Freelance 2013-2 (MAW)
Made some progress today
[Image: file_zps00ea5e58.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard;

This is developing into an interesting structure. I also like the fact that you aren't afraid to put a structure in front of its rail siding.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:Reinhard;

This is developing into an interesting structure. I also like the fact that you aren't afraid to put a structure in front of its rail siding.

I like to see more of that in the design of ISLs.IMHO it adds realism.

That is a interesting structure.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Continued with the basis structures of three boxes. The green top of the rear right building is metal siding. May be installed some years ago when a new machinery required to raise the roof.
The buildings are low enough to make coupling and uncoupling with my 0-5-0 if I stand in front of the layout quite easy.
[Image: IMG_2719_zpse3bb41ac.jpg]

The buildings are aligned with the street but not with the track in the background. I intend to do an odd shaped roof at the rear hiding the blank walls and the missing loading dock as they are not visible during normal operation (photo done "blind" with the camera at my outstretched arm). Ignore the green color of the photo. The camera got fooled by the shadow.
[Image: IMG_2720_zps794f2afb.jpg]

I will go for the details next.
Reinhard
Reinhard,What type of industry is that or have you decided yet?

Looking forward in seeing the added details..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Reinhard
Since you like`modeling buildings so much, why not do other buildings with the same foot print as this one & any of the other places on your layout. That way you can operate all the locos & cars you've collected and it's more "believable". Of course then you have to find the space to store the ones not being used. Smile
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Andy, sounds good and rational but I would have no reason to build new buildings if I store the old ones..... Wink beside the problem to store them. Beside that I have stored two of the Vernon buildings behind my office desk and I did intentional not rebuild the none rail served part on the hatch with LA warehouse district inspired buildings since 2011 (http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae149...ile-93.jpg).
Larry, I built it as a generic industry to have a reason to switch boxcars. It might be any small industry building that had many owners and many different use over the years. It might be another facility of the famous nnWii corporation Wink

ps. nnWii = Nobody kNows What It Is
Reinhard
ps. nnWii = Nobody kNows What It Is.
----------------------------------------
And I thought you meant the Wii game system. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

G'day Reinhard, as an industry to occupy your brick building plus have regular boxcar service I would suggest a paper recycling company. Over the past few years I have come across a few on Google/Bing maps and they are often anonymous looking, single or double story brick buildings with history unrelated to the current use. If you Google/Bing maps:
N Tryon St & E 28TH St, Charlotte, NC
you will come across one example. The actually surroundings can get quite littered, but that just becomes a new scenery/detailing challenge.
Regards, Andrew G
Always learning, from both wins and losses.
My Model Railway blog: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ttrakandrew.wordpress.com/">http://ttrakandrew.wordpress.com/</a><!-- m -->
My FlickR Photostream: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/85896932@N07/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/85896932@N07/</a><!-- m -->
TTRAK_andrew Wrote:....If you Google/Bing maps:
N Tryon St & E 28TH St, Charlotte, NC
you will come across one example. The actually surroundings can get quite littered,....
What a mess. Must be great to be a neighbor at a windy day.... Sad Thanks for showing
Reinhard
We got the roofs at the track loading docks and the beautiful green became toned down with powder and dull coat. The surge bin without any elevators, legs etc. of the former owner is still on the property but out of order and in lousy condition. However they put a protective tarpaulin on top. May be they can sell it. The flat roof in the background became a pitched roof.
[Image: IMG_2721_zpse17e75d0.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2722_zps10d3f3a8.jpg]
Reinhard
Sweet!

I like that tarp covered tank.Nice touch. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

The little industry building has been put aside for the weekend. There is an urgent need to get two more SW1 switchers in revenue service until Monday.
[Image: IMG_2723_zps1e823c1d.jpg]

Some hours later after decal bashing is complete
[Image: IMG_2724_zpsfd3ffc80.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard,Sweet brace of SW1s..I like that sharp two tone blue scheme. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Two more SW1 for my roster. Four SW1 can populate the complete fiddle yard and permit a SW1-only operating scenario. The other scenario is to dedicate one of the SW1 to the yard and industries for switching only and run four trains with bigger iron from the fiddle yard to feed the SW1 in the yard.

ps. They have been sweet indeed this morning fresh from the paint shop but they played all day in the dust and mud..... Big Grin
pps.What kind of parts policy has Walthers? Is it comparable to Atlas and Kato but I did not find an online parts shop? It would be fun to get some SW1 shells only for more freelance paint schemes.

[Image: IMG_2728_zps6dd3d2cc.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2726_zpsde714504.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2727_zpsf5a5013b.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2725_zpsac167697.jpg]
Reinhard