Trains on this day in the past:
November, 1978. A very dirty GM50 (GP40-2 to celebrate GM's 50th year of building locomotives)leads a manifest freight westbound at West Pittsburgh, Pa, on the New Castle yard lead off the P&W.      Charlie
November, 1978. Eastbound truck train under the Brookdale Avenue Bridge in East Palestine, Ohio. Two years and 7 months after Conrail was formed number 2 main track is getting much needed welded rail. Photo by my son Richard Ross Bowyer.     Charlie
Conrail's CA-11 at Carneys Point, NJ, 11/16/15.

Bruce

Pennsauken, NJ, 11/17/09.

Bruce

November, 1978 westbound at Pleasant Drive, East Palestine, Ohio.      Charlie
Winchester and Western  at Millville, NJ, 11/18/09.

Bruce

November 19, 1977. Eastbound crossing over the P&LE at Beaver Falls, Pa.      Charlie
On this, the 8th anniversary of this thread, I would like to take a moment to thank all those who have posted over the years. It is truly a wonderful look into the past. Thank you all.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Climbing out of East Palestine, Ohio. Westbound in November, 1977.     Charlie
I certainly second your comment, Tom.  Those older photos remind us of the diversity of railroads that we saw in the past if we happened to be trackside.

While the trains of today are impressive in their own way, watching the various road names in the past was a lesson in both the history and geography of North America.

That's one of the main reasons why I chose to model the late '30s.

Wayne
This certainly is my favourite thread on BigBlue---I always look forward to everyone's great contributions,especially the older pictures which certainly bring back many fond memories.
Back when the end of the train had a caboose and crew.  November, 1978 at New Waterford, Ohio.      Charlie
Eastbound leaving the Chessie yard at New Castle, Pa. November, 1978     Charlie
November, 1977. A westbound truck train at MP 48.8 on the Fort Wayne line, just east of East Palestine, Ohio.      Charlie
Robideau Distribution Center, Delaware Ave, Phila., PA, November 1993.

Bruce