Walthers new SW1 edition
A photo of the open engine. The frame is one block of metal and the hood and cab are two plastic parts that clip right on the base. A very simple and straight forward design making maintenance very easy.
The 8-pin DCC decoder plugs in easy with standard wire length but I cut the wires to custom length to ensure a better fit of the hood.
[Image: file_zpsfba7f7c2.jpg]

Four intentional nasty photos made while break in to show the details. Make your own judgement if that is good enough for you (the hood is only put on the frame but not snapped in). The model is unmodified just out of the box. The couplers are Walthers but they are metal like Kadee. The LEDs are warm white (not the ugly yellow or blue ones).
[Image: file_zps0c46ae1f.jpg]
[Image: file_zpsc6e4a95d.jpg]
[Image: file_zps9b94e5ed.jpg]
[Image: file_zps93d7b68c.jpg]

It is a great model in the moderate price segment. I like to see Bachmann (S2) and now Walthers (SW1) offering nice switchers at competitive prices.

Modifications
1. Replace the two large resistors with wires and remove a capacitor (gray block) right under the decoder. They are the RFC suppression components. That may make the model illegal in some states (hey we are the outlaws :o ) but you gain some space and a better motor control of the DCC decoder.
2. Put a small strip of a plastic sponge on top of the decoder area. It will help to reduce the vibrations of the hood and reduce the noise even further.
Reinhard
Reinhard;

I had one of the Walther's SW-1's when they were first released some years ago and long before DCC became so popular. It was a really smooth running model and one of my favorites. When first purchased, the model came with a flexible tube connection from the motor to the rear truck, but Walther's soon replaced it with a better one free of charge and that made it run even smoother.

Have considered getting the new DCC ready version, although I need another locomotive like a toothache! The Bachmann S-4 with DCC/Sound is also a great running/sounding/inexpensive loco that I've painted into an early L&N scheme. Not a lot of detail on the Bachmann models, but good enough and had I wanted to spend the time, I could have easily added the missing grab irons, etc. Just too lazy to do it!

Nice to see some less expensive, good running locomotives becoming available and appreciate your modification tips.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I have been looking for an SW1. I had my eye on the BLI offering, but was not comfortable with their price. That is a great looking model. I have poked around a bit for an undec version, but it would seem that even though it is offered, it is like a white buffalo.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
[quote="iis612"]I have been looking for an SW1. I had my eye on the BLI offering...

Isn't the BLI EMD switcher a NW2/SW7 version? Those don't come w/ the "sand" box on front porch either like the SW1 has.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Yes, you're right. Now I have to remember who did offer the SW1. I know atlas had one, but that isn't the one I am thinking of.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.