Weekly Photo Fun 1/3 - 1/9/14
Conrail 9506 works the Mannheim Yard

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

The local has placed a refer at the dairy and is waiting for a brake release before proceeding to the mainline.    
Charlie
Highballing on Charming Creek # 1....

Cheers, the Bear. Wink
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
A rare moment of quiet in Kings Port at the entrance to Williams Yard.

[Image: 002_zps50984ef3.jpg]
A BAR GP7 on lease to the LF&NW:

The city got a new face
[Image: IMG_2995_zps37fc8597.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2994_zps5350cb14.jpg]
Reinhard
JaBear Wrote:Highballing on Charming Creek # 1....
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Cheers, the Bear. Wink

Interesting flat car.......what gets to be hauled in/on, that one?
It looks like it might be usable by the narrow gauge Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Company.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete, that looks like a rail and tie car which Train Miniature had some years ago, and perhaps Silver Streak or Tru-Scale before that. Rails on the bottom and ties in the elevated enclosure. I don't know if it's based on a real one or not, but an interesting-looking car in either case. Wink Thumbsup

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Pete, that looks like a rail and tie car which Train Miniature had some years ago
Just to add to Waynes comment, it was from a Walthers Work Train Set, which I believe used the Train Miniature tooling.
Don't know about the specific prototype but here's a link to the D&RGW......<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://drgw.free.fr/DRGW/MOW/Wreck/Secours_en.htm">http://drgw.free.fr/DRGW/MOW/Wreck/Secours_en.htm</a><!-- m -->
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
JaBear Wrote:doctorwayne" wrote: Pete, that looks like a rail and tie car which Train Miniature had some years ago.
Just to add to Waynes comment, it was from a Walthers Work Train Set, which I believe used the Train Miniature tooling.
Don't know about the specific prototype but here's a link to the D&RGW......<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://drgw.free.fr/DRGW/MOW/Wreck/Secours_en.htm">http://drgw.free.fr/DRGW/MOW/Wreck/Secours_en.htm</a><!-- m -->
Cheers, the Bear.
Great photos of the D&RGW car. That will have to go on the "to-do list", for consideration in both HOn3, and On30.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Two new pictures from my second reefer project - rebuilding 3 Decker reefer (with the roof lettering).

The original detail on the doors - not to scale and more for playing.

[Image: decker-reefer_10k.jpg]

My modifications - parts made by Grandt Line.

[Image: decker-reefer_14k.jpg]

But the Grandt Line parts are fixed only temporary. The models need at first but still an improvement of original color.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
The Grandt Line parts are a big improvement, Bernhard. Thumbsup I thought that Atlas did a fairly nice job on those cars, but ruined them with the working doors. I didn't buy any when they were first released, mostly because of the toy-like door hardware (although they were also kinda pricey Misngth ). I thought that not too many folks would buy them because of the hardware, and then they would go on sale and I could grab a couple of them at a reduced price. Wink That never happened, though, and I don't ever recall seeing even an occasional one on the "used" market - I guess Atlas must've known what they were doing. Icon_lol

Wayne
Wayne, thanks.

These ATLAS reefer are alltogether well designed but built more for child's hands. A good idea however the price it high also, more than $30.
Their decoration is well done, lettering is brightly and sharp but details are in most cases too thick and so not good enough for serious model railroaders.
I own three such models of first series with different design and I reworked them - at underbody and brake.

[Image: atlas_reefer_02k.jpg]

Here a picture of original car - and you can not decide if it should be a steel frame or one from wood. Center beam looks very close to steel and there are a few U-channels added - for redirecting of truss rods. Details are relatively fine modelled however than Atlas installed simple plastic blocks as turnbuckles.
So I rebuild and backdated the cars to 1900 or 1910 by rebuilding the frame to a pure wood frame with better looking turnbuckles.
Repetition of two pictures that I've shown here already.

[Image: atlas_reefer_11k.jpg]

[Image: decker-reefer_07k.jpg]

The second frame rebuilding is slightly different from the first.
Already on the first series that I planned to rebuild the door hardware again, but I knew that I would destroy the color of the doors and side walls - and so I let it be. Modification of frames and brakes were so that what I did with the first series.
However then I found a video with the fascinating reefers with roof lettering, the Decker reefers and I must own the second serie of these cars, from ATLAS again. This time I started the rebuilding together with my friend Joerg (from Leipzig, not IndyCity-Joerg here), and he will repair the painting and lettering, where I'm just doing damages. And this time replacing of door hardware to a more reality-like design has first priority!
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Bernhard,
I am still a bit overwhelmed by the quality of detail in your truss rods, turnbuckles, hangers, brake rods and levers.
I am also still trying to get to "that level" of excellence.......I'm close, but not "there" yet.
On the other hand, once I get "there", "to the top of the mountain", there is no place to go but "down" ( I don't know if better, is probable....or, for that, even possible ). Besides, I'm still enjoying the "climb". 2285_ Big Grin
Sumpter, thanks! But this too many of honour.
I try to make it 'good' and I need a lot of time in most cases. I'm lucky if I have reached what I hoped. I think also that we all here will reach a better quality than before building the next model and so we all will have our personal success.
In this sense, success and enjoy with a new start of next model!
Thanks again!
Cheers, Bernd