Changing scale .... perhaps not!
So despite being a confirmed N scale modeller for the last 25 years, I have gradually collected a number of HO scale Wisconsin Central locomotives and rolling stock ..... as you do Icon_lol

As my N scale layout is basically built, apart from a few small scenic areas that need finishing off (and the never complete details of course) I decided I could build a new shelf layout over my existing one! Brilliant, time to dabble in HO and give that collection a home. The layout would run along two walls, about 12ft x 10ft, plus 5ft for staging - not too shabby!

Boards were quickly installed, and a track plan loosely based on the Wisconsin Central's Banta Sub designed. The transition to HO in terms of design was easy enough as I started out modelling in British '00' back in the '70s and did so for perhaps 15 years.

Back to this layout, track was laid and wired (DC) without a hitch, and once tested I started on structures. All seemed well at first, operations seemed to work out satisfactorily after a few test sessions and I was ready to start on the scenery - then I realised I had a problem...

It just didn't 'feel' right.

After several months of 'test runnng' I just can't get the enthusiasm to go any further. Worse, after a short operating session I will switch back to my N scale layout and it 'feels' so much better.

Why this is, I can't put my finger on. It's not the minimal track plan compared to my larger N scale layout, as I also have an N scale micro layout, and happily operate that for extended periods. I guess it is just that HO doesn't do it for me for some reason.

Anyone else ever tried changing scales without success?

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Well Kev , it's good that you found out how you really feel about the change in scale ......if you had stayed in N you may have been wondering for a long time .

I like HO but have dabbled in On30 which I also like but it is a different feeling messing around with the big scale ......not a bad feeling , just different . I guess it's because I kind of "throw" myself into fantasy of the layout ....not sure . Misngth

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
It's like widower/widow trying out a new partner after 30 tears of good marriage. You don't know until you try!
willie
willie
Kev,The (N)ormal scale is hard to shake since N scale chooses you,you don't choose it..It chose me back in '68.

Don't laugh..

Even though I sold my N Scale last fall I still miss it terribly and I still look through the N Scale offerings and regret selling my N at times.

I miss reading N Scale Railroading and N Scale Magazine..

In short my heart really isn't in the Horribly Oversize scale..It will always remain in the (N)ormal scale.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Whilst wishing I had tried out building an HO layout before purchasing seven locos and about thirty freight cars, at least I can console myself that I haven't disposed of any N scale stuff.

Question now is .... What do I do on the nice empty layout boards I'm left with?

Hmmm ..... Perhaps a home for all the N scale Norfolk and Western stuff I've collected ....

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life