pop-ups
I have been getting a lot of pop-ups for ads on this site for about the last 4 days now. I'm not getting these on other sites. I get them in IE and Firefox and Chrome ?????
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:I have been getting a lot of pop-ups for ads on this site for about the last 4 days now. I'm not getting these on other sites. I get them in IE and Firefox and Chrome ?????

Just what kind of ads are you seeing? We have never subscribed to any ads of any kind, banner, pop-up or any others, and we never will. This could be something you might have picked up somewhere. Just a suggestion, but I'd run your A/V in full scan mode, and if you don't already have it, download "Malwarebytes" (it's free) and run it. I would also clear your cache and history.

It would be of interest to see if anyone else is having the same thing happen. We could have Packey look into see if someone planted something in our forum code, but then everyone would be seeing these ads, so I'm not sure of what the chances of that are.

Good luck and keep us posted. If we can do something on our end, you can be sure we'll do it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I'm not getting anything on my computer. He may have picked something up. AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials are good freebies too (although the AVG is a trial version). My favorite to buy is Trend Micro Antivirus because Norton and McAfee are the two most common antivirus programs that hackers are familiar with.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I had some very aggressive virus PUP (potentially unwanted program), which very often opened advertising offers on various websites, not Big Blue.
I use a firewall and I have Trend Micro Antivirus installed with a permanent updating of search pattern. And yet two such viruses have settled with one of last software downloads. Trend Micro did not recognized them!
My son and I have checked my computer using the Kaspersky security scan and we have found a few infected programms and files. At end we have cleaned my computer using Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 software. The cleaning system has found more than 100 infected files - and after my computer is free of viruses again.
A remark: Kaspersky writes on its website, that they find more than 100.000 different new variants of viruses - daily!
Perhaps this could be the way for you - search for "Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10".

PS. Viruses on my computer were "Nation Zoom" and "Deal Finder".
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
All of the antivirus programs miss some of the crap sent out over the internet. I try to update them daily. You have to see how many updates there are. I would not be surprised to find out that some of the viruses are coming from antivirus software companies. I know that every time Microsoft sends me updates, my computer goes nuts.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

So far, so good. That is about to change though, once I get highspeed, and start "surfing for real". Right now, there's only so much time in a day, and there are more important things to do than "invite viruses in".
There is, as far as I am concerned, no punishment severe enough for the :o "hackers" who spread "viruses".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Dealfinder is one of them, sweetpacks is another and there are two or three more.
Mike

Often, there is "spyware" included with freeware you may have downloaded. Sometimes when you download a flash player or java, there is something in the fine print that you have to uncheck or it will install special toolbars in your browser, special search pages, etc, and it is a PITA to undo all that stuff.

I'm guessing you have some kind of spyware or adware running in the background, and you probably need someone with computer knowledge to get rid of it for you.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Mike, try to clean your computer with "Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10" and I think that you will have success.
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
I do plan on trying it. Another trick that I do is I look in my downloads and updates to see what was downloaded in a certain time frame and then I delete it.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I ran my cc cleaner and advast then did a reg edit and I seem to have gotton rid of about 99% of it.
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:I ran my cc cleaner and advast then did a reg edit and I seem to have gotton rid of about 99% of it.

Good, I would still try to run Malwarebytes. I usually do it the same time as I do ccleaner. Unlike a A/V, it doesn't run in the background. I also run a full scan with Avast once a week. What's really amazing is that all of them are free. Big Grin Yeah, they all have a paid version but the free ones are good enough for a single computer.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Mike Kieran Wrote:I do plan on trying it. Another trick that I do is I look in my downloads and updates to see what was downloaded in a certain time frame and then I delete it.

Mike, this is absolutely not sufficient. You will not be able to find a trace of malware, and the computer can still be infected. Everything that has been described here, I have executed. Only by a cleaning I've found all these infected files - and now the PC is ok again.
Addition: The "Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10" sw is a free usable solution.
Cheers, Bernd

Bernhard,
I do that in addition to Disk Clean and spyware check. I prefer to come at it from all directions. I also run 2 spyware programs. But to be honest, no ONE program covers them all.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike, I think you're right.
I was sure to have a well-protected PC until I have found that viruses had found a new home. Maybe I had a bit of luck with using the Kaspersky Rescue Disk. And it certainly is not an error to use this cleaning software when viruses have settled.
I am sure that next virus will follow, but I hope not tomorrow.
Cheers, Bernd