WPF 1/24 - 1/30
Was working next to the Lyndhurst NJ train station the other day, so I was able to grab a few shots.

What a difference an hour can make..

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
YPMA-03 with GP38-2 7966 switching the Flying Fish Brewery. This is a Mannheim Yard Job that signs on at 1500 and does the yard classification and switching duties.

Bruce            
An unusually busy day at West Mill...

[Image: 004_zps346e98b3.jpg]
NS local 5256 GP 38 on the NJT high line delivering some gons & 2 tank cars to the interchange track , for the the new Bio heat & fuel plant on the end of the PRT line!!! At the interchange track PRT 8205 with cab control is waiting for NJT to clear to head back to it's home rails!!!!! Thumbsup Confusedhock: Tongue

Attached Files Image(s)

An equivalent scene to the one just above, on the other side of the country:

Kamerad, I love how you catch the spirit of things!
e-paw Wrote:Was working next to the Lyndhurst NJ train station the other day, so I was able to grab a few shots.

What a difference an hour can make..

I just saw 4213 on the Atlantic City Line, and it has the new "fade" Stripe.

Whats really interesting is your PL42AC... It looks very familiar!

This is the first HO scale PL42AC ever made. It wasn't super fantastic, and I missed the reworked shells that were a little better, now no longer available. However, I bought this kit right before I decided to switch to the 1970, so I haven't gone back and done much with 4023. I might need to adjust the pilots (again), since the original run of these models were horribly flawed, and the coupler pockets weren't the same height on either end of the engine!

[Image: 72110GG1andjunk013.jpg]

Meanwhile, on 8/23/13, I spotted PL42AC 4022 in Harrison yard on the Northeast Corridor. This is where trains terminating in Newark Penn Station layover. Until recently, Newark Penn Station was the last stop until New York Penn Station, and so diesel powered trains could go no further as they could not run under power through the Hudson River tunnels. I don't think these Diesel trains stop at Secaucus Junction, which is now the last stop before the tunnels, since this is more of a transfer station between the Hoboken Division (Ex EL) and the Newark Division (EX PRR, and by extension, ex CNJ)

This train was likely a Raritan Valley Line train laying over. It will make a stop on New York Penn before heading about a mile south to Hunter Interlocking, where it will leave the wire and enter a short section of the former Lehigh Valley, and then onto the former CNJ.

[Image: P8231000.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Nice shots everyone Thumbsup .
GEC I'm surprised that NJT just doesn't do a power change at either Newark or Harrison and let a meatball take the train the rest of the way to NYC. Kind of like the old Perth Amboy engine swap.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:Nice shots everyone Thumbsup .
GEC I'm surprised that NJT just doesn't do a power change at either Newark or Harrison and let a meatball take the train the rest of the way to NYC. Kind of like the old Perth Amboy engine swap.

Unfortunately, I think the meatballs are all out of commission, unless you count the ALP46, which is more German than Swedish Tongue Apparently, the ALP44s are not really missed by anyone but railfans. I'm told they were obsolete to begin with, and their attempts to modernize them only made the locomotives less reliable.

In any event, I think the reason they don't swap the power is because there is such a high density of trains passing through Newark Penn. Its arguably one of the busiest stations, since every train coming from, or heading to New York Penn Stops there, except for maybe SOME Amtrak trains, and then you have all the Raritan Valley Line diesel trains, and diesel expresses to Bay Head (and PATH trains as well, though they don't run on the same tracks as the NEC).

I think the assumption is that if you're trying to get between Newark and New York, you can get on any electric NJ transit train, since they all stop at those destinations.

In fact, when they extended the electrification from South Amboy to Long Branch, they also did away with the engine swap. A diesel shuttle between Bay Head and Long Branch is timed to meet with inbound electric trains at Long Branch. Commuters simply walk from one side of the platform to the other and continue on.

What will be interesting to see, is whether or not the ALP45DP will change these sorts of operations, since it has both diesel and pantograph power. I think only a handful are in service, and my gut tells me they're running on the Hoboken side.
I'll have to try to get to Newark Penn the next time we're down that way. Are the trains visible from someplace that we can get to?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:I'll have to try to get to Newark Penn the next time we're down that way. Are the trains visible from someplace that we can get to?

Newark does not have a good reputation, though I'm sure the train station is safe. That said, even in my books, there are not many pictures taken of trains outside of Newark station (most are from within). The station is mostly covered up, so its difficult to get photos from the outside.

However, a popular spot has been the eastbound Harrison station platform of the PATH rapid transit line, which gives you a good view of the trains approaching and depart Newark Penn Station. It is just East of the "Dock" moveable bridges, and Newark Penn Station is literally on the other side of these bridges. The PATH trains themselves also go to Hoboken Terminal and Manhattan, so in theory, you could use the PATH to move around and railfan the NEC and the Hoboken lines (former DL&W and Erie railroad).

The PATH station is probably the best place, since there are no other station west of Newark before Hunter interlocking, where the Raritan Valley trains diverge off the NEC onto the Lehigh Line ( a freight line I think under NS control after the Conrail split).
Switcher in the backyard
[Image: IMG_3029_zps497a6191.jpg]

and in the streets
[Image: IMG_3032_zps4701bb0d.jpg]
Reinhard