We need MORE room!!!
A lot of you remember the 7' long G scale I had hanging on the ceiling.........

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Well - it's gone now.......

A frirnd & I are making it the length of the room.....
It will now be 17 feet long by 5 feet wide (deep) Eek Eek

Here is a pic of the Eastern end:

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Nice one Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
I really hate to bring this up, but if you were to have that in Normal scale, you wouldn't have these kind of problems now, would you??? 357 357
Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
What Don said! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Having the Grossley oversized scale, is better on the old eyes... I couldn't see the abNormally small sized trains anymore... Sad Sad

But I did keep my NickName Eek Goldth Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:Having the Grossley oversized scale, is better on the old eyes... I couldn't see the abNormally small sized trains anymore... Sad Sad

But I did keep my NickName Eek Goldth Goldth

It's not that bad, what you need is a Grossly oversize magnifying glass, and then just ask everyone to step back about four feet and you're home free....... Cheers

Oh yeah, tell them all, no touching. Sometimes pieces fall off and you won't be able to find them, even with good eyesight. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Yeah that ol' eyesight thing is BS. I'm blind in my left eye, which had been my good eye and need a minimum of 3.5 magnification for my right eye and I have more problems working on the O and G stuff at the museum then I do with my N stuff at home. When you go bigger you have to include more and more detail to make the model look right to the mind and the eye. All that stuff doesn't exist in the smaller scales. And to be in scale trees need to be 2 feet tall in O and 4 feet tall in G Eek !!!!!! The eyesight thing is just a copout. Nope
Hopefully cataract surgery in about 3 weeks will restore my eyesight in my left eye. If it does and I can see again I'm still not going to backslide to one of the wrong scales ! Icon_lol
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Yeah that ol' eyesight thing is BS. I'm blind in my left eye, which had been my good eye and need a minimum of 3.5 magnification for my right eye and I have more problems working on the O and G stuff at the museum then I do with my N stuff at home. When you go bigger you have to include more and more detail to make the model look right to the mind and the eye. All that stuff doesn't exist in the smaller scales. And to be in scale trees need to be 2 feet tall in O and 4 feet tall in G Eek !!!!!! The eyesight thing is just a copout. Nope
Hopefully cataract surgery in about 3 weeks will restore my eyesight in my left eye. If it does and I can see again I'm still not going to backslide to one of the wrong scales ! Icon_lol

To start with, good luck on your impending surgery. I really hope that it's successful. Keep us posted. Gee, once your eye is working good, maybe you might consider Z scale... 357 357

The one drawback with the smaller scales is working with small parts. Glue something together and be off by a 1/16" in G scale and it's barely noticeable, do the same thing in N scale and things just don't fit anymore. Nope And we always have to go with the dropping of parts on the floor. With N scale you probably won't ever see the part again, but if you do find it,it will not be damaged. However, the danger with G scale, is that you'll probably break the part or even a toe if you're not very lucky. 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hey !!! Come on now ! if you want to build the entire Pennsylvania railroad, on a postage stamp, there's nothing like "T" scale ! :o :o Icon_twisted

Wink or 1/700, or, .............. 1/2256 scale ( 0.00532" = 1 FOOT !! ) which is what some of the Star Wars modelers work in !

Go ahead someone Icon_twisted , let's see a 1/2256 scale "Big Boy" 357 357 357 357

Try finding decals for that model ! Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Hey !!! Come on now ! if you want to build the entire Pennsylvania railroad, on a postage stamp, there's nothing like "T" scale ! :o :o Icon_twisted

Wink or 1/700, or, .............. 1/2256 scale ( 0.00532" = 1 FOOT !! ) which is what some of the Star Wars modelers work in !

Go ahead someone Icon_twisted , let's see a 1/2256 scale "Big Boy" 357 357 357 357

Try finding decals for that model ! Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Icon_twisted

Well, when you're scaling down something that is originally the size of Rhode Island, then that's not so hard anymore... Nope 357 357

Oh, one more advantage of working in Normal scale, shipping charges are way down. Welcome I think when you ship something in 1/2256 scale, they pay you. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
"The one drawback with the smaller scales is working with small parts."

True but in N most of those little detail parts don't exist so no problem. Misngth
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:"The one drawback with the smaller scales is working with small parts."

True but in N most of those little detail parts don't exist so no problem. Misngth

Yeah, granted, things like door knobs, grab bars and many other details are molded in, but those little-bitty screws and those almost non-existent parts like lamps, drain pipes, roof thingies that you have to glue in place can be a pain if the drop on the floor. I haven't a clue as to where they go. When I sweep the floor, I get about ten pounds of trash, but not one missing part. Nope Fortunately, and I think you will agree, forging a new part is no problem since no one can tell the difference anyway. Big Grin I've even replaced missing parts with bits of bent wire, try that in G scale... Goldth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:if they drop on the floor. I haven't a clue as to where they go. When I sweep the floor, I get about ten pounds of trash, but not one missing part. Nope

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Don, it looks like you haven't quite learned the "lesson of the floor".
It is a simple lesson:
Where "parts" are concerned, the "floor" is a Black Hole, from which no part ever returns ! However, and this is the important thing, as the number of missing parts grows, so does the attraction to even more parts! YES, they are actually "pulled into the vortex" that we call "The Floor", by all the other parts that are still there Eek Eek Eek Icon_twisted 357 357

Oh, Standing on your head to build, doesn't work.......the parts just fall into the void known as "The Ceiling" Wink Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:if they drop on the floor. I haven't a clue as to where they go. When I sweep the floor, I get about ten pounds of trash, but not one missing part. Nope

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Don, it looks like you haven't quite learned the "lesson of the floor".
It is a simple lesson:
Where "parts" are concerned, the "floor" is a Black Hole, from which no part ever returns ! However, and this is the important thing, as the number of missing parts grows, so does the attraction to even more parts! YES, they are actually "pulled into the vortex" that we call "The Floor", by all the other parts that are still there Eek Eek Eek Icon_twisted 357 357

Oh, Standing on your head to build, doesn't work.......the parts just fall into the void known as "The Ceiling" Wink Icon_twisted
I suspected as much, but didn't really know where they went until now. Thank you for this enlightening information, and to think that I actually chose N scale over buying a second house, renting storage space, digging a basement or adding another 1,000 feet to this one and go with a larger scale. Icon_lol Gee, isn't that the reason that Mikey started this thread in the first place?????? 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and