Trains on this day in the past:
East bound at Leetonia, NS train 20W 3/31/2015     Charlie
April 1, 1978 Collingwood, Ohio dead line.     Charlie
Looks like a purge of Alcos. :cry:

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Looks like a purge of Alcos. :cry:

Wayne
Sadly they were at the end of their life. by 1981 they had dwindled down to a precious few. I met one of the head mechanics for Conrail (Conway) in 1992 when we were getting the LBCV going. He said they were one of the easiest locomotives to work on in his opinion. I also was lucky enough to meet George Hockaday and his friend and assistant that had been the chief mechanical officer at Collingwood. I can't remember his last name but his first name was Harold, and he told me they could rebuild 6 ALCo S1's in a days time at those shops. I really think they would have survived a lot longer had it not been for the rush to get all new locomotives.
Perhaps the way NS is building new locomotives from old would have added life to these old friends.
I think that we might need a trip this summer to see the Delaware Lackawanna's Alco roster, and maybe drop by at Bowser, too.

Wayne
It's sad to see a bunch of Alco's on the dead line. I don't know if working on them is easier, but it is definitely different than an EMD. I did enjoy working on our FA-2 , which we will be re-motoring soon, as we just got a nice new prime mover for. So here is my contribution for today, a bunch of survivors in Bil's old hangout, East Stroudsburg, PA. They are passing the spot where the now preserved Dansbury Depot once stood heading for Scranton. This shot was from back in 2016.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
4/2/2015. Youngstown and Southeastern at Watts Mill Road.     Charlie
Great pictures.Here's a shot taken 02/04/2016 at Vinemount

[Image: 36081d89-df6c-4b10-a788-5dc2c30302a3_zpsfyqlogn5.jpg]
4/3/2015, Eastbound at East Palestine, Ohio     Charlie
Baldwin 26 under steam last April.

4/4/2015 westbound through Leetonia, Ohio.     Charlie
4/5/2015 East Palestine, Ohio     Charlie
April 8, 1977. East Palestine, Ohio     Charlie
Alco's at the Gap.