Taking stock...
Most folks here know that I'm selling off some of my trains in the Buy & Sell Forum because I want to place my layout more firmly in the 1930s-era. This involves not only replacing "modern" (1940s and '50s) rolling stock with older style cars and lettering schemes, but also updating cars that are remaining on the roster.
This is true for these stockcars, two of which were purchased recently as partially-built Proto2000 kits. The previous owners had not done a very good job on assembling these cars, both giving up, I suppose, due to broken parts and sloppy workmanship. Because of this, the price was right and I quickly grabbed them. While the body shells were soaking in paint remover, I had a look at the stock cars already on the roster, and decided that they could also benefit from a little makeover. All three had previously been upgraded with metal grabirons and sill steps, but I wasn't totally happy with their appearance, so into the stripper they went, too.

The first, 1306, is a Central Valley kit. With a radial roof, this car looks different from most plastic kits and also came with free-standing plastic ladders. I felt that the ladders stood out too far from the body, though, and so shortened their mounting tabs, then made some slight modifications to the grab irons. I also changed the set-up for placing lettering on the car, as I'm attempting to follow, for the most part, Canadian practices. This included spraying the lower sides of stock cars with lime, to act as a disinfectant. Of course, this soon covered the lettering, prompting most roads to alter their cars in a manner similar to what I've done, placing the lettering higher to avoid the spray. I used .020" thick styrene strips, in various widths, for the lettering boards, distressing them before installation by dragging the teeth of a razor saw along their length. I also transferred all of these cars from the ownership of the Grand Valley to that of parent-road Elora Gorge & Eastern, as my Grand Valley lettering was intended for hopper cars and is too large to fit on the boards. :oops: Misngth

1322, a Train Miniature car, got a more extensive makeover. The doors were too thick and stuck out too far, and the cast-on letter boards were in the wrong places. In addition, the draft angle cast into the edges of the boards made the openings between them appear too small. I used a drill bit in a pin vise to drill through all of the letter boards over the areas where there should have been spaces between the boards, then various blades in my X-Acto to remove all of the excess material. I also used a #11 blade to carve away most of the draft angles on the board edges, giving the car a slightly more open look. The doors were placed back-side down on some medium-grit sandpaper, then sanded to about half their original thickness. New letter boards are on the left end, while the herald is on an original cast-on panel, scribed and distressed to look more like individual boards.

1327 is one of the "new" cars. Originally started as a doubledeck car by the previous owner, heavy application of glue had messed-up the original doors, and some of the hardware was missing, too. Luckily, I had a pair of doors in the "Parts Department" for a single deck Proto2000 car, so this one was modified accordingly.

Car 1330 is my original Proto2000 stockcar, although it pre-dates the release of the Proto2000 kits. I picked it up at my LHS, from the "used" table. It was in a clear plastic bag, unlabelled and with no instructions or identifying material, a complete kit, but undecorated and with no trucks or couplers. It wasn't until the Proto2000 kits were released about a year later that I discovered its origins, as it is exactly the same in all respects. My guess is that it was a pre-production sample. This one already had the metal steps and grabirons, so modifications were made for the lettering boards, and the car was repainted, as shown:

The final car, the other "new" one, is also a double decker. The re-build was straightforward, as the original owner hadn't gotten too far along in the construction process, so nothing had really been ruined.

My only other EG&E stock car, an Athearn model, has already had these upgrades, although I've modelled it as it would have appeared in later years. Because the sprayed lime made such a mess, the railroads began painting the lower car sides white, and my car is, well,....rather white. I'll be doing a partial re-paint to make it a little less pristine-looking, and will also be adding some further weathering.

Wayne
Nice work Thumbsup
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Wayne, Looks like some excellent modeling. I love stock cars and miss seeing them on modern freight trains. The 1930s era should make for an interesting layout.
John

Any day I can run my O gauge trains or ride the full sized ones is a great day.
Here's the 1355 after a slight touch-up:

Wayne
Thoughtful and artistic work Wayne! Thumbsup Thanks for explaining the white staining from the lime. I didn't know about that.

Ralph
Beautiful work Wayne, i love all the modifications to the cars, and the lime on the bottoms is a great detail!! BTW, nice re-paint/touch-up on #1355 Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
I always enjoy looking at your work. Now that I have several of your pieces I can appreciate the effort even more.

P.S. The cars arrived in good condition on my door step last night. I'll get the M.O. out to you tomorrow ASAP. Thanks again!
hmm,never thought about the lime stains before. its those little things that make your cars some of the best looking on the web docwayne Thumbsup .great shots,and geat repaint :mrgreen: --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Beautiful stuff Wayne!I hope that DM&IR car is working for you.And oh yeah,I made it over to the new site,I like it!

Chris
Chris, I was long-aware that you had made it over here, but I don't recall ever getting a notification of your post in this thread. My apologies for not answering sooner. :oops: 35 Wallbang 35 Wallbang

Yes, thank you, the DMIR is hard at work: I caught it rolling through Dunnville some time ago. I did re-stencil the re-weigh date and also painted some of the car's hardware to better reflect how it might have looked in the '30s:

Thanks again.

Wayne
Ralph Wrote:Thoughtful and artistic work Wayne! Thumbsup Thanks for explaining the white staining from the lime. I didn't know about that.

Ralph
Ditto that comment for me too.
Wayne,

Beautiful work, as always. I am curious. With the lime, would it have been sprayed in such a uniform way? The double decker, it would seem that there would be 2 lines of lime. Like I said, it is beautiful work, and no doubt you looked into this deeply, I am looking to learn. Can you shed some insight on the lime application process for the prototype?

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Matt: as I remember them, the whitewash had a straight separating line.
Most prepainted models came with a very white glossy paint that doesn't quite do it. (Shall I memtion the one that put the white at the top?) I don't know how CN managed it. Did CP do it that way as well?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
iis612 Wrote:Wayne,

Beautiful work, as always. I am curious. With the lime, would it have been sprayed in such a uniform way? The double decker, it would seem that there would be 2 lines of lime. Like I said, it is beautiful work, and no doubt you looked into this deeply, I am looking to learn. Can you shed some insight on the lime application process for the prototype?

Matt

Thanks for the kind words, Matt. Goldth

Actually, not only would it seem that I didn't look into this very deeply, but that I also didn't pay much attention to the fact that the double-decked cars were, in fact, double-decked, and that perhaps they should have been sprayed differently. 35 Misngth 35 Misngth

I did, however, investigate the application of lime, so am able to make a comment or two. Originally, lime was sprayed on the car as a disinfectant. However, the spraying generally made a mess of the car, (as did the travelling livestock) and often obliterated the lettering, too, leading to the application of boards up near the roof eaves for the car's dimensional data and reporting marks. At some point, the railroads decided to paint the lower car sides white, in an effort to tidy-up the appearance, the idea being, I'd guess, that the guy doing the spraying would have a guide as to how high he should spray, resulting, hopefully, in a neater job. (I'd also guess that if the white paint was still fairly white, the spray guy might skimp on the spraying - who'd know the difference?) Misngth It must've been a nasty job, though, especially on a windy day.
I've been looking around for info on spraying the double-decked cars and can't find anything useful. I did, however, locate some discussion that indicated that the spraying was done inside the car, which would better explain how it could make a mess of the car's appearance. Incidently, the road was the D&RGW, and while no mention was made of white paint, it does show that those modelling U.S. roads could add some lime weathering effects to their stock cars. Another source mentioned the procedure as outlined by the Chicago stockyards, although the particular page with the details wasn't available unless I felt like parting with some cash. Wink

Wayne
Once again some excellent work wayne. Cheers
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/