Trains on this day in the past:
If you never rode in a caboose in the winter it was a thrill. It was cold for the most part unless you had a good wood fire in the stove. These cabins were oil fueled and did a good job above freezing but these guys are bundled pretty good to keep warm on this day in 1978. The temperature reached 24 degrees. Westbound at Summit Cut. The cupola was pretty warm in these and staying awake was a problem.      
Charlie
Winchester and Western at Millville, NJ, 1/22/15.

Bruce

1/22/1978 westbound at Leetonia, Ohio. It was another brutally cold day.  The worst was yet to come.     
Charlie
January 23, 1977 was pretty much like the same week a year later. A westbound crossing (not so) Pleasant Drive in East Palestine, Ohio.    
Charlie
1/25/2021---Kinnear Yard

Nice shot Ed Happy Birthday  1990_dancing train Cheers
Charlie
January 26, 1978, This was one of the coldest days I can remember yet the folks at Amtrak gave it a darned good try. I took this picture of a late #41 running west through East Palestine      . Four hours or so it was being towed back to Pittsburgh. I think the train made it as far west as Canton Ohio before it was annulled. The first photo is the Conrail rescue units, the second the now tail end crossing the Market Street Crossing. Now the management of Amtrak has annulled trains when there was only a small amount of snow predicted instead of what we got on these days in 1978. There were drifts over 15 feet tall in places and it was the only time I ever saw a snow plow on the rail through here.         
Charlie
Hi Charlie---1/26/1978---I was celebrating my 31st birthday that day---I'm pretty sure it was a cold day here in the Great White North as well but at that time in my life I was probably celebrating in a warm location rather than standing trackside watching trains.In many ways I regret I wasn't taking pictures of the local train action in those years as so much has changed---this is why I appreciate your's and other's photo collection from those "lost years".
1/26/1947---Leetown

Leaving the New Castle yard via P&LE trackage rights late January, 1978    
Charlie
A pair of ex Conrail locos at Millville, NJ, 1/27/10.  Winchester and Western GP10 and Norfolk Southern GP38-2.

Bruce

1/28/1978 westbound under the signal at "Buckeye" East Palestine, Ohio.     
Charlie
1/28/2015---King Rd.,Aldershot

1/29/1977. Pleasant Drive, East Palestine, Ohio     
Charlie
1/30/2010 New Galilee, Pa.     
Charlie