NY&A themed layout that needs help
Ed, I love your plan. I was trying to come up with a plan for that scene myself, but did not have a good idea yet. This is a very nice plan for such a small layout – I really would love to built it. When you look at the prototype pic of the structure that sits on the right side of the layout, it looks like there once was a spur leading into that warehouse. I think I would add that spur and when using an extension board, it would be no problem to switch it.
Kurt
Ed and Kurt are both absolutely right - plenty of switching action on what initially seems to be a very simple layout - fairly minimum expenditure initially on the 3 turnouts, decent length spurs on a relatively narrow board - with an extendable headshunt on the left. buildings on the top are scenic flats, room for trucks (team track could be added later in the open area mid left). Lots of fun, and well worth a lot of consideration - I suspect that Lance Mindheim would get a lot of ideas from it
I appreciate all the help everyone has given me. I ordered a couple lengths of flex track, a 20" & 18" radius gauge and some 9" straight pieces. I'd like to just see for myself what I can fit and if its completely ridiculous ill start down sizing. I think by Saturday ill receive everything in the mail and be able to get a 80"x44" piece of plywood.
cnw1961 Wrote:Ed, I love your plan.
Thanks Kurt. That area just begs to be modeled. If I could find an unused corner in the basement, I'd consider doing it as a second switching layout myself.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:
cnw1961 Wrote:Ed, I love your plan.
Thanks Kurt. That area just begs to be modeled. If I could find an unused corner in the basement, I'd consider doing it as a second switching layout myself.

Did you look hard enough? Goldth Wink . Here is a pic of NYA #106 at this location: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=793680">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=793680</a><!-- m -->
Kurt
Nice, the google car also got this pic along Rust St.
[Image: d9381de1-4cd7-4d86-853c-f2c55a196567_zps9a6d1856.jpg]
Nice Google shot. Here is a shot of this area along Rust street from the other side: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3151118">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3151118</a><!-- m -->. That is the look I tried to capture with the paved area on my layout. Wish I had found this pic before I did it, would have made things easier.
Kurt
I have the new benchwork fit into place and made the lower storage shelf. I have to put together the under frame still but was thinking to get an idea of the track plan first, cut out the areas that I won't use then do the framing.
[Image: LO2_zps682de68c.jpg]
[Image: LO_zps9d878d96.jpg]
I put together a rough idea for the track plan and cut out the area I know won't be used, just waiting on all the turnouts to be delivered to get a better idea than the paper templates. I also ordered the Fast Tracks Sweepsticks for 18" and 20" curve radius so the curves will be precise. The google street view of the yard on Grand Ave shows a container crane and some Epic trash containers so I thought I can make the occasional switch with my trash flats (they won't need to make any 18" curves to get to that siding)
The large yard on Grand Ave...I did away with the track that curves between the buildings in the yard, it was too tight and I don't believe that siding is in use so I was thinking of making an overgrown path where the track would be going towards the edge of the layout. Allied Extruders is in the back corner which i'll be able to spot at least 2 covered hoppers.
[Image: yardsiding_zps78ef7e44.jpg]
The siding for Manhattan Beer Dist.
[Image: MBDsiding_zpscc7f2da7.jpg]
And the lumber siding
[Image: lumbersiding_zps5f883f8f.jpg]
I've been working some pretty crazy hours and haven't had much time for trains. I was able to start some track work but i accidentally broke one of the turnouts so I wasn't able to go any further. So this is it so far.
[Image: layout_zps39d037cd.jpg]
But there we go, congratulations on making a start! Is any power hooked up, and are you running anything?
Thanks, no power yet but ill get there. I took this week off so I better get some more done.
I bought a few sheets of Woodland Scenics 2" foam, the LHS only had 6 sheets I think i'll need at least another 3 more. Anyway I got all the foam laid down and the track work nailed into place.
This is the Grand Ave lot.
[Image: layout_zpse93930a4.jpg]
This is where Allied Extruders will be. Across the tracks from A.E. is Railroad Ave, so where the red truck is i'm thinking of making a narrow dead end street instead of a building taking up that entire area.
[Image: layout2_zpsc6eb20a8.jpg]
And this will be the lumber siding
[Image: layout3_zps7f229a3e.jpg]
I was told to call tomorrow about more foam so hopefully they get more and I can keep moving along.
This is looking very nice...waiting for updates. Popcornbeer

Mark
Thank you, I called a few hobby shops and no one had the foam in stock so the foam is on order along with fast tracks bull frog switch machines and the micro engineering double girder bridge for the Grand Ave overpass.