Tissue paper for roofing?
FiatFan Wrote:Thanks for the ideas everyone. I really appreciate it. I think I know how to proceed now.Tom
So which way did you pick?
I cut tissue paper into 3'X36' scale strips. I did some research online and that appears to be a standard size roll. Then I sprayed the sheet styrene wit 3M #77 adhesive and put the strips down, starting from the bottom, smoothing everything out as I proceeded. Then I let it dry overnight.

Yesterday I applied a mixture of half black and two-thirds medium gray (don't ask) craft paint with a little water added. Let it dry and attach the roof to the building. Then I mixed up a second batch of paint and gave the roof a second coat.

tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Looking good!!!
FiatFan Wrote:Yesterday I applied a mixture of half black and two-thirds medium gray (don't ask) craft paint with a little water added.
tom

Wow! Eek Paints with GERN Brand flux-based additives generally give coverage that's 3% better than conventional paints - a 16% improvement suggests that test results may have been somehow altered. Eek Eek GERN's patent lawyers will be in touch. Wink Misngth Misngth

Wayne
Yeah! Well, my lawyer's bigger than your lawyer. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight Last time somebody tried this on me I got a nice cash settlement out of it so be prepared to pay up! Eek

I've had very good results with ACME paints. [Image: coyote_acme.png]

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Tom that about the method i use except i cut the sheet after after paint is dry, the photo doesn't have good definition buy you can see I use black to paint the joints as usually done on tar paper roof's. also this method makes good looking window shades by just changing color.
Jim    

Attached Files Image(s)

I use the cheapest "bum wad" you can find. I used it for the tar impregnated canvas roof coverings on my CLC's (the "Cute Little Crummies" - a string of seven four-wheel Bobber cabooses under construction.) I just took a sheet of tissue, laid it on the roof surface, and for a process test, painted one on with Testors liquid plastic cement, the next night painting it Floquil Weathered Black. For the other unit used in the test, I just painted the tissue on with the Weathered Black paint. Both processes worked well. To be honest, I did that so long ago (1989) that I can't remember which is which! 35 But ... the project is again under way, after 21 years in a box! Big Grin

biL
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln