Trains on this day in the past:
MI-61 at the southern end of Conrail's yard at Millville, NJ, 12/23/09.

Bruce

Never did much railfanning around Christmas so here is one from a bright October day at MP 241 near the Horseshoe Curve.  It was cold and it started to snow just after I took this picture.      Charlie
Westbound helpers heading for another eastbound shove. Under the signal at Buckeye, East Palestine, Ohio      Charlie
Tied down for the holiday at East Palestine, Ohio.      Charlie
Westbound manifest at Enon Valley, Pa. MP 44 12/27/2014      Charlie
12/28/2012 westbound coal train at East Palestine, Ohio      Charlie
Macungie, PA, 12/28/19.

Bruce

Westbound at East Palestine with a GP35 in the lead. December, 1978.     Charlie
Winchester and Western at Vineland, NJ, 12/30/10.

Bruce

And to put an end to this year a couple units giving a push to a westbound at East Palestine, Ohio 12/31/1977.     Charlie
NS H79 with NS 8098 leaving South Jersey, 12/31/19.

Bruce

Conrail's Pavonia Yard, Camden, NJ, 1/1/15.

Bruce

1/1/1978 westbound at the Pleasant drive crossing in East Palestine, Ohio      Charlie

January. 1947 (day uncertain)

TTC PCC 4063
jumped the tracks at Lansdowne carhouse and struck the wall.
First PCC to be scrapped (anywhere).
Back end was used on another car.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
1/2/1979. The P&LE added a second daily trip to Pittsburgh. I think it must have been done  after the urging of PAT and the railroad was so confident It wouldn't work that they left 3 coaches in Pittsburgh. They added a second train that went to Beaver Falls around 10 am and returned to Pittsburgh at 11 am. This is the first run of the return trip of the second train.      If you rode the 11 AM you returned on the 5 PM train, which was packed with the early morning train that worked in Pittsburgh. 

The fare was $4.40 round trip. At the time I don't think you could park anywhere in Pittsburgh for less than 10 bucks a day. The powers that regulated rates at the time would not allow an increase in fare so the railroad could make more money, but they allowed them to discontinue the train.  

Railroad math is entirely unlike any math you studied in school.  When I was running the Kiski I got a real education into the railroad economics, and I must say, they are very railroad favorable, but they have to be because they are the only form of transportation that pays property taxes on everything they own.

Charlie