E-paw's Orphan challenge part 1.
OK OK,,, I will be doing a few smaller projects for this challenge, so here it is the first part of my orphan challenge. It one that was neglected for quite some time. The Anthracite Railroads Historical society owns an A-B-A set of F-3's that are used for excursions out of Steamtown in Scranton Pennsylvania. Before we start the prime movers up we hook up a pre-Lube pump to the engine block, to get the oil circulating through the engine block. This helps to prevent wear and prolong the life of the diesel. The electrical connections for the pump could use a little TLC to say the least. It is very difficult to get the pump turning in the right direction and I feel it is a little on the unsafe side, it should have been fixed up years ago, It has been like this for as long as the ARHS has owned the loco's. So I have adopted this project as the first part of my orphan challenge. I only have one day to do both A units as we have our first excursion on the 29th.    
So at next weeks work session I will get this done. I will also be doing the ride along with the engine crew for this trip, so I'll have a bunch of pics to post afterword's.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Oh Man!! Can't wait to see the pics!! Smile Have Fun!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Wait a minute! I thought this was supposed to be MODEL railroading.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
A copy of the first rule in the contest.
Goldth

1.You can enter any orphaned railroad project that you’ve started and abandoned in any stage or one that someone else has started but hasn’t finished. This can be anything from a structure kit, a kitbash, anything scratchbuilt, weathering or rebuilding a car or engine, anything goes. 1.You can enter any orphaned railroad project that you’ve started and abandoned in any stage or one that someone else has started but hasn’t finished. This can be anything from a structure kit, a kitbash, anything scratchbuilt, weathering or rebuilding a car or engine, anything goes.

I think it fits just fine.. Cheers
I will concede that under protest.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
I think this is a better candidate than anything I would do to my railway.
He has a 2-week deadline and it'll be quite noticeable whether he finishes or not.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Yup, we did say "any railroad project", we never specified the scale. Although I never expected anyone to have a full-scale orphan, I think that's unique and interesting and it does conform to the rules. I'm just glad you're not doing this in your basement or attic. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Yes EZ, My wife is glad it's not in my basement or attic also. I'm sure that the township may have something to say about that also Nope Nope Nope . I just wonder what kind of permits you need to move a locomotive down residential streets and have it installed into your home. It would make for some interesting photo opportunities. I did try to think out of the box on this one, the rest of my orphan challenge ideas are more in line with regular modeling.
My deadline is also only 8 hours. There is a ARHS crew there today but I am unable to make it, our next work session will be on the 22nd/23rd weekend, the day has not been set yet. it is on that week end that I will be doing all the work for this project.

The job includes,,, Rewiring the pre-lube pump with a new cord and twist lock plug; removing and reinstalling new twist lock receptacles in both A units ( this could be the hardest part as the units were built in the late 40's early 50's and the electrical boxes may need to be replaced ) ; determining the proper polarity of the pump so that it turns in the proper direction on both units; fabricating a new electrical box cover for the pump, it has none; and installing a safety switch on to the pump so that it is not plugged in under load.
e-paw Wrote:The job includes,,, Rewiring the pre-lube pump with a new cord and twist lock plug; removing and reinstalling new twist lock receptacles in both A units ( this could be the hardest part as the units were built in the late 40's early 50's and the electrical boxes may need to be replaced ) ; determining the proper polarity of the pump so that it turns in the proper direction on both units; fabricating a new electrical box cover for the pump, it has none; and installing a safety switch on to the pump so that it is not plugged in under load.

Man!! I wish I could come up there and take pics for you Smile Smile Smile Have fun doing all that technical work!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I might suggest putting it on the front lawn, that can't be any worst-looking than some pink flamingos. Just think of the joy you'd bring to the neighborhood children. 2285_ 2285_

Good luck, and don't forget to bring us pictures. A challenge isn't a challenge without progress pictures....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Now that's a challenge! Looking forward to the progress Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Just remember... Pics or it didn't happen. LOL.
-Dave
You can allways check out all the other progress that we have done with the units on my 1:1 scale modeling thread.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5061http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5061">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5061http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5061</a><!-- l -->

This orphan challenge is all finished. I'll start with the modifications to DL&W F-3a #664. This unit is fully owned buy the ARHS, and was the easier of the two to work on. On the fireman's side of the loco near the rear door is the location of the outlet that powers the pre-lube pump, It is placed just under the switch for the engine room lights. This is common for both units. On 664 at some time during the past, a plastic(PVC) box was mounted there where a regular 120v 15 amp receptacle was mounted, the same type that you have in your home. This is very incorrect and has to go.. and it did.    
I removed the old outlet and wired the new twist lock one in it's place. This is a DC system so the negative side is connected to the neutral and the positive is wired to the hot side of the outlet. The ground is hooked up to the body ground of the diesel. Unlike your car, the body and frame of a locomotive is electrically neutral, it carries no current. With the plastic box that was used here I needed to run an extra wire to the switch box above it in order to bond to the body, It's the wire covered in green tape.
Here it is all closed up with a hinged weather proof cover over it to protect it when not in use.

:? 663 was another story :? ...     Here a 3 inch round box with the outlet integrated into the back of it was used. as you can see it is unpolarised. as both sides of the outlet are the same leading to problems trying to get the pump to run in the right direction. This had to change also. I tried over and over to remove the box and replace it with a more modern one, but these units are around 70 years old and tend to have there own opinions about such things. I was able to loosen up the mounting enough to get a 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducing bushing and 1/2 in offset nipple in there. That enabled me to mount a standard bell box under it to house the new twist lock receptacle. like so.     The old box will now become just a splice box as I have removed the outlet and epoxied the cover closed.
And there it is.....    

The last step in this part of the modification was to label the box with the loco # and voltage of the receptacle.     This was done for both units.

Now for the pump it's self...     There it is,, it's an ugly, messy thing with no cover or switch,, That will be better soon.

I'll post the rest of this latter.. for now household choirs are calling.