Inexpensive signaling fun
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfjQu-3ayYY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfjQu-3ayYY</a><!-- m -->

Here is a video of my latest project
The whole thing started when I was replacing some recessed light fixtures in my house last summer. I had some of these rings and they reminded me of searchlight signals.
[Image: 001-27_zps312ee7e8.jpg]

I also had one of these couplings that I thought might become an oil tank I but never got around to using it. I cut it in half to make the hoods. I later rounded the edges of the hood fronts
[Image: 004-13_zpsc133e46a.jpg]

My original plan was to use light bulbs that plugged in so I bought two cheap clip on shop lights
[Image: 001_zpsbd803902.jpg]

Experimentation found that the bulbs got too hot and it was also inconvenient to plug in two more fixtures in my existing outlets under the layout. Then I found these battery operated LED "Tap lights". They can be turned on by pushing the lens or by using a wireless remote button. The cool thing is that when one is "on" and the other "off", the remote can activate them this way so they illuminate alternatively.
[Image: 003_zps61f455ba.jpg]
I kept the shop lights and rigged up a way to pop the LED lamps in securely. I cut a pair of short dowels and screwed the back covers of the lights to them. Then I wrapped electrical tape around one end so they fit snugly in the shop light sockets.
[Image: 007_zps90789c33.jpg]

[Image: 005_zpsba9768d7.jpg]

It took me a while to come up with red and green color filters for the lights but eventually decided on lids from old containers for Spackle and joint compound that beautifully fit the shop lights.
[Image: 009_zpsc6de462b.jpg]

I bought an $8.00 plastic light diffusing panel used for fluorescent ceiling lights and cut two disks out of it.
[Image: 010_zps0b6dc3df.jpg]
I painted the signal heads black and mounted the signal just above the layout in line of sight with my simulated control stand.
[Image: 011_zps51742c19.jpg]

"Proceed"
[Image: 013_zpsd29ee026.jpg]

"Stop"
[Image: 012_zpsb25f9a80.jpg]

The sign with the number 98 helps mask the bottom of the white pipe signal mast as it rests on top of my backdrop. I chose 98 as the signal number because my childhood home was near the 98 mile marker on Penn Central's River Line.
[Image: 014_zps258dee4a.jpg]

As I note in the video, the signal is a fun decoration but can be used to enhance operations. Guest operators using the simulated cab can look up from the TV monitor, see what the signal indication is, and stop or proceed as appropriate. I would control this manually as dispatcher/power block operator during sessions. Some day I may install functioning signals on the layout but this is a good start for now.
A very unusual but creative installation. It must be real fun to run a train on your layout sitting in your"cab". I think you invented something very remarkable Thumbsup
Reinhard
I have removed and tossed out dozens of those high hat trims and never once have I thought to turn them into a working signal.. My hat is off to you sir. That's one of the best ideas I've seen in a while.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
That looks great!! Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Cool idea.. Thumbsup

I love your control panel..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Ralph,

Nicely done Thumbsup

Bruce
Great idea Ralph, looks cool Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Ralph:
Worship Thumbsup Thumbsup
You get the message.
Charlie
What can I say that hasn't already been said? I'm impressed for sure with a lot of what you do, this included. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Very cool Ralph. Since you model PC that "stop" signal with number plate is actually a "Stop and Proceed". It looks quite authentic, way to recycle materials that would otherwise get thrown away.
-Dave