Trains on this day in the past:
Southern RR of NJ U30B with stone cars at Winslow, March 1994.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

March 18, 1978, on an eastbound through East Palestine, Ohio     Charlie
March 19, 1978. C30-7 6602 leads CG8 through East Palestine heading for Conway.     Charlie
Charlie - thanks for posting that pic yesterday. That's the reason I enjoy trains. As a kid I never paid attention to the engines, I was always interested in the box cars and the mysteries they offered. All those road names, the far off places they represented, the contents. When we were stopped by a train, it was never going slow enough for me to read all the road names and think about all the mysteries they brought into my life.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
I agree, Tom. Every moment spent at the head of the line when the crossing gates were down was like a mini-tour of far off places. The cars today are still from far off places, but with a lot smaller selection of roadnames, and a corresponding loss of attraction.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:I agree, Tom. Every moment spent at the head of the line when the crossing gates were down was like a mini-tour of far off places. The cars today are still from far off places, but with a lot smaller selection of roadnames, and a corresponding loss of attraction.

Wayne
I was too old to remember billboard refers, and I am still trying to figure why they ruled against them. I read somewhere it was to prevent transporting one brand in a car advertizing another brand (to simplify), but I have seen cars today with company ads, so why not decorate them so we can enjoy them, after all, the graffiti "artists" do it.
I remember, and have pictures of many advertising box cars such as this Reading car.
Charlie
Southern RR of NJ at Mullica on March 19, 2014.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

East bound on P&LE trackage. Wampum, Pa March, 1981     Charlie
Heading for Conway with a manifest freight March, 1978. The bridge crosses the mouth of Beaver Creek at Smith's Ferry, Pa, just east of the Oh/Pa state line.     Charlie
March of 77 and this  GP9 lettered CR locomotive still shows its heritage. East Palestine, Ohio    
March 23, 2008 C40-9w leads a container train east at Aley Hill Road near Homewood Jct, Pa.    
Charlie
CSX 4415 drills the yard at Burlington, NJ on March 23, 2009.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

CR 8090 heads up a consist of one boxcar and twenty five stone cars for interchange with the Southern RR of NJ, March, 1997.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

A mixed consist in Freedom, Pa March, 1978    
Charlie
CSX Q418 is coming off of the Delair Bridge and is making it's way into Pavonia Yard at Camden on March 25, 2009.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)