What made you choose....
iis612 Wrote:Your particular road?
Your particular location?
Your particular era?

I find the answers to these endlessly fascinating.

At one time I was a stickler on modeling one road be it freelance or prototype..Today I am buying stuff I always wanted by didn't fit my modeling style-like a Santa Fe passenger train.
---------------------------------------------------
For my ISLs I favored Toledo or Huron since both are on the shore of beautiful Lake Erie or my second choice along the Ohio River around Cincinnati..
--------------------------------------------------
I favor the IPD boxcar era around 1978 but,I have cars that will fit from 75-95.I like changing eras on my ISLs.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
"Your particular road?"
I modeled for some time before the name of the railroad came to me. The East Central Indiana is so named because it runs down the eastern side of Indiana from Anderson in North Central Indiana to Westport in Southern Indiana. It is a freelanced road.

"Your particular location?"
My hometown of Anderson. That is roughly the major city on my layout, with modifications. And then Westport for the small town, although Westport is in much better shape on my railroad than it is in reality.

"Your particular era?"
I started looking for Today, but found that it was more to my liking to move back to 1970. I can still have the ECI plus NYC, PRR and PC locomotives and cars.
Your particular road?
Any road that does industry switching in urban areas with
a. LAJ, CIRY short and small engines (SW..., CF7, GP15....)
b. UP, BNSF, CSX Gensets just because I like them so much even they barely fit on my small ISL
c. freelance industry switching road

Freelance urban area with small industry switching after the year 2000. A specific prototype (e.g. Vernon, CA, Cermak Rd Chicago...) is selected for general inspiration and to prevent science fiction instead of freelance.

Your particular era?
a. Today interpreted as 2000+
b. 1980's are a temporary alternative implemented with minor modifications only (swap of locomotives, cars and automobiles)
Reinhard
MountainMan Wrote:Back To The Future Part III plus a desire to be able to experiment in any direction I choose.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I do hope you have "The De Lorean" hidden somewhere on the layout. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Setting the right parameters, from the start, helps broaden the scope of what is modeled. Sounds like a great inspiration to me. Cheers Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Excellent topic!

Railroad:

Wisconsin Central was the first American railroad I modelled, and is still the focus of my main layout. The reason - prior to converting to American prototype modelling, I had always modelled UK railways in Cornwall, originally the Great Western Railway, then moving on to 'modern' modelling of the then current scene of the late 1980's and 1990's.

It was towards the end of this period that Ed Burkhart started freight operations in the UK as the company 'English Welsh and Scottish' or EWS as it was called. Locomotives were painted in an attractive maroon and gold .... I soon learnt that he was one of the founders of the modern Wisconsin Central, and after some investigation was hooked!

Modelling the Cornish railways, china clay, or kaolin as it is known in the USA was a key commodity, and due to its connections to paper production, I had learnt quite a bit about that industry. Once I started modelling the Wisconsin Central, it was the logical thing to model the paper producing areas of Wisconsin.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Your particular road?
I always say British railways (note the small r)
My wife picked Perth and Exeter as the Ontario towns we started out in, but in Britain it makes a long road, stretching the length of 2 kingdoms. Or it could be a very small railway with ambitions.

I have a London station named St Mary Ax. (Gilbert & Sullivan fans will know it's pronounced Simmery Ax.) I hope to get Perth and Exeter added, but not prototype.

Your particular era?
1829-1959. Guess what that covers.

I also claim the Esquesing and Chinguacousy Radial Railway, which is an interurban line and a typographer's nightmare.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
"At one time I was a stickler on modeling one road be it freelance or prototype..Today I am buying stuff I always wanted by didn't fit my modeling style-like a Santa Fe passenger train."

To add to my initial post...The southwestern setting was also chosen to be able to run a SF Super Chief...As a kid, I recall going to Mexico City's RR Station to pick up my mother who was returning from New Mexico where she had been visiting some friends, and returned via the "Aguila Azteca" . That train was painted exactly as the SF Super Chief. I recall waiting at the station tracks watching this behemoth of a train looming ever closer 'till it stopped a few feet short of the track's end, where I was standing.
Gus (LC&P).
Your particular Road: Southern Pacific and California Northern. (SP because I love the colour schemes on scarlet and red, the variety of light packages and other details, and their operational area (I love the west coast scenery/landscapes) . CFNR because while looking for a suitable secondary line to model the SP on, I came across them and instantly liked their green and white colours, the fact they ran SD9's (one of myfavourites), and when they started out, still interchanged and even used lease engines from the SP, and SP had some trackage rights).

Your particular location: California from American Canyon (Napa Junction) towards Willits one way, and towards Davies and west valley sub in the other). I hasten to clarify that I don't follow the prototype 100%, I try to get the feel of the area within the restrictions of my small layout space.

ERA: first half of 1990's , approx 1993 (the start up years of the CFNR, and SP still several years away from being assimilated into the Borg. (UP ) )

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
All in one sentence:
The Central New England Railway, which ran from Campbell Hall, PA to Harford,CT through the Northwest Hills of Connecticut(location), and was swallowed up by the New Haven, and finally abandoned in 1938. I'm modeling it as if it was still running today(era) which gives me the oppertunity to run modern equipment.

OK...So that was two sentences.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Back To The Future Part III plus a desire to be able to experiment in any direction I choose.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I do hope you have "The De Lorean" hidden somewhere on the layout. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Setting the right parameters, from the start, helps broaden the scope of what is modeled. Sounds like a great inspiration to me. Cheers Cheers

The DeLorean was destroyed at the end of BTF III. Doc replaced it with a time-traveling engine - remember?

However, I am planning on a DeLorean on a flatcar for the personal use of "Marty Eastwood", also a member of my "group".
MountainMan Wrote:The DeLorean was destroyed at the end of BTF III. Doc replaced it with a time-traveling engine - remember?
However, I am planning on a DeLorean on a flatcar for the personal use of "Marty Eastwood", also a member of my "group".

357 357 Icon_twisted The DeLorean, was a time machine, so it could have visited a place after its "destruction", before it was destroyed. Icon_twisted 357 357
Yes, I do enjoy "Science Fiction"

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Your particular road?

For me, it all starts with the Cotton Belt. As a kid in Ft. Worth I waited in anticipation for the engines with Cotton Belt and Southern Pacific splashed on their bloody noses to come rumbling down the tracks 100 yds from my Grandmothers house to see them smash the pennies I put on the track. That is until my grandfather convinced me I was the reason the train was going to derail...

I have since acquired a fleet of motive power that includes SP, SSW, Frisco, KCS, Southern, UP, Santa Fe and I even have a Clinchfield Challenger 4-6-6-4 for the occasional trip down memory lane...my Uncle was a postman for Texas & Pacific, so I pick up as much rolling stock as I can. My freelanced Texas & Atlantic is a fictional transcontinental route from Ft Worth to North Carolina coast, which at least geographically interchanges with all my motive power, the opposite of the original T&P charter. I spent the majority of my childhood until 76 in NC, my wife born and raised so I have a connection to Southern RY there...

Your particular era?

I officially set it from 1956-1976. the late fifties only because of the lone steamer in the fleet. The era is also dictated by locomotive makes...E8/E9, GP38-2', H-15-44, GE 40 and 70 Tonner, U25B, B30-7, Alco RS 3, F7, GP7 , S4 switchers and PA1/PB1 to name a few. I also like the architecture from the 30s and 40s, which will let me occasionally backdate a scene or two while adding a couple of more modern Pikestuff or such can let me jump into the future when I start buying the big SD 70 monsters.....I started driving in 1976, which is when I started rail fanning in my 1970 Chevelle SS......

Again, because of my locomotive roster, my vast location could be anywhere along any southern route from Texas thru Ark, Ten and finally somewhere in the foothills of North Carolina. As fellow Texan Rev Billy Gibbons once said....."we're nationwide...."
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Sumpter250 Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:The DeLorean was destroyed at the end of BTF III. Doc replaced it with a time-traveling engine - remember?

357 357 Icon_twisted The DeLorean, was a time machine, so it could have visited a place after its "destruction", before it was destroyed. Icon_twisted 357 357
Yes, I do enjoy "Science Fiction"
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Actually, it could not because after it was gone, it could not travel back to before it was destroyed; however, Doc could have in his loco time machine, but chose not to if you recall because he felt that the secret should be kept out of peoples' hands.
I live in the region I model and I picked the 60's in light of the fact that the RR was still a producer and it has since surrendered the track age.
Hello Joanna,
Welcome on board.
Great information and grand people are on this forum.
This thread pretty much sums up what I am doing.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2638">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2638</a><!-- l --> and there are many more modelers that do a terrific job.
Charlie