A Questioning Thought for the Day
I rode in the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile when I was a kid and it didn't have any headlights at all..... Misngth
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
scubadude Wrote:I rode in the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile when I was a kid and it didn't have any headlights at all..... Misngth

That's because it is against the law to take your weinie for a ride after dark! Big Grin
yellowlynn Wrote:Can I, or can't I?

Well, in keeping with the strangeness of this whole thread...

You can if you may, but you can't if you mayn't. But if you can't but may, then you must can by mayn't with the permission given by those who permit such an occurrence. And if we must tie this thread in with railroading of any sort, I would suggest that you may, if you can, drive that loco, but you can't go through the roundhouse door if you mayn't open it first.

35 35 35 35 35 35 35 35

So put THAT in yer hat and smoke it.

George
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]
What goes up, must come .........due on April 15th!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I am not here right now. If you should find me before I get back, please hold me until I return.

"Ohhhh....I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner..."
I think......
Therefor I am........
I think.........
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Cogito, ergo sum - I think, therefore I am.

Cogito, ergo spud - I think, therefore I yam.
Cogito, ergo suds. I think...I am drunk.

Ne illegitmae, non carborundum.
Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

Antonius
A new day, a new question!

Everyone has seen or at least heard of the famous film "Citizen Kane". You may know that the film opens with Charles Foster Kane (Orson Welles) lying on his deathbed, alone in his house, uttering the word "Rosebud".

The next day, the media are scrambling, trying to figure out what "Rosebud" means. The rest of the movie (apart from flashbacks) deals with a reporter's efforts to uncover the meaning of "Rosebud".

Often cited as one of the most innovative movies in the history of film-making, this movie has inspired todays question:

If Charles Foster Kane died alone - how did anyone know what his final utterance was?
Squidbait Wrote:A new day, a new question!
...If Charles Foster Kane died alone - how did anyone know what his final utterance was?

The answer to that is quite simple, they just rented a copy of the film and found out what he said that way. Icon_lol Remember, like you said, it's right there in the beginning of the picture... 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Citizen Kane was so paranoid, he had security cameras (video AND sound) all over his house...So a quick check of the tapes revealed his last utterance... 2285_
Gus (LC&P).
"The last man on Earth was alone in his room. There was a knock on the door..."

Those two sentences, which I first read in the 50's, won the award for the shortest scifi story ever written, containing all of the necessary elements including mystery, suspense, and the suggested presence of alien life forms.

Citizen Kane was a piece of cake by comparison. Thumbsup

Convictus erectus eternus.
For the life of me I can't understand what all the mystery is about. EVERYBODY knows what a rosebud is. Why would he want to talk about baby flowers when anyone is around. It would be embarrassing to him to do so. Consequently, someone is trying to tear down his integrity by making up some ludicrous tale about flowers. He is probably thrilled that he wasn't called "pansy".

And besides, it is like George said, you mayn't not do somen't things like thatn't.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
Squidbait Wrote:A new day, a new question!

If Charles Foster Kane died alone - how did anyone know what his final utterance was?

Have you seen the film? It's a very long, but good flick. I liked it, but really got interested in it in college when I was studying American History.

Anyway, to answer your question...

In the opening scene, where Charles Kane whispers "Rosebud", it appears he is on his own in the room, while a nurse enters a couple of seconds after he dies. Many often suggest that no one could have heard him whisper the word, as the room appears to be occupied by only Kane himself. However, in the opening scene, the bedroom is only shown in fragments and closeups (this may have been intentional on Welles' part to withhold information) - the room in its entirety is never shown, and thus it is not entirely possible to ascertain that Kane was alone. Indeed, later in the film, Raymond, Kane's butler, informs Thompson the reporter that he was indeed in the room at the time of Kane's demise and heard the word "Rosebud" spoken.

George
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]