2013 auction #4: N scale anniversary car----
Well folks, this is it, this is the last of our original anniversary cars to be put up for auction. It’s hard to believe that we’re now into our fifth anniversary and we a still dealing with cars from out second one. Our plan was to auction off these anniversary cars over time, some were on tours, others were not. We are at the end and have the last N scale original anniversary car. Make no mistake; this is the last one that we will be auctioning off, so if you want one, this is the time to bid. This one is for an N scale, 40’ boxcar #BBG 100100 as pictured below. It has been decorated by Sumpter250, but was not part of a tour, . The car has been stripped, repainted in BB&G colors, decorated in our Anniversary scheme and clear-coated. Along with the BB&G herald, it has the “Anniversary Special” lettering. The build plaque shows a build date of 12-01 (when the original Gauge was started) and a rebuild date of 12-08 (the rebirth of The-Gauge as Big Blue). Those are the dates that make up our 10th and 2nd anniversaries. Also, note that this car has a unique number that will not appear on any other BB&G rolling stock. We will leave any weathering to its new owner if they think it’s appropriate. This car, we hope, will become treasured and be a show of pride for your membership and support of the Big Blue Train Forums.

Note that the winning bidder of this car will receive, along with the car, a certificate of authenticity signed by the person that decorated it.

Now, let’s get started. We are offering N scale, 40’ boxcar #BBG 100100 to the highest bidder. Here are the bidding rules:
  1. There is no minimum bid and no reserve, the highest bidder at the time the auction closes will get the car.
  2. Please keep you bid raises in increments of at least fifty cents and preferably a dollar or more.
  3. You can bid publicly by posting it in this thread. This thread is for bidding only; any comments or questions should be made in this thread or by PM to either ezdays or ngauger. Non-bid posts will be deleted from this thread.
  4. If you want to enter an anonymous bid (just like the rich and famous do), you can PM either ezdays or ngauger and we will bid on your behalf, (we will post the bid amount, but keep your name confidential, just like at those big auction houses). You may also want to give us the maximum you would want to go and we’ll bid for you by adding one dollar above the last bid, up the maximum that you have set, again, just like Christie’s does for the big boys.
  5. The auction will run until December 31st, at which time we will announce the winner and ship the car to them.
  6. The successful bidder will pay all shipping costs. That cost is estimated to be under $5.00US.
  7. Payment can be by PayPal, check or MO. We will give the winner instructions on how and where to pay.

Remember, 100% of the proceeds from this auction is to help keep Big Blue running, so we are depending on you for your support and hope to give something back in return.

Good luck to you all.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I'll open with $10
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:I'll open with $10

Thank you kind sir for this opening bid. This is a rare opportunity to get a Sumpter250 original. I just read where an original Norman Rockwell went for some $46,000,000 at an auction yesterday. It would be nice to think that Pete's decorated cars would approach that figure. Goldth

Nice start regardless... Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:It would be nice to think that Pete's decorated cars would approach that figure. Goldth

357 357 yeah, it might "approach" but would leave quickly, before the "guards" realized it had sneaked in !!! 357 357

:o Seriously, though, this car is the last of "it's kind", even if it hasn't been anywhere but here on the shelf, and, the winning bid will help Big Blue continue to be the best "______" model railroading bulletin board on the web!
I enjoyed painting, and lettering this N scale car, and hope it finds a good home! Big Grin

As before, I will cover the cost of shipping, to the winning bidder.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:It would be nice to think that Pete's decorated cars would approach that figure. Goldth

357 357 yeah, it might "approach" but would leave quickly, before the "guards" realized it had sneaked in !!! 357 357

:o Seriously, though, this car is the last of "it's kind", even if it hasn't been anywhere but here on the shelf, and, the winning bid will help Big Blue continue to be the best "______" model railroading bulletin board on the web!
I enjoyed painting, and lettering this N scale car, and hope it finds a good home! Big Grin

As before, I will cover the cost of shipping, to the winning bidder.

Well, that 46 mil included the buyer's premium, and we have none of that here, so there's still a chance that we can achieve that lofty, but somewhat demented goal. 35 35

And thank you Pete for picking up the shipping tab, we're much closer to our goal now..... Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Mike, you're not about to get it for $10 ! Do you want to just keep going up $1 at a time? Or take it in big leaps? I'll just start at $11. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
Your dollar Lynn and I'll raise you 2 more for a lucky $13 ! Misngth
Mike

OK Smarty. If that's the way you want to play, it's $16.

Lynn Wink
Whitehouse, Tx
Thank you both for your spirited bidding. We are only $45,999,984 away from our estimated value on this fine piece of equipment. Misngth But then again, there are times when something exceeds its estimated auction appraisal. For example, that recent Rockwell was estimated to bring a mere 20 mil and it brought in 46, so we have a chance at a much higher bid than estimated. 2285_

Seriously though, regardless of where we wind up we appreciate any bids that we get, as well as the donations of the cars we have the privilege to auction off. Thumbsup Thumbsup It means a lot to us to know that our members care Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
In an effort to get to that $46 million even quicker I up it to $19 ! Goldth
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:In an effort to get to that $46 million even quicker I up it to $19 ! Goldth

That's a pretty strong bid there, Thumbsup it gets us sooooo much closer to our estimated value. We went to the best appraiser that we could afford and although he is not accredited and knows nothing about either the model train or collectable markets, he did take two minutes between plumbing jobs to give us this appraisal. Make no mistake, he hasn't a clue about this, but he did send away for a correspondence course, and that was good enough for us..... Icon_lol

Yes folks, we're looking for 46 million, 46 million, do I hear any bids.... how about $20?????? That'll work 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just a reminder, but we've still got a bit over a week left on this auction. We've just a bit shy of our goal of $46,000,000 an are very close to that number with a bid of $19.00. Thumbsup Just a few more bids and we should be able to make that goal. Nope

Welcome Don't let a rare opportunity slip by, this is the last anniversary car to be auctioned off. Welcome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:Welcome Don't let a rare opportunity slip by, this is the last anniversary car to be auctioned off. Welcome

Not only a rare opportunity, but there's no extra charge for the Wink "closest thing to postal-employee-proof shipping crate" Wink the car will arrive in ! Wink Wink Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
It's still at $19? I must have missed some bids somewhere along the line. Lets see, if $19, I'd have gone #20, Then they should have jumped to #22, just to irk me. That means that I am now at $25. Now let's see what someone does. Do I hear $30? Hah! Didn't think so. 2285_ 2285_

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
We have a winner, thank you yellowlynn for your high bid of $25. We will be in contact with you shortly. Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and