few inches away from my hands.... Curse

In my case, I usually find it about the time I come back from the store with a new one and had just used it so I can't take it back. 35 35
Size doesn't matter, there was the 40" flat-screen TV that got swept under the couch (I think), or that floor model drill press that got lost for about two weeks. :? I won't even mention the story about the car....... Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just a short progress report. I thought finishing up would be a snap, but I screwed up on the paint job and had to completely tear apart most of the tanks and structures to strip and repaint. I also had a few of the bases buckle on me and had to replace them. I'm still working on kitbashing an office for the facility.

Here is a preliminary layout. I will use the foamboard as a base, leaving the black for blacktop and adding the concrete and gravel where it needs to be. The idea there is to be able to do all that on the workbench, then move everything over to the layout. I'm not sure how that's going to work, but I still need to trim the foamboard before I start that. The biggest thing left for me to do is to make around 1,000 feet of chain link fencing. :o I still have a number of signs to place, I've got a few up already for the "Arizona Fuel Oil and Gas distributor"

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Sorry to hear about the redo Don but it's looking good now ! Cheers
Mike

It’s been a while since I posted any updates. Yup, I’m still schlepping along on my fuel depot, and yeah, it shows little noticeable progress for the work I have done. Nevertheless, here we are as it sits today:

1. I changed locations on my layout. I just couldn’t get the traffic flow right at the other spot (assuming that trucks will come in to load and people will drive their cars to work) so here we are with structures about where I think they should be. It even has an good siding now for delivery.
  2. One thing that’s been taking my time is that I started out doing the kitbashed brick office building that I wanted to do, and after about 142 man-hours of work, :o (well, it seemed like it), re-gluing after pulling the pieces out of the trash numerous times, and more strip and refinishes than I can count, I finally found a permanent home for it in our 1:1 local landfill. :o I opted for a scratchbuilt building (B) and after probably another 142 man-hours of work and repaints, I think the paint on it is thicker than the plastic and so, I’ll be starting that over again as well. I could have built a full-scale building in that amount of time. 35
  3. My biggest problem is access across the tracks (A). I either need to raise the road, lower the tracks or add a bridge and go under. I don’t know yet which is best to do. I'm open to suggestions. Welcome
  4. I need to rebuild the guard shack (D). I took the glass from a store with lots of windows, and so it needs a few walls added. Can I get that right the first time??????
  5. Finally, I need to add a road © through the facility and add blacktop and gravel where needed.
  6. Oh yeah, I also need around 1000' of chain link fencing. Icon_lol
Why am I posting this when I've made so little progress? Well, I just don't want anyone to think that I've given up. Nope Based on the way things are going though, I should have a new scratchbuilt office that I'm happy with by Easter and the rest by Thanksgiving of next year, Eek or about a year later after this challenged closed. Sad I wouldn’t mind except that I don’t seem to be pleased with anything and keep doing it over and over and find that I’m still not pleased…. And I’m really easy to please. Nope Then again, it's hard to get in trouble with such dedication to mediocrity as this..... 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
One of my favorite movie lines is that infamous saying by Commander Quincy Taggart from Galaxy Quest… “Never give up, never surrender.” On this project, sometimes it’s painfully slow going, but I’m not giving up…or surrendering. Nope

Things so far look a bit messy and unfinished, well, that’s because they are. Misngth OK, a lot messy and unfinished, but since my last post I have done the following:

The stucco office and guard shack have been rebuilt, but both still need more details added. This time I used the right glue for the plastic I used. Thumbsup

I cut a piece of foamboard to fit the area where the depot will go, and cut out holes for those structures that will be at ground or below ground level. I figured using foamboard would be the only way I’d wind up with a flat and level surface.

I used a roller to press down where to concrete road will be to form gutters. I also feathered around the edges so there’s not much thickness there to deal with. Fortunately, the board retains its compression.

I did some rough painting of the road and where I’m testing out where there might be asphalt paving. That could change depending on how things look. I might put in some grassy areas and/or add gravel to some spots. I temporarily put the structures where they’ll be so I can decide just what will look best for the surfaces.

I’m not sure if I want to put in fencing, I’d have probably close to 2,000 scale feet to chain link fence to build, and if I do, that could add another six months to this already grossly late project. Icon_lol

It still doesn’t look like much yet, and may never look great, but hey, I’m trying and yes, I am driven by those immortal words of Commander Quincy Taggart. 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:I’m not sure if I want to put in fencing, I’d have probably close to 2,000 scale feet to chain link fence to build, and if I do, that could add another six months to this already grossly late project. Icon_lol
It still doesn’t look like much yet, and may never look great, but hey, I’m trying and yes, I am driven by those immortal words of Commander Quincy Taggart. 357

I think all of your N scale LPB's are now used to the "no fence" situation, so fence for a new location only, could be done, "call it a political thing" Icon_twisted 357 Wink
Yeah, it will probably start a whole new outcry from the "public", but that can be a whole new adventure. Wink 357 357 357
Sumpter250 Wrote:I think all of your N scale LPB's are now used to the "no fence" situation, so fence for a new location only, could be done, "call it a political thing" Icon_twisted 357 Wink
Yeah, it will probably start a whole new outcry from the "public", but that can be a whole new adventure. Wink 357 357 357

Well, you know that the PC people will insist that I get a 10' fence with razor wire, guard towers at both ends and an emergency treatment center to take care of anyone who gets past the perimeter and hurts themselves. Icon_lol We will be responsible for any harm that might befall them, their children and their children's children. :o So, I decided that I'd save the expense of putting in all that and just spend that money on a good insurance policy. Besides, the railroad police are there 24/7, and if anyone get by them, it'll be the railroad's fault. Thumbsup ...... Oh wait, I own the railroad too, not the best idea. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The progress is looking great Don. No comment on the fence thingy though. Icon_lol
Mike

ezdays wrote: " I’d have probably close to 2,000 scale feet to chain link fence to build."
Don Icon_twisted Icon_twisted That's only Twelve Feet, Six Inches of Nscale chain link fence. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted

In Horribly Oversised scale that would be Twentythree Feet !!!! The hard part is finding a Tulle with a fine enough weave, as to produce a chain link that would look good in N scale.