Where is the ground in Chicago?
faraway Wrote:This is not my topic anymore

Sometimes threads have a way of meandering once and a while...but I look forward to what you plan to do with your layout this year in this thread Reinhard. Threads are easily returned to their original topic with one post. Thumbsup
jwb Wrote:Well, OK, if that's what people have signed on to. On the other hand, the approach of saying my ISL is in Alaska, so I have pine trees -- whoops, now it's in Florida, I have palm trees, and I've renamed this spur for whatever supermarket chain is prevalent wherever, begins to take on a same old-same old. Where's the challenge? I'm not referring to anyone's single layout; there's a million like that in the UK (and I've discovered they get really upset when I make this comment, especially if I mention the Miley Cyrus of ISL builders in the same post). I can partly see the space issue if all you have and all you'll ever have is a 1 x 6, but even L**** M*******, given the chance, builds custom layouts for things like the Northeast Corridor, and I'll bet he'd get pretty bored if all anyone asked him to build was Florida-theme ISLs, convertible with a few hours work to Seattle if they really felt like it. Even there, part of the challenge in life is to find a way to go beyond what you think is the minimum space you have. But each to his own. Nevertheless, there's such a thing as same old-same old.

Here come those 'straw men' again.
Other then Jon Grant's " Sweet Home Chicago" layout I never seen a Chicago based ISL.

So,I too am looking forward to the 2014 project..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Steve:Here come those 'straw men' again.
------------------------------------------------
Straw men?

The beauty of a ISL is there's not much to do in changing the location or backdating the layout.Some of us enjoy modeling a certain industrial area like Lance does while others takes a more generic approach both is equally correct.

If I'm modeling 122nd Street Industrial lead in Anywhere USA then I should used local industry names to set the location.Thankfully most modern industries uses the same upside down shoe box building design and changing locations is as easy as changing names of the industries..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Steve:Here come those 'straw men' again.
------------------------------------------------
Straw men?

The beauty of a ISL is there's not much to do in changing the location or backdating the layout.Some of us enjoy modeling a certain industrial area like Lance does while others takes a more generic approach both is equally correct.

If I'm modeling 122nd Street Industrial lead in Anywhere USA then I should used local industry names to set the location.Thankfully most modern industries uses the same upside down shoe box building design and changing locations is as easy as changing names of the industries..

Larry, I completely agree. My comment was with regard to the spurious assertion by JWB that there are 'a million layouts like that in the UK' and that, even if that were true, it is somehow not challenging and, hence, to be derided. The fact that a layout may not be seen to be 'challenging' is somehow seen by John as being less worthy and thus can be justifiably criticised. The reality is that most people will build what they enjoy and that may well result in many variations on that theme. I see that as perfectly justifiable and not to be derided by a pejorative overtone. It is also true that for many, the pleasure is in the construction rather than the operation, hence more layouts built to a level that they consider acceptable, rather than a lifetime constructing a 'magnus opus'. I also don't see anything wrong with a layout that can realistically be converted from one area to another 'with a few hours work'. Strikes me as being a damn good idea and ensures greater 'play value' for the space and time available.
shortliner Wrote:I go on the basis of "Whatever floats your boat!" and Rules One and Two

#1 its my railway
#2 where other opinions differ from my modelled interpretation, see rule#1

Big Grin Big Grin That explains almost all of my hand built engines and my entire layout!!!! Smile Smile

Reinhard - I too, look forward to what you design!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I also don't see anything wrong with a layout that can realistically be converted from one area to another 'with a few hours work'. Strikes me as being a damn good idea and ensures greater 'play value' for the space and time available.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely.I've changed/backed several of my past ISLs-usually in 12- 18 months so,I can get the maximum return on play value before I change things.The longest time I kept a ISL without change was 2 years..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Other then Jon Grant's " Sweet Home Chicago" layout I never seen a Chicago based ISL.

So,I too am looking forward to the 2014 project..

I'm planning a really small Chicago ISL not quite upto Jon's standard, and I'm sure JWB will hate it, but hey who cares, and it'll use a small portion of the River, but will be semi freelance, as I'll use separately some motive power from NS,CIRY,CSL,Terminal RR, UP and SOO/bandits and maybe a little CP.

Good luck.
My Miami NW 22nd St layout and modelling blog http://dlmr.wordpress.com/ Please come by and leave a comment.
faraway Wrote:This is not my topic anymore

Reinhard, while it seems to have wandered into a criticsm of layout philosophies, it is still your thread and I am subscribed to this and your other threads because what you do interests me. I don't model in your era, or locale, or change much on my layout unless I see a way to improve it, but I still am interested in what you do and how you do it.
I would respectfully suggest that interested parties might wish to start a thread on layout philosophy critiques in our Layouts sub-forum.

On the plus side, we've all learned some interesting history on where the ground is in Chicago. Wink Goldth

Wayne
This made me walk away from this thread.
jab Wrote:.... Where's the challenge? ....Even there, part of the challenge in life is to find a way to go beyond what you think is the minimum space you have....
I am doing model railroad for pure fun only. The challenges of my life have been mastered successful in the past and my wife and I enjoy a happy life. We will do our best again if the destiny will trough some more on us.
Failure to have perfect 90° angles on my buildings is not a challenge. It's just tough luck and I put 85° corner buildings with a big smile on my layout for the pure sake of fun. That is a very different approach from the real world and that is what makes it a hobby and not a new profession.
Reinhard
Reinhard - just keep on doing what you are doing! The way you achieve a change of era/RR/location by swapping out buildings and locos is masterful - I follow you threads, and it certainly doesn't offend me - rather I'd say that it is inspirational.
shortliner Wrote:Reinhard - just keep on doing what you are doing! The way you achieve a change of era/RR/location by swapping out buildings and locos is masterful - I follow you threads, and it certainly doesn't offend me - rather I'd say that it is inspirational.

Hear hear. Absolutely. Cheers
Reinhard,I enjoy watching the change overs..I might find a great idea I can stea---ah,borrow from you..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Good ideas and commentary on both sides, stifled as always by those among us who are obviously uncomfortable in the presence of open discussion and critical thinking.

There is no such thing as "your thread". The moment you post it is becomes the property of all. Check "everyone else's" threads if you doubt this fact.

There have been numerous layouts in the rail modeling mags which feature interchangable design elements and locations. Industrial architecture is made-to-order for uni-location placement since they literally "all look alike". Thank you and curse you, Bauhause School of Architecture.

Oh, by the way, there are a great many areas of America which routinely pass for other parts of it, and other parts of the world. I just watched a film which substituted an American locale for Afghanistan, so NEVER say "it can't be done" because it has been and it is every moment of every day.

Never say always and never say never.