Ten-Wheelers for the Grand Valley....
This project was started several years ago, but set aside for other tasks, both in real-life and in the modelling world. The locos are from Bachmann, while the replacement boilers are from Bowser (originally Varney).

Here's the Bachmann loco pretty-much as it comes. With slide valves and an older-style cab, it could be suitable from the late 1880s to probably the late '30s:

[Image: Locostoberebuilt006.jpg]

While I'm modelling the late '30s, my road would have either modernised such a loco or scrapped it by this time, so the first task was to equip it with piston valves and a superheater. I simply re-built the slide valves to better-resemble piston valves, and while they're not totally accurate, they'll do for my purposes:

Here's the process:

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley008.jpg]

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley012.jpg]

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley016.jpg]

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley015.jpg]

[Image: Locostoberebuilt004.jpg]

As for the superheater, well that's mostly for the imagination. Goldth However, a new boiler which might better-suit a superheated loco was available, courtesy of my good friend Mister Nutbar. It's from a Varney 10-Wheeler, and I was able to get a second one from Bowser, who had the Varney moulds. Here it is, as made:

[Image: Steppinout024.jpg]

...and one of them after "modifications":

[Image: Steppinout025.jpg]

[Image: Steppinout026.jpg]

...and installed temporarily on the Bachmann drive:

[Image: Bachmann4-6-0001.jpg]

This is where worked stopped, partially because of other responsibilities, but also because I was uncertain of how to deal with the large empty space under the cab and how to attach the new cab (from a Bachmann Consolidation) to the new boiler, and how to fasten it all to the mechanism.

After finally getting back to work on these locos, I realised that the new boiler was overly heavy in the front, due mainly to the custom-cast lead weight within the smokebox. While I could have simply removed the weight, I decided to counterbalance it with a block of lead under the cab, along with some lead in the cab, too.
This necessitated a floor for the cab, and it was attached with screws to the weight inside the Bachmann cab. I realised then that the cab could be attached to the boiler in the same manner as it had been attached to the Consolidation boiler, using a screw up through the weight and into the boiler shell. The lead block under the cab was a perfect place to accept additional screws though the cab's backsheet, holding the rear part of the superstructure to the running gear, and a screw down through the stack and into the cylinder saddle accomplished the same task on the front end.

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley004.jpg]

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley001.jpg]

As you can see, the tender was modified, too. I first narrowed it, as it was wider than the locomotive and looked ungainly. The best way to do this is by filling the tender shell with a solid block of wood and running it through a table saw. Not owning such a saw, I opted for a handsaw, and after a few zrooba-zroobas, had two very roughly-cut halves for each tender shell.
Once the halves were re-joined using lacquer thinner as a solvent cement, there were several large gaps. These were filled by stuffing thinner-drenched bits of styrene into the gaps, then coating the area with more thinner. A couple of days later, after everything had hardened, a sharp blade was used to trim away excess material, and any remaining low spots got a smear of Squadron Green Putty.
I also decided to shorten the tenders: as-built, they looked too big for the locos, but not big enough to do their intended service without stopping for water. I prefer shorter tenders, and since a water stop would be necessary on most trips anyway, I hacked about 3' out near the rear. When it's time for paint, I'll use Archer rivet decals to replace those lost during the surgery.
Here's the front of one of the tenders. The white "V" is one of the styrene patches, and the two female connectors for the power feeds from the tender can be seen atop the scratchbuilt floor:

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley005.jpg]

On the rear, I added footboards, a combination of sheet and strip styrene, along with the actual footboard taken from a Detail Associates diesel detail part set. The brass steps on the rear corners were formed from .010"x.030" brass bar, and pinned in place with .015" phosphor bronze wire:

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley006.jpg]

More filler material visible here at the centre-rear of the coal bunker. I modelled only a partial bunker due to the limited space inside the tender shell for additional weight. The handrails are phosphor bronze wire, while the stanchions are formed from.010"x.018" flat brass bar (Detail Associates) soldered to the railings.

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley003.jpg]

Here's a look inside the tender, with custom-cast lead weights held in place by strip and sheet styrene. With a loose coal load, the tenders weigh about 5oz. each, and I'll probably try to cram a little more lead into them. The extra weight improves power pick-up (the locos have been re-wired and will run without a tender - useful for troubleshooting and testing), and also improves tracking. These locos will likely run doubleheaded in most instances, so good performance is a priority.

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley007.jpg]

I'll continue to add to this thread as construction continues. The first task is to re-build the valve chests on the second loco, then detailing can begin.

Wayne
This thread is why I buy RTR whenever possible! Icon_lol I can probably build an entire layout in the time it would take me to do what you are doing with one loco. Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:This thread is why I buy RTR whenever possible! Icon_lol I can probably build an entire layout in the time it would take me to do what you are doing with one loco. Worship

I couldn't do something like this no matter how much time I took. Nope This is what makes this hobby so interesting, we all have our special skills, and from what I see here, Wayne has an abundance of skills that are indeed special.... Thumbsup Thumbsup

Impressive work. Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Wink Icon_twisted Big Grin
Wayne, I "know your pain".....this 3' gauge tender started out as an "Roundhouse" outside frame 2-8-0 kit tender ( same kits as the loco frames ), and a "Roundhouse"narrow gauge tank car.    
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Looking really good Doc---those locomotives will be a fine addition to your Grand Valley steam roster.Nice to see you've finally got some time to work on your own projects for a change.
cn nutbar Wrote:....Nice to see you've finally got some time to work on your own projects for a change.

Stolen time, I'm afraid. I'm currently working for my brother, and usually 10 or 12 hours a day. It'd be more, but as you know, I don't do mornings all that well. Misngth

Wayne
Wayne, I am always in awe of your craftsmanship! Worship Worship Worship
P.S., ...you almost tempt me into running steam! Smile
Ralph Wrote:Wayne, I am always in awe of your craftsmanship! Worship Worship Worship

You mean...There's something other than steam..??
Gus (LC&P).
Looking good there Doc.. Ready to run....BAHHHHHH !!! Nothing beats a well executed custom model...And that's what we have here. Keep it up Doc,, I love this stuff.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Ralph Wrote:Wayne, I am always in awe of your craftsmanship! Worship Worship Worship

Ralph---here's your chance to run a steam extra as an appreciation tour for the Kingsport and Western employees---a Birkshire would sure look good
That looks awesome!! I'm surprised that boiler fit on there so well.

I've ground and filed off the details of a few cast metal MDC boilers before - and it's a huge pain that I am not sure if it is worth it. You gain a nice heavy boiler, but sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to just scratch a new one out of plastic.

And those rivet decals are an awesome product, that makes these kind of projects a whole lot easier.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Wayne,
I caught this a little late, but I will have to say, ''Great Job''! Cheers
Cheers,
Frank,zstripe
Excellent work Wayne Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Other than a little touch-up work, the valve and cylinder modifications are complete, and the steam pipes installed:

[Image: Ten-WheelersfortheGrandValley019.jpg]

Running boards and pilot deck are next.

Wayne
Nice and creative work on these cylinders Wayne!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/