Train time at Lowbanks...
...on a quiet July morning.

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks001.jpg]

Grand Valley Mogul 34 steams quietly on the station main, the throb of her air pump occasionally punctuating the already humid morning air. On her drawbar, a boxcar with express shipments for the Dunnville station, and combine Willowglade, the usual passenger accommodation for this daily-except-Sundays 9:35 train.

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks002.jpg]

Nearby, on long-term lease from the CNR, is 0-6-0 7434, a 1919 product of the Canadian Locomotive Company in Kingston, Ontario. She's been here since carloadings at GERN increased dramatically in the mid-'20s.

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks003.jpg]

With two short blasts of her whistle, the 34 begins to ease away from the station. In the distance, another train appears on the passing track:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks007.jpg]

As the 34 finds her footing, the newcomer slows for a stop:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks009.jpg]

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks010.jpg]

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks011.jpg]

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks012.jpg]

The first order of business is water, and the head-end brakeman is on the ground quickly to pull the pin:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks014.jpg]

The 630 pulls ahead to the water tank, and the fireman has the spout down almost as soon as the tender stops:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks017.jpg]

While the Mike is getting its drink, the 0-6-0 scurries out onto the main and momentarily blocks the crossing while the switches are re-aligned to give access the the passing track:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks018.jpg]

The diminutive switcher eases up to the parked train - the first five cars are for Lowbanks' destinations:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks019.jpg]

The joint made, the engineer waits while the brakeman heads back to make the cut. Meanwhile, the 630 backs towards the coaling tower:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks022.jpg]

...and no wonder, too, as the coal remaining in her bunker is almost right down to the stoker screw:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks024.jpg]

Amid all this action, another train appears, this one on the station main recently vacated by the little Mogul and her train:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks023.jpg]

As the newcomer slows as it passes the station, the switcher is accelerating backwards with her cut of cars:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks028.jpg]

On the pilot is a CPR boxcar with a load of shingles for V.A. Wagner Lumber:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks029.jpg]

...followed by a carload of supplies for the Lowbanks shop:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks031.jpg]

...and a load of kerosene for the Northshore's oil house:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks032.jpg]

...50 tons of Anthracite for Hoffentoth Coal & Ice:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks033.jpg]

...and two loads of stoker coal for the coaling tower:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks034.jpg]

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks035.jpg]

Bringing up the rear is EG&E 2305, an empty ice service reefer to be spotted at Hoffentoth's Ice House for re-loading. In this weather, there are ice service cars, loaded or empty in most trains, as many businesses and dwellings still rely on ice for refrigeration:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks036.jpg]

While only five cars, the switcher's crew is a bit cheesed-off knowing that the switching crew at the Port Maitland interchange with the TH&B didn't bother to block the cars properly, as the kerosene and one load of stoker coal are destined for the oil house track, with the other carload of stoker coal going straight to the tower's receiving track. The load of Anthracite in between, along with the shingle car, are switchback moves, while all others are push-and-drop. Curse

However, spotting those cars will have to wait, as both mains are currently tied-up, with a westbound waiting at Elfrida (the next town east of here) for clearance. The switcher pushes her cut back into the track where she had been waiting previously, and the crew settles back to wait some more...time perhaps for a smoke or something from the lunchpail.

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks037.jpg]

Now the newcomer slips forward...

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks038.jpg]

...with four loads of bulk Flux from GERN....

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks039.jpg]

...followed by two carloads of bagged Flux products and a carload of Anhydrous Flux...

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks040.jpg]

...and finally, three cars for the CNR at Mount Forest, two empties and another load from GERN Industries:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks043.jpg]

Here's an aerial view (all aerial views courtesy of Secord Air Services) of the train as she reverses onto the passing main. As you can see, the loco is well out onto the Maitland River bridge:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks046.jpg]

...and a closer look, with the switcher and her charges, still waiting in the hole. V.A.Wagner is the green buildings in the background, with Hoffentoth Bros.' coal elevator the red structure beyond that:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks047.jpg]

With the joint made and the brake hoses connected, the head-end brakeman walks forward...

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks048.jpg]

...while the 630 trundles back towards the main after replenishing her fuel supply:

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks051.jpg]

She then backs to the waiting train...

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks052.jpg]

...and after a brake test and an exchange of whistle signals, the pair blast out of town, hoping to gain momentum for the grade which begins just beyond the Maitland River bridge;

[Image: TraintimeatLowbanks055.jpg]

They'll run non-stop to South Cayuga, where the train will be split, with part heading south to Dunnville, while the remainder (and the locos, once they've been turned) will run north to Mount Forest.

Anyone interested in another operations-oriented thread on the Grand Valley lines can check out this older one, Extra 727 East. Goldth

Wayne
Doc---why did we spend all day Wednesday railfanning at Copetown when we could have spent a much more enjoyable and productive day at Lowbanks 35 Great pictures and story my friend Cheers
Wayne, that is a very good photo essay. at least an A+ I appreciate all the work you did to put his story together, just like reading a story from a 1934 Railroad Magazine
Charlie
That's nicely done Wayne! I missed your stories while I was away Wink. One question though... How can the crew tell where the end of the train is without a caboose? Big Grin

Andrew
Terrific series of photos and an enjoyble description of the action! Lots going on at Lowbanks! It was a pleasure to get a chance to see it! Thanks!!! Thumbsup
Thanks for the kind words, guys.   Goldth

Andrew, that train which arrived on the track previously occupied by the passenger train had been making pick-ups at GERN, basically acting as plant switcher, and had been waiting for the passenger train to leave.  Since she was operating within yard limits, no caboose was required.  She had already been designated as a helper for the eastbound, but couldn't take her place until the switcher had pulled the local-destination cars.  
As for the train which left town heading east (Extra 630 East), it definitely had a caboose, as evidenced on this grainy film shot near the road crossing.Click on the photo to view the video....

[Image: th_TraintimeatLowbanks059.jpg]

Wayne
Great! I enjoy watching your operations and I can smell the steam and smoke from my childhood Big Grin
Reinhard
Good stuff Wayne Thumbsup Very enjoyable photo essay.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Good story , great layout and modeling ....love the steam era too . Thumbsup

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
WoW Doc...!!! That's some presentation..!!! Great narrative of all the goings on in the great white North...!!!

Gotta love the amount of detail on that layout and in your presentation.

Sure do appreciate your time and effort in putting this together... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Great work - as always Wayne!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Once again, thanks to all for the kind words. Smile

Wayne
I was a little late seeing this but fantastic. I am honestly envious of your talents.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Thanks for your kind words, Les, but I've seen your layout photos and you have no reason to be envious. Wink

Wayne